PDA

View Full Version : Instructing to 1st jet or TP job?

Bearcat F8F
9th Jul 2013, 10:45
Hi everyone,

I thought I would ask this question here since I've heard on a number of occasions how people have moved from instructing onto bizz jets.

How good an idea is it to become a CFI with further intent to finding a jet or TP job?

I am just about to start studying for the ATPLs. Never really considered becoming a CFI but if this increases your chances of getting that 1st job then I may very well consider it.

Could any of you with experience give your opinions on this. Is it really worth becoming an instructor with a view on increasing your employment chances in the future?

I would love to hear personal stories/ experiences. PMs welcome also.

Thanks

P.S. I know a few will reply something like "you shouldn't be instructing if you have no interest in it but only want to fly jets bla bla bla". I can assure you I will think long and hard on any decision I make, and the ones I decide to go ahead with I will maintain the utmost professionalism and try to make sure that job is done to the highest standard regardless of my future intent. And perhaps I might enjoy instructing.

redsnail
9th Jul 2013, 13:32
It's not a bad idea so long as when you're instructing, you're giving the student the very best you can and not wasting their time and money.
The instructor rating will teach you how to fly.
It does give you a chance to gain experience and to make more contacts.

Where you work will have a bearing on your opportunities to move on, especially if you're interested in the corporate world.

I did a Grade III instructor rating in Australia but as I was only part time, I couldn't get many students. However, I was given various tasks and responsibilities beyond "turning up and jumping in" which helped when I set off looking for my first bush charter job. That experience and contacts helped enormously. So for me, hours, not so much; "experience" within the industry, invaluable.

Trim Stab
9th Jul 2013, 16:58
Yes, definitely spend a few years instructing, especially if you want to go onto biz jets.

It will massively improve your hand-flying skills - even if most of the time you do not have hands on controls, you are constantly judging a student's circuit/PFL/steep turn or whatever, and when you come do to it yourself the visual references are completely ingrained. It will massively improve your knowledge of the regulations - since you will be constantly be asked questions by students. It will also much improve your r/t. In 100 or so hours instructing, you will improve and learn more than you did throughout your entire training.

Having said all of that, you will just waste your own time and your students' time if you don't have the right attitude towards instructing.

Bearcat F8F
9th Jul 2013, 20:16
Thanks for the replies to both of you.

In that case I would like to add 3 further queries:

1) How easy is it in the current climate to find a job instructing? (I live in the UK)

2) What instructors are most desired? I mean multi-engine or SEP or CFII? A fATPL is expensive as it is, so obviously any further expenses need to be carefully considered.

3) Is there just 2 flight instructor courses? CFI and CFII? How does one instruct on multi-engine a/c? Is it just the normal MEP rating that's required?

Thanks

redsnail
9th Jul 2013, 20:18
I'm afraid I can't answer that, I am sure others will be able to.
There's another forum about Instructing on this site. :)