PDA

View Full Version : Problems with large passengers

zigzag prod
9th Jul 2013, 15:26
Hi all,

Im working on a UK documentary for Channel 5 about travel and holidays. Its looking at issues affecting overweight people (ie would struggle or might not even fit in seat) while travelling.

I am looking for a pilot and/or cabin crew to take part in the programme that would be willing to discuss the issues of dealing with larger passengers.

If you are interested in taking part please email: [email protected]

Thanks!

Filip

cyflyer
9th Jul 2013, 18:52
Maybe you should have posted this in the cabin crew forum ? As for the pilots, doubt very much if they have any dealings with accomodating larger passengers, its not their job. They have an airplane to fly. This would be cabin crew territory.

VP-F__
9th Jul 2013, 22:46
depends what you fly, I had to deal with a lass who weighed in at 194 kgs once whilst operating an Islander!

Hartington
10th Jul 2013, 13:01
Hope that your program will also contain something on the issue of large passengers taking the space of passengers seated next to them.

srobarts
10th Jul 2013, 15:30
I travelled around Africa as an SLF about 18 years ago. On some flights, mainly West African ones there were often ladies trading cloth, who wrapped it around themselves to avoid paying excess baggage. You had the bizarre vision of very large ladies with tiny heads. Always dreaded sitting next to one as they certainly overflowed their seat.

Dak Man
10th Jul 2013, 15:37
Have you defined overweight? most are merely undertall......

llondel
11th Jul 2013, 18:23
most are merely undertall......

Passenger seating on aircraft isn't suited to long or wide passengers. As someone over 6ft, it's a really small space, especially when the occupant of the seat in front fully reclines. My eyesight is such that I can't see the seatback screen when that happens, even with my normal reading glasses. I have about an inch in front of my knees with my back pressed against my seat.

Having said that, it would be hell being stuck next to someone who wanted half my seat as well, it's difficult enough as it is. Fortunately most of my flying in the past five years has either been at company expense in a better seat or flying with family, and having a small child (although he does insist on getting bigger) in the middle makes it easier for the adults.

cyflyer
12th Jul 2013, 05:13
You got to see this
Should Obese People Have To Buy Two Seats On A Plane? - YouTube

but if your not happy with that just put "fat people in airplanes" in you tube and there's hours of stuff.

llondel
12th Jul 2013, 17:35
In that video, in all their discussion about who pays for a second seat, they missed the point that very often a flight is full (so no spare seat) and they may not know in advance that someone is wide enough to need two seats. Who gets denied boarding? The person needing two, or the person who would have otherwise occupied that second seat?

EEngr
13th Jul 2013, 04:07
they may not know in advance that someone is wide enough to need two seats.Of course not. But who is responsible for identifying other special needs when a ticket is bought? The passenger. So just make this a condition of purchase. You will fit in a seat X inches wide. Or you will purchase a second (adjacent) seat. None available? Sorry about that.

M-ONGO
20th Jul 2013, 06:47
Little Britain - Fatfighters (Marjory) - YouTube

The Pain of Overweight Airline Passengers - Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/sites/ceciliarodriguez/2012/05/29/the-pain-of-overweight-airline-passengers/)

Flying while Fat ? Superfat Tips for International Air Travel | Stacy Bias ? Fat Activist and Body Image Campus Speaker (http://stacybias.net/2012/01/flying-while-fat-superfat-tips-for-international-air-travel/)

Fatties AND stinkers no longer welcome on planes | BitterWallet (http://www.bitterwallet.com/fatties-and-stinkers-no-longer-welcome-on-planes/25927)