PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding what to next!

LukePilot152
13th Jul 2013, 23:09
Hello,

Now, I'm here because I think it'd be a great idea to get some input from the people who are most probably more knowledgeable than me. What I'd like is some input on what I should do next, effectively.

I'm 16 years old and I've just completed 4 hours of solo time in training for my EASA PPL. My big ambition is to get a career as an airline pilot. Yes, I know that bit sounds very 'cliche', but after having my heart set on aviation it's hard to change my mind.
What I'd like to know is, once I complete my PPL (hopefully!), what should I do next? I can't apply for sponsored schemes or anything integrated until I'm a little older, so do I just keep my license ticking over until I'm old enough, or thoroughly build hours to go down the modular route towards a CPL?

Any input much appreciated!

pudoc
14th Jul 2013, 00:44
Depends on what your commitments are. But if you get your PPL at 17, you could be ready to do your CPLs skills test at 18. I don't know the exact rules, but you only need to be 18 for CPL issue or maybe test.

I suggest you apply to the Bristol Ground School ATPL scholarship where you'll get free ATPL theory if you're one of the winners.

This if for modular. The better route IMO, but I am biased and others will have their own opinion.

Join the cadets if you can, go gliding.

Airclues
14th Jul 2013, 08:09
LukePilot152

Have you had a look through the links on this ?

http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/251490-archive-reference-threads-posting-guidelines-read-before-you-post-question.html

bex88
14th Jul 2013, 08:24
Enjoy your PPL, gain some experience and have fun with it. Apply to the BA FPP when your old enough. If you do any commercial training above your ppl under current rules you cannot apply. If that does not work out do your modular training if that's what you want to do but I would not be in a massive rush just yet. Easier said than done though

LukePilot152
14th Jul 2013, 11:49
Pudoc: I quite like the look of the Modular route, but would happily commit to an integrated scheme if needs be. I didn't quite fancy joining the cadets, as our local squadron is full of people I know that are trouble makers. However, after doing some voluntary work, I did manage to get a few hours of gliding done at my local gliding strip.

Airclues: I did have a look through the sticky, and found some great stories and some rather off-putting articles. However, while some of the information was relative to my course, I couldn't help but notice that the threads were over 10 years old on the best part. The aviation industry has no doubt changed since the time around 9/11.

Bex88: I'd love to get some flying done on my PPL, and I'm currently looking into possible shares and groups to get as much flying as possible done without being a pesky hour builder.

Thanks for the replies, as I said in the original post, the input from everyone makes it much clearer.

pudoc
14th Jul 2013, 13:25
You have to take the negative comments on pprune with a lot of salt. If every negative comment on pprune was true, my training and getting my first job would have been extremely different.

That's not to say ignore the negativity, you must have a realistic idea of what you're getting in to. But it's very exaggerated on here in more posts than not.

Rithalic
14th Jul 2013, 22:53
Keep doing what you are doing, fly as often as you can, keep volunteering and gliding, make connections and get known at the clubs.

Also ensure you nail your schoolwork, get high marks and be as educated as you can.

Plus get your ears firmly pressed to the ground over the next few years and be aware of all the likely organisations/guilds/companies that run scholarships, cadetships, internships, tagged/mentored schemes etc and the second something comes up that you can apply for get in there.

Oh and don't forget to be young, make some mistakes and have fun!

Good luck!

LukePilot152
15th Jul 2013, 07:55
Thanks Rithalic, that's great advice, and advice that I shall try my best to follow.