PDA

View Full Version : NEW ZEALAND RPL

gulfairs
10th Jul 2013, 21:04
NZ CAA, in its omnipotent fashion,have after some 2.5 years decided to re issue the existing RPL holders a licence without an expiry date as does USA UK the rest of the western world. And let the medical have its existing limitations.
I suggested this to "them" 2 years ago but "no" was the answer, because a two or four year renewal generated another nz$50.00.
The NZ RPL allows straight and level flying only.
Steep turns are classified as an aerobatic manoever, so only 25 degree banks are allowed, no glider towing, nor is my flight instructor rating valid, because once one is physically impaired,ones intellectual ability is also impaired.
I have held an unrestricted single and multi engined instructor rating with examiner qualification to issue and renew licenses up to a c category flight instructor since 1960 and yet now I cannot teach any body to fly because of my geriatric physical impairment.
NZ CAA wish to lower the accident rate on domestic flying, and they are successful; because with no pilots there are no accidents!:

DeltaT
19th Jul 2013, 08:24
I hear you.
Wait and see what the effect of the $300 Medical fee does to the Pilot numbers!

DrT33th
19th Jul 2013, 21:31
Try $300 fee plus another $300 to the LME. :eek:

Oktas8
28th Jul 2013, 04:48
nor is my flight instructor rating valid, because once one is physically impaired,ones intellectual ability is also impaired

You're in an unfortunate position for sure, and I'm sorry that you can't do what you enjoy doing any more.

Just thinking back to the purpose of the RPL though, wouldn't giving flight instruction be somewhat at cross purposes with the "R" of "RPL"? Allowing formal, log-book certified flight instruction might open a bit of a Pandora's Box.