PDA

View Full Version : Arafura Aviation

BreakNeckSpeed
7th Jul 2013, 04:08
Seen in the NT News today: "New Airline Set For Take Off"
With AV8, Barrier, Direct Air all falling by the wayside in recent times, Hardy's recent challenges with CAsA (but they seem to be across these now:ok:), and much of Chartair's charter work under fire from the RFDS...

Are these guys set to be the next big thing?!

Hope they make a go of it, but seems like a difficult time to be breaking into the Darwin GA scene...

Or is this just another fine example of the quality reporting expected from NT News??

Donttakeittoheart
8th Jul 2013, 12:55
Having looked at the website it seems its a one man op (the almighty CASA approved chief pilot?) with a shiny new AOC.
He even states the operation is safe thanks to the use of Air Maestro?

Really?

outnabout
9th Jul 2013, 01:49
Warning - thread drift!

So mean nasty Chart Air has been daring to take some RFDS work, and the RFDS don't like it? Diddums.

I wouldn't worry about the RFDS too much. RFDS Central Operations have just signed a 3 year contract to provide emergency retrievals, with the right of renewal for 3 years, plus 3 years.

RFDS - News (http://healthprofessionals.flyingdoctor.org.au/news/historic-agreement/)

And, to the best of my knowledge, the contract wasn't even advertised for tender.

I reckon any charter operator in the country would give their left testicle (and possibly the right one as well) for such a contract.

(And in a quick read of their latest figures - 2011/12 financial year - the RFDS state that 25% of their income comes from the Feds, 47% from State Govts. Now I'm not real flash at reading budgets, but from what I can see the 25% of the income that comes from the Commonwealth = $69m). As I have said, I am not real good at reading budgets & accountants trickery, so am willing to be corrected on this.

In my opinion, they're a bureaucracy hiding behind a legend....

tail wheel
9th Jul 2013, 03:27
Yes it is thread drift. Stick to the thread topic or the thread may be closed.

Flying Bear
9th Jul 2013, 23:20
A quick read through the website gives me some concerns...

If this is a "one man band", no major issues, but if he gets the seven airplanes that the newspaper write up alludes to - well, there are inherent potential hazards with this that CASA could have anticipated before granting the AOC:

1. The new CP has only 1000 or so hours total, and very little M/E (I believe the intent of buying the C310 was to address this?) - so who is going to monitor the professional standards and provide the technical development for pilot(s) within the organisation? - certainly not CASA as they don't have the resources and although possibly being unfair - I doubt a 1000 hr pilot with little M/E time has much to offer in that department. By way of example (and not Arafura Aviation), one operator whose pilots "take great pride in their aviation competence" advertises "training and ongoing assessment by the in house chief pilot", yet their CAO 20.11 training comprises nothing more than sending pilots home with a life jacket and asking them to take a photo of themselves floating in a pool wearing it;

2. The approval of a Chief Pilot should be subject to some level of prior mentoring / understudy (much like ATOs are supposed to). I believe this gent has been a CP elsewhere (in that first thousand hours...), but I have observed that the appointment of CPs in small GA companies is often a function of "last man standing" - rather than whether or not the candidate is actually capable of doing what CPs are supposed to do - lead, manage and develop personnel, in addition to regulatory compliance;

3. Air Maestro keeping it safe? Wow, that of itself shows a complete lack of understanding of the real issues facing a small operation in GA...;

4. The size of the GA "cake" in Darwin is finite - the more operators that are biting out of it, the less margins there are for each of them to build infrastructure to improve their safety. This is not really CASA's problem, nor do I advocate a monopoly / closed shop for any operator, but there is a relationship between the level of competition (ie undercutting) and the ability of a company to build resources to consolidate their operation (ie build safety). Oh, and pilots that will work for free to knock up those elusive first several hundred hours detracting from the pay and conditions for everyone else (but that is another discussion for another time!). I wonder if CASA ever thinks about this when deliberating on what it allows to populate the industry?

In short - I think there is a real issue with how CP approvals are granted (allowing the creation of such small operations) without some demonstrable level of professional growth and mentoring in the role before being let loose "safe solo"...

Maybe the regulator should explore having smaller operator's CPs (who don't have much experience) being mentored by CPs of larger operators in some way - ie industry regulating itself. That obviously has some potential issues in itself, but might be better than nothing.

Outandabout - you should know that criticising certain things is about as PC as harpooning whales.

OpsNormal
10th Jul 2013, 00:38
Out'n'about. Did you read your own link? It has nothing to do with emergency retrievals and in fact has nothing to do with the NT or Chartair at all.

IHT's are not the same as retrievals. RFDS clinic runs are a different story again and were always shared with Chartair in the past. The Alice RFDS base is now in a position to cover their own runs so they do so. Fact of life that the Central Ops does not owe Chartair anything.

FB. I don't think you're being unfair at all. 1000 hours is not a great yardstick with which to measure capability in a CP managerial role. I guess the person must have something else or previous managerial experience that they bring with them into the role as I am sure his/her assessment would have been unsuccessful otherwise. I do however share your view that perhaps 1000 hours TT and naf all multi might not be an ideal amount of experience with which to oversee more that two or three SE aircraft/aircrew and certainly not a multi aircraft multi engine fleet.

It is a great idea about longer established CP mentoring newbies and in fact I was very pro-active in seeking counsel from many learned people in this industry (the mod above for one) when I took a CP role in a large company many many years ago. Anyone who is serious about the role, especially if they identify that there are a number of key areas that need to change, will do similar. It also helps to be able to talk to your FOI and bounce ideas (with solutions) off him/her - in fact one of the most important aspects of a CP role is being able to establish good working relationships where needed that will stand a bit of "robust discussion" back and forth. If you cannot do this effectively - you're gone...

For those not yet familiar with Air Maestro, it is simply a web based information delivery method, not in any form a stand alone pillar of safety.

CASA have made it patently clear that they are not here to promote or encourage industry in any way. For those looking for the old FAA industry mantra (to promote and foster) then you might be better moving to the US...

Regards,

OpsN.;)

terminus mos
10th Jul 2013, 11:55
Ops N

At least Air Maestro gives organisations some structure in terms of managing their documents. Sure, you can upload a crap SMS or Ops Manual but at its there and easily amended etc. it can be a useful tool to track pilot currency and quals.

It's better to have a management system than not to have one and shows some investment in systems.

I just wish that the industry in the NT would invest in some newer aircraft, my company can barely find an acceptable aircraft operated and maintained to a decent standard. 1960s twin pistons flown single pilot are outside our risk appetite.

OpsNormal
11th Jul 2013, 00:00
That is where I will disagree with you re: Air Maestro. It is not always as you say "easy" to amend or modify documents contained within it. Having used it for the last 5 years I'm now familiar with it but I will give them their due they do have a good help line.

Bernoulli11
23rd Jul 2013, 14:59
Flying Bear,

Wake up call for you. Most of us know who you are, where you work and that your opinions count for little, if anything, given that you have spent a career working your way down the food chain in the industry.

If CP approvals are really of concern to you then you should tender your resignation immediately because, quite frankly, you aren't fit to sweep a hangar let alone mentor young pilots so early in their careers.

Enjoy.