PDA

View Full Version : First solo away from the circuit

localflighteast
14th Jul 2013, 14:02
I know it’s probably no big deal to you guys, but I did myfirst solo flight out of the circuit yesterday!

One beautiful, amazing hour of solo time, just enjoying theview!

Weather conditions were perfect, fantastic visibility. Ibarely glanced at my charts, the navigation was so easy! Not bad for a girl whostill gets lost in her home city!

Not sure I need a plane to fly at the moment. I’m walking onair.:ok:

Dark Helmet
14th Jul 2013, 14:21
Congratulations! Wonderful feeling isn't it - seeing the airfield disappear behind you. And of course seeing it again on the return leg.

2close
14th Jul 2013, 14:24
Congratulations, LFE!!

It is a stunning feeling, is it not? That and the first solo circuit are major milestones, although I still think my greatest buzz was the landing off my first solo gliding (on aerotow).

Well done and here's to many more happy flying hours. :ok:

Lone_Ranger
14th Jul 2013, 14:25
Well done ma'am, great isnt it?, many people say they never forget their first solo.....well memories of mine are distinctly hazy, BUT I remember clearly the day I was let free for for my first solo out of the circuit..Magic stuff, enjoy the buzz, you earnt it.

India Golf
14th Jul 2013, 17:14
I did my first solo last month, my first solo away from base was amazing, even better was the first solo landaway. I couldn't believe I got there all by myself; and then made it back home. I felt like a proper pilot!

My instructor is keen on me gaining my 10 solo hours reasonably quickly. I'm loving it.

GGR
14th Jul 2013, 17:14
The additional performance gained by 1 POB first solo will stay with me forever.

Well done LFE many happy hours ahead of you now'

GGR

Crash one
14th Jul 2013, 21:52
Well done Ma'am. That's what it's all about.

archbishop
14th Jul 2013, 22:38
Congratulations!! For me, my first solo navex was far better than my first solo and my qxc was the best experience I had during my training...

thing
15th Jul 2013, 16:05
Well done that pilot! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

^+1 to the above. My first solo was just me flying without the talking ballast, didn't get the big deal about it. However the QXC left me with a big grin for quite a while. It was the first time I felt like a pilot.

Pace
15th Jul 2013, 23:53
LocalFlightEast

I remember your last post which was amazing! So cool :ok: A real natural and I am sure a future female Captain/FO on some heavy metal.
This is one of my babies in Goose Bay! Now that was one heck of a cross country out of the circuit :E

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ryBbL1NcyqA/UNQzwP2rYHI/AAAAAAAACMc/ZVYd3I_h8B0/s640/IMG_0824.JPG

localflighteast
16th Jul 2013, 11:46
Thanks Pace. I remember the giggles you gave me when I was stressing over my first solo!

Hmm, now why would I want to become a professional pilot :p. I have a reasonably paid stable job!

Seriously I have no ambitions other than to get my PPL and enjoy flying, both of which I'm working on at the moment.

The solo away from the circuit was probably the most enjoyable flying I've ever done. Again not bad for someone who needed coaxing into the cockpit in the first place.

It just goes to show how the right instructor makes all the difference, one who understands the psychological aspects as well as the stick and rudder stuff.

He had me wanting to do this, it is a very powerful feeling when someone has that much faith in you. :ok:

That plane is stunning BTW, where can I get me one of those? ;)

Rhino25782
16th Jul 2013, 16:39
Hmm, now why would I want to become a professional pilot http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/tongue.gif. I have a reasonably paid stable job!
Seriously I have no ambitions other than to get my PPL and enjoy flying, both of which I'm working on at the moment.Haha, yeah. Same thing - I got my license recently and whenever people ask me about my future career in flying, I ask them whether they wanted to become a bus driver after being awarded their driver's license. :rolleyes:

Btw. I just had my first "solo with license" and it almost felt like my first solo flight again.. Partly, though, because I didn't get a chance to fly solo for 5 months between the training and the license issue.

localflighteast
16th Jul 2013, 19:33
that sucks about the 5 month delay thing ... weather or licensing issue?

Rhino25782
16th Jul 2013, 20:15
weather or licensing issue?

A bit of both... Long story cut short: I partially passed my skill test in California in January and then ran out of weather and time there. To complete the PPL in Germany, I needed to sort out some bureaucratic hassles (like finding a German examiner willing to certify himself to test UK license applicants) and take some lessons at the local flight school and the weather has been a disaster throughout spring. Finally, the license application itself took longer than normal because of the transition from national to EASA (~ European Union) aviation regulations.

localflighteast
16th Jul 2013, 20:48
Yeuch
I've read stuff about the EASA farce on pprune
Sounds fun
As much as people complain about transport Canada , the one good thing is , you pass your flight test and written exam. As soon as your flight school looks over and agrees you've met all the prerequisites they sign the back of your student permit and you are good until your actual booklet comes through
Organize it properly and you can fly an hour after passing the skills test !

flyinkiwi
17th Jul 2013, 00:18
Organize it properly and you can fly an hour after passing the skills test !

How many PPLs have done precisely that and gone flying just after a checkride?

I was in no state to operate an aircraft safely after the examiner shook my hand and congratulated me, I was mentally drained and emotionally on cloud 9.

localflighteast
17th Jul 2013, 00:41
None, I suspect , that have any sense
But the next day or weekend is nice !

FlyingKiwi_73
18th Jul 2013, 02:19
I was in no state to operate an aircraft safely after the examiner shook my hand and congratulated me, I was mentally drained and emotionally on cloud 9.

Neither me or the examiner were,... straight to the bar!!!

glencoeian
18th Jul 2013, 13:16
well done I did my first solo in May, have only flown twice since then and weather hasn't been good enough for me to solo in the circuit again, as soon as I do then it's my turn to solo away from the airfield too !

dubbleyew eight
18th Jul 2013, 14:20
One beautiful, amazing hour of solo time, just enjoying theview!

hmmmm. weren't you supposed to be out practising stalls and stuff?

localflighteast
18th Jul 2013, 14:42
I feel your pain it is awful when the weather screws with you, so frustrating.
I remember the run up to my first solo, we were just waiting for the conditions to be right. I took a week's vacation from work just in case. It blew 35 knots the entire week. :(

Here's hoping for clear skies for you

dubbleyew eight

ermm , possibly, ;)
there may have been a small likelyhood that I should, technically speaking, have been doing steep turns.

I may possibly have done some turns , although not necessarily of the steep variety :O

Seriously the practice area is a little ways away , a lot of this flight was just navigating there and back successfully