PDA

View Full Version : Do regional airlines hire casual/part time pilots?

Hotpot
6th Jul 2013, 21:02
Does anyone know if any of the regional airlines are in the practice of hiring casual/part time pilots - experienced high time captains, not entry level First Officers. I am fully aware of the seniority implications, however given that there is a so called shortage of experienced pilots out there on the market and airlines are bringing in expats on 457 visas etc, would it be practical for airlines to hire experienced high timers (if there are any available).

I'm in the situation where I have left the airline industry for a higher paying job, and I still have enough spare time on my hands to do some flying if an opportunity existed.

triathlon
6th Jul 2013, 21:31
Surely you would know if you have been in the airline industry?

Hotpot
6th Jul 2013, 22:03
[QUOTE]Surely you would know if you have been in the airline industry?/QUOTE]

Not in this country for quite a few years though, hence my question. Not trying to be rude however if you don't have anything sensible to say don't bother replying to this thread - like most threads I guess...

Wizofoz
6th Jul 2013, 22:59
In any major, established operation?

No, none that I'm aware of.

Charter operations might be worth a look, though.

DeltaT
6th Jul 2013, 23:12
Can but try!
Ring them up and see what they say. Most airlines fall over themselves for very experienced Captains.
As for the 457 visa thing, it's more about there being more choice at the moment and local pilots choosing better options, as opposed to a shortage of pilots!

CAPTAIN-C2H5OH
6th Jul 2013, 23:13
I know the RFDS only hires Full time, but once your in the door some sections 'may' hire you on a casual basis.

If your've got a kingair,conquest rating i'd target GA companies for mining/charter work etc :)

tail wheel
6th Jul 2013, 23:22
Does anyone know if any of the regional airlines are in the practice of hiring casual/part time pilots....

I am aware one regional airline that hires part-time pilots, but I doubt any RPT operator could hire casual pilots for very obvious reasons.

You need to understand the difference between the terms "part time" and "casual".

As you are already full time employed it would be near impossible for you to be employed as a "part time" pilot in any commercial flying operation.

Metro man
6th Jul 2013, 23:49
If you have check and training approvals it MAY be easier as a company could take you on primarily in that role with additional flying to cover periods of crew shortage.

Some operators may offer 50% or 75% rosters with a corresponding reduction in pay.

It's often easier to join as a full time employee and later on negotiate casual/part time working once you are known to them.

Mach E Avelli
7th Jul 2013, 05:03
From the large operator's viewpoint, part-time or casual pilots are not really such a good deal. Because of CAR 217 and various other requirements, all pilots are subject to the same amount of checking and recurrency certification.
So, if an operator is stumping up for, say, 8 hours of recurrent simulator plus associated travel and expenses, plus a line check, plus EPs plus DGs, plus Human Foolishness... err... Factors etc, it is in the operator's interests to get at least 800 hours out of that pilot. In their perfect world they would get 1000 hours, but scheduling limitations make that difficult. Also, if you are engaged in other work activities - whether aviation-related or not - they have to somehow figure that time into their fatigue management system. Messy.

A smaller operator could see it differently, as they may not be doing big hours with their fleet, so could be keen to to reduce their salary overheads.

YoloAviation
7th Jul 2013, 05:12
Not sure if it's helpful but just something I've read and noticed, is that majority of the airlines that have cadet programs are "required" to take eligible F/Os,that are already in the company, and promote them to Captain. Only when they run out of eligible F/Os then they are allowed to take in direct entry. According to the unions... from what I've found, so for airlines like Rex, it would be hard to get in.

Sleeper88
7th Jul 2013, 13:46
Just a thought but if you're after part time/casual work you could possibly consider a FIFO job in PNG. Not for everyone but Moresby is 2 hours from CNS, 3 hours from BNE. A few companies offer a variety of 3 weeks on and off, 4 on and off & 20 days on and 9 off. One operator will pay for your tickets as far as BNE or and another will cover the cost to wherever you elect to base yourself. Just another option although it's not in Aus.