PDA

View Full Version : Transferring at Heathrow

Espada III
14th Jul 2013, 12:52
Against my better judgement I have booked the flight MAN - TLV via LHR, with British Airways. The outbound first leg arrives in Terminal 5 and the second leg departs Terminal 1 two hours later. Coming home the international flight arrives into Terminal 3 and departs from Terminal 5 to Manchester 95 minutes later.

I only realised I had to transfer terminals a few days after I booked the flights. I assumed it was all either Terminal 1 or 5.

LHR website gives a 90 minute ground transfer time between these terminals. I booked the flights on the BA.com website, so I assume BA have considered the implications of the transfer? Do I stand a chance of making these connections?

ExXB
15th Jul 2013, 08:43
If the connections come from BA then you are covered in the event you misconnect. This would normally mean food/drink/accommodation if/where required and a rebooking/rerouting to your next stopping point.

Rebooking/rerouting onto another airline is very unlikely unless you have status or have paid a relatively high fare. Caveat Emptor - this could cost you a day which will not be compensated for. Automatically that is, if you can prove a loss the courts could require BA to cover those up to the maximum set out in the Montreal Convention 1999.

Heathrow can experience bad weather (I'm waiting for the runways too hot excuse), and closures for safety events. (On the R&Ns thread re ET's 787 there is speculation that they only have enough foam / firefighters for one incident) I avoid it like the plague.

Espada III
15th Jul 2013, 08:55
Yes. If I cannot use the direct loco flights I usually travel with Swiss or Lufthansa, but the timings for the BA were pretty good and the price was also at par. I haven't yet heard of someone on this route missing the connection, but there is always a first time.....

wiggy
15th Jul 2013, 09:24
As you know going via LHR you're always rolling the dice but IMHO both are connections are tight but "do able".

Captivep
17th Jul 2013, 10:49
It will help that you're on BA all the way through but I think the timing is rather tight!

lakerman
19th Jul 2013, 15:31
The last time I flew BA, I left MAN to LHR, stayed overnight and then next morning flew to LAX. No luggage transfer as it got lost between the arriving a/c and the next morning departure. I flew worldwide for 45 years, lost my luggage 4 times, 3 on BA and one on Saudia. You have been warned.
Edited to add I had booked my luggage through from MAN to LAX and just retained enough in my handluggage for the overnight at LHR.

Espada III
21st Jul 2013, 16:44
Hand luggage only for this trip.

Espada III
4th Aug 2013, 15:23
Transfer from T5 to T1 made in plenty of time, despite parking up on a remote stand at T5 and going around the houses to be dropped off. Wonder why they say it can take up to 90 minutes? Including security it couldn't have taken more than 35 - 40 and that was with a very slow security crew with only one scanner each for bodies and bags.

SLFLurker
8th Aug 2013, 01:34
When we flew NCL-LAX a year or so back, I checked the LHR website for information about flight connections. The site said up to 60 mins to connect T5-T5. Through in 5-10.

But then we've had horrendous journeys through flight connections in the past too and were run through T3 once to connect to a transatlantic flight )connection late in, horrendous queues at passport control and then for the FCC bus.