PDA

View Full Version : NATS Ireland plc

2 six 4
1st May 2002, 14:56
Ananova :

UK and Irish air traffic controllers consider partnership

National Air Traffic Services is in talks with its Irish counterpart, the Irish Aviation Authority.

If they can agree, they could make joint bids for lucrative air traffic control contracts.

Nats says the two companies have "agreed to investigate potential areas of co-operation, including closer co-ordination on European air traffic management opportunities, air space management, systems investment, business development and support services".

The joint study is expected to lead to an agreed implementation plan by the end of 2002.

Nats chief executive Richard Everitt says: "The European Union's Single European Sky initiative will lead to a significant restructuring of air traffic management over the next decade, similar to that experienced elsewhere in the aviation industry and many others.

"Because of their geographical position, the UK and Ireland are well-placed to play a key role in this process.

"Significantly, the new ownership structure of Nats gives us greater flexibility to collaborate with progressive, like-minded air traffic service providers and start a more co-operative, commercial approach that the industry demands."

Part-privatised last year, Nats has suffered from the big aviation downturn after the events of September 11.

The company has been given a £30 million Government loan to help cope with its difficulties.

Story filed: 11:35 Wednesday 1st May 2002

So we either take over the Irish CAA or we give them lots of airspace to play with and solve our staff problems.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st May 2002, 15:26
Saints preserve us!

chiglet
1st May 2002, 17:03
To be sure...x2:D
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Loki
1st May 2002, 17:40
Well, company decisions would be full of contradiction, whimsy and unintentional humour.....whether the Irish could adjust to that is another question!

POMPI
1st May 2002, 19:01
The report I saw read as though the Irish CAA was going to take over NATS.

bagpuss lives
1st May 2002, 19:57
Does that mean I can go to my true home at last and find work :D

Crotalus
2nd May 2002, 00:59
They earn even LESS than us!! no bloody wonder that seems like a good idea!!

Standard Noise
2nd May 2002, 10:25
Yeah, and it would double the collective NATS IQ overnight!:D :D

OOH controversial!

Hew Jampton
2nd May 2002, 13:11
Accountants are impressed by the low costs of Shanwick and have decided to apply it to all UK domestic ATC. Controllers at Swanwick, West Drayton etc will not have radios but will communicate by teleprinter with radio operators in Ireland, who will speak to the aircraft. Accountants see no problem with applying it even to EGLL Director and GMC - it will save money and that of course is the be all and end all.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
2nd May 2002, 18:44
Ahh yes... reminds me of something 25+ years ago. I was the No.2 (final) director and needed to liaise with the Special VFR director about a Northolt inbound. He was so busy I couldn't talk to him so I dashed in to the office and typed a message.. then ran back to the approach room and gave it to him. All that between landers too!!!

DFC
2nd May 2002, 22:41
Two Centre Policy;

Swanwick and Shannon.

:D

Goldfish Watcher
2nd May 2002, 23:31
Irish Aviation Authority are part of the airline group consortium.

They provided the Air Traffic Management expertise that all the groups had to have.

So they own part of NATS

Just incase you hadnt realised

fish food
3rd May 2002, 00:12
Could be different by the time you read this, but there is absolutely nothing (that I could find) on the IAA web site re. this meeting of minds - and overdrafts!

http://www.iaa.ie

:confused:

Numpo-Nigit
3rd May 2002, 09:11
DFC MAY have been joking, but it would make sense from a bean-counter's point of view. Why have three ACCs for the relatively small area of the British Isles? Cancel McNERC (again, again) and adopt an east-west split - Shannon takes the west and NERC takes the east. Radical thought? Think on.....

Goldfish Watcher
3rd May 2002, 12:42
Methinks the lads and lasses on the Emerald Isle may take offence to being described as part of the British Isles.

But I take your point, and wouldnt disagree

Hew Jampton
3rd May 2002, 17:59
But they are part of the geographical area called the British Isles, but not however part of Great Britain or the United Kingdom. Same as New Zealand being in Australasia.

tug3
4th May 2002, 00:17
Enough of the socio-political geography lesson please!!!

Fish Food: If you want the details, see the 'Organ grinder', not the 'Monkey;

www.nats.co.uk:

(news)

DFC
4th May 2002, 08:56
No problem with the geographical "British Isles" just in the same way that people spending the weekend at Blackpool don't mind swimming in the "Irish Sea". :)

DFC

DFC
5th May 2002, 11:36
Ah I am sure that the local Labour MP will huff and puff along with the Union and then vote in favour of closing down scottish while the union makes sure the poweder is dry for a pay deal with the IAA.

:D

NOTA cant be that far away as a starting point.

:D :D

Spitoon
5th May 2002, 14:47
Roger,

Is that the same 'political disaster' that would stop NATS ever being privatised?

WetFeet
9th May 2002, 18:23
With North Sea transferring to ScOACC, capacity on North Sea will double (proven on the simulators at ATMDC using ScACC and NERC ATCO's). ScOACC will then control 70% of UK airspace, as well as the North Atlantic east of 30W.

To me that means a two centre strategy of Prestwick and Shannon would be sensible as delays would drop and the airlines (AG) would be happier operationally.

Are we sitting comfortable at NERC.

It will never happen, too much spent on NERC, but if money was no object.........

160to4DME
9th May 2002, 18:56
WetFeet

And perhaps the changes will raise ScOATCC from 3rd place in the list of ACC movements to a higher level! <cheeky grin> :eek:

160 on a beach

Take up the Hold
9th May 2002, 20:50

Manchester movements are only above Scottish because LACC level cap the traffic into S29:rolleyes: even cheekier grin!!

2 six 4
9th May 2002, 21:11
Wrong Goldfish. The Irish CAA were consultants to the bid and had a contract for that support. Any future involvement is by agreement with NATS. They have no equity in NATS so are not part owners.

160to4DME
9th May 2002, 22:22
TakeUpTheHold

LOL !!!! :D

Mind you, whilst you lads and lasses are SO quiet, isn't it time we made WAL-DCS a permanent 2-way route ??!!!!!

160 WonderingHowFarHeCanPushHisLuck :p