PDA

View Full Version : 30 Years Since Solo World Flight

tail wheel
3rd Jul 2013, 00:20
30 Years Since Solo World Flight

Dick Smith will be giving a talk at the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney on Monday 22 July from 5.30pm to 7.30pm to commemorate his solo world flight.

Dick will also be covering some of the changes in instrumentation/navigation/communication since that time.

Powerhouse Museum - TALK: Dick Smith (http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/whatson/talk_Dick-Smith.php)

All helicopter enthusiasts are, of course, very welcome

aroa
3rd Jul 2013, 10:43
solo by Jetranger around the world.!! Amazing adventure that. Top book too!!:ok:

AND it was sure proof that SE turbine reliability would have allowed a life to be saved in Bass Strait...when the dopey authoritarians went by the book, at the cost of a rescue. A right royal bloody disgrace.... dead 1, sanity zero.
There are times when "those in charge" (sic) need to be told to get f..f.. futher down the street.
Dick's doco "Search without Rescue" said it all.:ok:

Has anything changed.??

Ascend Charlie
4th Jul 2013, 01:11
Not only a west-to-east lap of the world, but solo to the north pole, and he has done around the world over the north and south poles too. One heck of an achievement.

A practical joker, a successful businessman 3 times over, and his peanut butter is pretty good too. ("I like Dick" says the commercial)

weloveseaplanes
4th Jul 2013, 11:59
Yes! A great story!! The Earth Beneath Me it was. :D

Raised by Grandad with a huge library of aviation books this was always one of my favorites. The pictures were stunning, the story enthralling and the courage inspiring.

I still remember one anecdote in the story when Dick had landed near the Royals and was being pressured to see the Queen immediately so as to not keep her waiting - but he refused to budge till he had let her warm down (the 'ranger that is - not the Queen).

Even now I still use the story when people ask me why I always so slowly let my engine warm down. "Well you see, there once was a man in a little helicopter who . . . and so if its good enough in the interests of prudence to keep the Queen waiting, then its probably ok for me to keep you waiting a few minutes yes :)