PDA

View Full Version : RAF and ATC Abroad

FlyingBlindUK
10th Jul 2013, 16:21
My friend went to do her Airwomen Selection Test last week for Aerospace Systems Operator with the RAF. She was wandering if it's her choice to go to other countries or if the RAF will command it and she will have no choice or if that only applies to soldiers. If she does get stationed in Afghanistan for example will she be safe and secure?

Also the website says that after one year of training she will receive £17K... how much will that figure increase over the years.

Thank you.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Jul 2013, 19:11
I don't know the current rules but when my wife was in the WRAF she was posted where they wanted her to go. However, it was quite easy to swap with someone of a similar trade at a more convenient base. In those days, WRAF personnel could leave when they wanted to and were not tied to a particular length of time like airmen. When we got married she left in one week!

SteveTonks
10th Jul 2013, 20:19
You go where the RAF want you to go. You can display a preference for posting but deployments happen when you name is at the top of the list.

Pay scales can be found online, just google it.

Security wise se would be as safe as the next person at any of the main operating bases.

FlyingBlindUK
11th Jul 2013, 18:02
Thanks for the replies lads. The reason I ask about safety is because on of the Sergeants told us a story about how one base was raided in Afghanistan. How common is this?

flyelmoair
11th Jul 2013, 21:26
As an ASO, to my knowledge, she'll go to one of two bases in the uk. One near Newcastle and the other near Lincoln and in a darkened room. Operational dets may include the Falkland Islands or, not that I'm overly sure of due to the nature of that role, unlikely Afghanistan. Very few places abroad for that role I'm made aware.

Security isn't going to be an issue. If she likes daylight suggest another job.

FlyingBlindUK
12th Jul 2013, 15:51
I sent you a private message and didn't receive a reply so I'll post it here:

"Hello Sir, thank you for the response! I would like to ask you a couple questions which you'll hopefully answer.

1) Are you saying she will be based in the UK most likely? Because the Sergeant told her that every 3 or so years they are likely to move job roles.

2) How is the pay rate? On the website it says 17K after one year of training. Does this escalate quickly?

3) Overall how is life in the forces; is it a pleasant experience?

Thank you."

The second two questions I could probably Google but sometimes the most accurate answer comes from someone actually doing the job.

Edit: Is it possible to switch to Air Traffic Control after a few years? Or even to switch to NATS?

FantomZorbin
13th Jul 2013, 07:53
Or even to switch to NATS

Within the UK military, Air Traffic Control Officers (ATCO) hold a 'Certificate of Competency' this is not the same as civilian ATCO Licence issued iaw the Air Navigation Order.

A holder of a Certificate would have to pass the appropriate parts of the ATCO Licence syllabus to gain the Licence, usually at personal expense, then Validate at the Air Traffic Service Unit where they are based.

I wish your friend well in her endeavours but she should remember that when in the Armed Forces one cannot 'pick and choose' - the 'exigencies of the Service' will always be paramount.

lj101
13th Jul 2013, 12:25
Flyingblind

1. She will be mainly based in the UK but may get an option to have a tour abroad. If she checks out the RAF careers web site there is more information as to her options.
2. Pay charts 2013 here - go to page 63 http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/cm85/8571/8571.pdf
3. I would say that life in the Armed Forces is subjective but I still think its a great career and would still recommend joining up... depending on chosen branch.

diginagain
13th Jul 2013, 12:30
She was wandering ...Happens to all of us at some stage.

Wyler
13th Jul 2013, 13:09
As an ASO she will be non commissioned and part of TG12. If she wishes to transfer to ATC that is TG9 and that kind so transfer is very uncommon. There is work ongoing to merge the two but I don't think it is imminent. If she wants to go ATC in the future then she should apply now and look at either going for a Commission or looking at direct entrant SNCO Controller (An ATC Officer can give more info on that).
The ABM Branch does offer fast track to SNCO Controller after several years service. You do the full course in present rank (SAC or NCO) and get promoted to SGT on successful completion.
Main first tour jobs for ASO are at Boulmer and Scampton. She will go to the Falklands at least once in each rank. Thereafter there are numerous jobs for ASOs in various units and out of Branch posts.
Risk? Yes, it is the military. Will she be sent to different places? Yes, it is the military. Will she have a say? Yes but at the end of the day you go where you are sent. If she has even the slightest problem with any of that then I really do not think the RAF is for her. We have absolutely no shortage of very keen applicants. Sorry, but those are the facts. I wish her the very best in making the right choice.

FlyingBlindUK
13th Jul 2013, 14:19
Thank you for the in-depth information lads! The problem is she applied to be an ATC in the first place on the online application. But she didn't pick Officer/Non-Commisioned Air Crew and accidentally applied for ASO. On the website however it says that an officer must do the airwomen selections tests anyway which she has already passed so she's going to call them up now and see if it's too late to switch or not.

Thanks guys!

Canadian Break
13th Jul 2013, 16:32
"But she didn't pick Officer/Non-Commisioned Air Crew and accidentally applied for ASO"

Not a good omen really - is it?

Top Bunk Tester
13th Jul 2013, 16:46
Also entering with a desert dodging attitude doesn't bode well. :=

Il Duce
13th Jul 2013, 18:13
Might be a good idea for her to visit an AFCO, explain the internet application malfunction and see if she can start the application afresh. That would also be a good time to sit down and get all the answers to the questions you've posed.

Pontius Navigator
13th Jul 2013, 18:51
Will she be sent to different places? Yes, it is the military. Will she have a say? Yes but at the end of the day you go where you are sent.

But the choices are effectively trades group limited. Some trades group go to many places and some go to very few. From the postings here it would appear that TG12 has a very limited mobility. If she doesn't like Northumberland then Lincolnshire it is.

Once she has a tour under her belt I am sure other positions will become available. Unless it has changed there are a few ASOP at Waddington. It is that first tour which is important. Learn the ropes, don't act bored, and keep smiling.

phantomlurker
14th Jul 2013, 00:08
What on earth makes you think NATS wants more controllers?!

Robert Cooper
14th Jul 2013, 03:47
If she wants to be "safe and secure" maybe she should join the civil service.

Bob C

dagowly
15th Jul 2013, 10:03
^my sentiments exactly. I she's sent to afghan, it's an order, if she wants to appeal, then she must be made aware of the consequences of being listed as a non-warfighter first, core values etc etc. it's not a good thing.

FlyingBlindUK
15th Jul 2013, 11:29
She's trying to get an understand of all the different possibilities is all. Thank you lads you have been fabulous! Have a great afternoon.

Mad_Mark
16th Jul 2013, 05:01
My friend went to do her Airwomen Selection Test last week... Your 'friend'? :hmm:

She was wandering if it's her choice to go to other countries or if the RAF will command it... 'She' will be in the military and do as she is told, when she is told :ugh:

If she does get stationed in Afghanistan for example will she be safe and secure? If 'she' wants to be nice and safe then join the Girl Guides not the military :rolleyes:

Also the website says that after one year of training she will receive £17K... how much will that figure increase over the years. Google "Royal Air Force pay scales" :ok:

MadMark!!! :mad: