PDA

View Full Version : Hover OGE Charts...

Medhawkdriver_25
3rd Jul 2013, 19:40
Can someone point me to a good reference that outlines the requirements a manufacturer has when creating a Hover OGE chart?

I had heard at some point that some manufacturers publish performance based on "flying into" the OGE hover vs. ascending to it.

I had also hear that OGE Hover power was defined as the power required to ascend vertically at 200fpm while in an OGE hover...(This claim seems a little far fetched to me...)

Are there published FAA, CAA, EASA, etc guidelines set forth to regulate how these charts are created?

Thanks for your input.

SB

Gemini Twin
3rd Jul 2013, 20:16
If you read the FAR's carefully you will not find one particularly titled Performance in OGE or IGE hover. Performance testing includes establishing weights at min spec power, H/V envelopes and controllability and engine characteristics in omnidirectional winds at 17 kts.

During compliance with these regs. data is collected, and because it is essential information, used to compile flight manual IGE and OGE charts.

Not absolutely certain but I believe Bell is the only manufacturer to publish IGE/OGE charts with data when the wind is right on the nose. See Area A (Omni directional wind performance) and Area B (Enhanced Performance in calm conditions or when wind on the nose) in the B206 RFM.

Additional information on compliance with the FAR's can be find in AC27 and AC29. Provides good information for all concerned.

212man
5th Jul 2013, 06:12
I had also hear that OGE Hover power was defined as the power required to ascend vertically at 200fpm while in an OGE hover...(This claim seems a little far fetched to me...)

Hover OGE is defined as that condition where an increase in height above the ground will not require an increase in power to hover.

MG is right to direct you to ACs 27 and 29, where you will find a wealth of information. Of particular note - for your question - is the fact that the preferred method of data acquisition is by tethered hover and a load cell. Free flight is not the optimal technique for a number of reasons - highlighted in the ACs!