PDA

View Full Version : New York E34 Heliport - Advertising more important than safety?

helihub
10th Jul 2013, 05:07
Does the complete lack of "H" markings make New York's East 34th Street heliport less safe?

Advertising from Swiss watch brand Audemars Piguet continues to replace the "H" markings....

http://helihub.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/130710-audemars-2x.jpg

Gordy
10th Jul 2013, 05:50
Really? Are you for real....?

Don't know about the rest of the pilots on here, but I for one am perfectly capable of landing a helicopter without the need for an "H" to show me where to put the skids......

DirtDiver
10th Jul 2013, 05:56
Would be fun to get a free watch when you land on one of there watches ;):cool:

Jarvy
10th Jul 2013, 06:34
I used to live a few blocks from the heliport and I can say that it seem to make no difference to the pilots and why should it.

misterbonkers
10th Jul 2013, 07:41
Helihub I'm very surprised by the title you chose! I was expecting a big billboard halfway across the FATO!

Surely a better title would have been 'Watch where you're landing in New York!'

helihub
10th Jul 2013, 09:04
misterbonkers - well, the title got attention - I'm not saying I agree with it!

One of the key ideas of an "H" is to give vertical reference by having contrasting colours between the "H" and its background. Clearly the "AP" logo achieves that, but what if you are landing in grotty weather and relying on a "watch" logo at E34 - is there sufficient contrast between the watch and its background? I don't know. I'm glad to hear that all replies so far are positive.

I assume they had to get FAA clearance for this, given it's a public use heliport and they have removed the (I assume required) "H" and circle? Would the UK CAA allowing it? What if offshore rigs had their "H" replaced by the oil company logo, would that make any difference?

Saint Jack
10th Jul 2013, 09:10
".....Advertising more important than safety?" doesn't seem to matter too much does it - not a lot of traffic there!

Lima Oscar
10th Jul 2013, 09:52
Saint Jack, have you ever been to East 34th ?
It's a very busy heliport, by far more than the Paris and London heliports together. During week days, the heliport is almost full all day long with helicopters circling around waiting for a spot...

SASless
10th Jul 2013, 12:18
Even Gordy would not have a hard time landing there....it would be fun to watch him do it even if he was using an AP at the last minute.:E

nomorehelosforme
10th Jul 2013, 14:35
I wonder how much advertising space like that might be worth? Battersea to follow suit? Harrods might be interested?

Grenville Fortescue
10th Jul 2013, 16:03
Surely a better title would have been 'Watch where you're landing in New York!'

Indeed!

Harrods might be interested?

They may have been when they owned it but as you no doubt know, the heliport is now the property of David and Simon Reuben.

nomorehelosforme
10th Jul 2013, 16:14
Was thinking the advertising income might get them flying again! But been owned by the Qatar royal family who reportably paid 186 million for the the Penthouse at 1Hyde Park, advertising is probably a low priority, so why no Air Harrods?

Grenville Fortescue
10th Jul 2013, 16:45
so why no Air Harrods?

Someone reading RH is bound to know because there's at least one AH driver who's a member here.

People go on about not seeing AH at the majors like Cheltenham, Ascot, Silverstone etc. but those events are not indicative of overall utilisation. The real question is how busy were they between such events. The Arabs, while flush with cash (for now), don't like propping-up activities which are not making a profit unless that activity has some special interest to them.

As I say, someone on here will know - even if they tend to keep quiet about it and which most seem to do.

nomorehelosforme
10th Jul 2013, 16:53
I must agree, the cars belonging to the the Qatar friends and family parked outside The Dorchester last weekend show that have no need for any form of commercial enterprise when it comes to any form of travel!

TIMTS
10th Jul 2013, 17:48
The ads are not in place of H's at all.
At E34th you land on the lines, between the ads. Passengers are led to and from the helicopters over the ads...

Just sayin'

nomorehelosforme
10th Jul 2013, 18:26
Are all the other landing pads piers selling their space?

ShyTorque
10th Jul 2013, 20:39
Al I can say is - strap in and watch where you land. This is a probably just a wind-up in any case.

Sir Korsky
10th Jul 2013, 21:27
The only NYC heliport with a true H is Wall Street. It's only used by the twins to land then wheel taxi to the letter spots, avoiding tour passenger skittles with the downwash. Most users of 34th St are tri gear twins that will put the nose wheel on the line. The arrows are for reference. The S92s will take up two spots. That is a recent picture showing the new fuel install and the absence of the cabin on the right that was washed away by Sandy.

nomorehelosforme
10th Jul 2013, 22:47
Have expressed an interest in other NYC landing sites!

nomorehelosforme
10th Jul 2013, 22:49
Surely wheels at this watch site!

HeliHenri
11th Jul 2013, 10:40
Monaco , watches again but as the brand name is "Hublot" , helihub will be pleased to note that there is an H ! ;)

http://nsa34.casimages.com/img/2013/07/11/13071112203197868.jpg (http://www.casimages.com/img.php?i=13071112203197868.jpg)
http://nsa34.casimages.com/img/2013/07/11/130711123301800142.jpg (http://www.casimages.com/img.php?i=130711123301800142.jpg)