PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed: Central Serous Retinopathy

Skymaster15L
12th Jul 2013, 18:48
Hello everyone,

I have searched this forum desperately and as most thread are a few years old, I need some new information on my condition.
I have recently been diagnosed with central serous retinopathy in one eye after experiencing the very first symptoms of it about 5 months ago. During this time, it did not go away on its own as it should in most cases. The area affected is at my seven o clock, halfway between my central and the very edge of my visual field in that particular eye. My central vision is unaffected, I can see just fine, but the symptoms that I see every time I blink or look a bright background are very annoying. After being diagnosed, my doctor put me on 30 days medication. One month later at the follow up, the bubble of fluid decreased very little, so I was given another 30 days to see if the condition resolves itself. At my next appointment, if nothing changes again, I am due for a Fluorescein angiography and either face the option of having intra ocular injection with a drug called Avastin or laser to seal the leak shut.

I am currently studying for my ATPL theory exams and this diagnosis, alongside with what looks like a really bleak prospect of the condition resolving itself, has really put a downer on things. I would like to ask you guys for some suggestions or information about what particular options I have, or what the best course of action would be in notifying the UK CAA? I currently am not doing any flying and do not hold any JAA license because I am converting an FAA CPL. However, I have a valid UK CAA Class 1 medical that was needed in order to be admitted into the ATPL theory course.

My big dilemma is:
should I should tell them now over the phone just to be safe,
should I go to Gatwick in person, tell them about ti and have them consult me in person in the hopes they will give me some advice
should I wait until my doctor says I need a medical procedure done if the condition persists until my next checkup, then let them know,
should I go thru whatever is needed to get my eyesight healed first, then just put it down on the form when I renew my medical and deal with it then?

If I do have to go thru with some form of surgery, I would still like to seek the advice of the AME in Gatwick beforehand. But once I tell them, I do not know if they will automatically revoke or suspend my currently valid medical, or not. In case I face suspension and my school is notified of this, I'm worried about not being able to continue my ground studies and JAA written exams, going over the time limit, and losing credit on all of my exams already taken. I would like to keep studying under my current medical, while concurrently, my condition will hopefully heal, but obviously not at the cost of being untruthful to the CAA.

Any ideas or suggestions? I'm not yet fully familiar how the medical reporting works here in the EU, but in the US, as far as I'm aware, if a condition that affects your flying exists, you shouldn't go fly, however you do not have to report anything early, until the medical appointment comes up. Things are getting really stressful at this point and I would just like to double check that I not being too hasty in decisions that could possibly be detrimental to my career but at the same time, not to break any rules of the game. :uhoh:

Thank you for taking the time to read this
Hope everyone stays in good health!

Scottish.CPL
14th Jul 2013, 22:20
Tell the Caa everything, if you don't you will be in serious trouble with paperwork and you could get fined for failure to disclose

OFSO
15th Jul 2013, 09:47
To answer a question that wasn't asked - the IMO (Institute for Micro Oracular Surgery) in Barcelona is one of the worlds best. Haven't been treated there myself but have taken several friends for eye surgery. They do things you would not believe, such as moving damaged parts of the retina to unimportant parts of the eye and stitching (never lasers which leave blind spot) new sections of retina in place. High percentage of clients are from overseas - lots of our American cousins fly over for ops there.

Skymaster15L
15th Jul 2013, 14:09
Guys, thanks for the feedback so far. With regards to keeping the CAA informed ,it never was a matter of not telling them, just a matter of when to tell them. I'm not sure if there is (or isn't) a certain time limit beyond which I have to disclose to them, once I discover I have a certain condition, and I still have a quite a while to go before my medical is due for renewal-the USA/AOPA's way of guidance.

Either way from the looks of it and the experiences of others, I assume the CAA is still an invaluable resource when it comes to giving you some advice, which ultimately goes towards your own good, because it is up to the same people to re-certify you. And at this point, I'm all about gathering as much help and guidance as I can. Once I call the CAA and tell them, maybe I can squeeze in an appointment at Gatwick before my regular doctor is due to consult me at the upcoming checkup, so I can get the AME to look at my condition sooner, for some peace of mind.

Since it does look like they might suspend my licence until I pass the examination, I'm really curios if in the meantime, I will still be able to book my written exams with the CAA, assuming my condition takes longer to heal, and in the meantime I will be sitting without a medical?

@ bral-
I'm glad to hear they were still able to give you your class 1 back in '95, however, I know for a fact that today, stereoscopic/binocular vision is required, at least for us beginners. I do not know if the rules are all the same all across the board, or vary with experience levels.

Does anyone know though, if today you can still get a class 1 today with CSR that won't go away, as long as it doesn't affect your central vision, or does one have to have the condition completely cured before they re-certify you?

OFSO, I will take down that name you gave me, one never knows. Thank you