PDA

View Full Version : The Great War and D-Day anniversary year

Onceapilot
3rd Jul 2013, 19:02
Given that this crazy world still exists then, next year will see both the 100th anniversary of the start of The Great War and, the 70th anniversary of D-Day.
This post is just to encourage everyone to make a physical effort to remember those who sacrificed so much. Having made a sobering week-long staff ride to Normandy two years ago, I hope to visit the trenches next year, before all the "official" ceremonies begin. My wifes Grandfather was gassed at the Somme, given six months to live and then, outlived two wives! There is some hope!
Seriously folks, it must be worth the effort. Anyone else got plans?

OAP

Stitchbitch
3rd Jul 2013, 19:53
Someone once said 'a Nation that forgets its past has no future', so let us hope these events are commemorated.

My great grandfather suffered some trench ailments and eventually died of gangrene some years later. We will remember them.

racedo
3rd Jul 2013, 20:35
Visited Flanders on B o B weekend in September last year, planning to visit the Somme this year and next year the little group we have are planning to visit D-Day beaches.

mmitch
4th Jul 2013, 09:44
The local Royal British Legion branch had the excellent idea to sell
Poppy seeds to be scattered over the UK. See their website.
Plant YOUR Town RED! | RBL Greenhithe and Swanscombe (http://www.rblgreenhithe.co.uk/node/6)
mmitch.

Chugalug2
4th Jul 2013, 10:03
Given that the wild Poppy is essentially a weed that farmers try hard to eradicate, am I alone in thinking this to be an ill thought out campaign that has the possibility of seriously back-firing due to the "unforeseen consequences"?

The Poppy idea is sound enough, indeed very appropriate, but better surely to sell the plants potted and charge a pound apiece or even just more modest sized packets of seeds for one's own domestic use? I can see Council Parks and Gardens Departments facing a plague of Japanese knot-weed proportions in future years, with the RBL being held responsible.