PDA

View Full Version : Initial CJ2 type rating with FSI in UK

Alexander Pichler
7th Jul 2013, 15:06
Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anyone of you has experience with initial CJ2 type rating with FSI in UK?

What were you guys struggeling with while your first type rating? Anything special that should be taken care of during the type rating here?

How difficult would you rate the theory exam and sim sessions?

Luckily I had the chance to to get some Proline 21 experience before and about 70hrs of flying on a straight CJ.

I'd appreciate anyones feedback.

Alex

winkwink
16th Jul 2013, 22:40
This may give you some sort of clue. I did a C650 rating with FSI at Toledo (poor), a Falcon 50 EX @ FSI Teterboro (pretty good) and a 2000 EASy at Teterboro (awful, appalling).
I right seated a four day renewal at Farnborough on a C550 last year and was incredibly impressed by both the instructor (Ian) and the examiner. FSI Farnborough is a cut above the US operation. There will be an explanation for everything and great instruction. You'll be fine.

B200Drvr
17th Jul 2013, 03:13
Remember that it is single pilot certified, so you are going to have to pass it as a single pilot, to get the unrestricted type rating. You don't state your total time or experience level, but if you have no jet or twin turbine experience doing your first jet as single pilot can be a handful.

His dudeness
17th Jul 2013, 18:19
How difficult would you rate the theory exam and sim sessions?

Not very, as the airplane is very straightforward... (well it was 12 years ago, so maybe its a 'golden memory'....)

Anyhow, the really 'hard' part for me was the Proline 21 and in our case Universal FMS, as I came from a collins 85 equipped KingAir with an Omega pimped with an GPS receiver and no real DB...

As you know these things already, you`ll be good. But donīt get lazy, try to stay on top of things, as there is no real gap/time build in for catching up.

The CJ2 is a great little airplane, loved it nearly as much as the KingAir 200... Guess you will be doing the CJ2+ ? If so, thats even easier with the FADECs...

tommoutrie
21st Jul 2013, 23:02
If you've been flying a CJ, why are you doing a CJ2 initial?

eckhard
22nd Jul 2013, 17:04
Reminds me of my initial C.500 type rating in 1982. During the previous two years I managed to get about 70hrs in the RHS (on a SP certified C.500).
Studied the manuals, passed the ARB exam, then hired an aircraft and examiner and flew the 1179. All a bit more 'structured' these days (and probably a good thing, too!)

So I guess you've been flying the CJ as 'supernumerary' and now are able to convert this experience into a proper type rating? Good luck!

tommoutrie
23rd Jul 2013, 20:05
Nah, bring back self study wing and a prayer stuff. All those weeks of FSI doughnuts and coffee made me fat. The CJ2 isn't Collins like the 2+ so it's worth learning the FMS and getting comfortable with it for the rating. I think there's a box to practice on there so spend as much time as you can fiddling with that. All the CJs are really straightforward so you will be fine. And with all type ratings, don't get knackered, just enjoy it.

Alexander Pichler
14th Sep 2013, 12:12
Hey guys,

thanks, everything went well.

I passed SP and MP checkride and got a Procard on top.

It was a nice time there and great experience.

Proline 21 was interesting but I am happy with our avionics on the straight CJ as well. :)

Thanks for the comments,

Alex