PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft import taxes

QDMQDMQDM
2nd Jul 2013, 11:49
Hi all,

Bringing my UK-rego PA18 to Australia this year. I have owned it for 11 years. I am an Australian permanent resident, as of 1st October 2012.

Does anyone know what taxes I will have to pay? Will I have to pay GST and on what value will the GST be based, if so?

Also, any pointers for companies who can help with paperwork / shipping appreciated.

Thanks,

David

hiwaytohell
2nd Jul 2013, 21:45
I have used McAfee Customs & Forwarding in Brisbane (07) 3899 3122 or +61 7 3899 3122. Reasonable fees and know light aircraft.

Probably a good starting point.

OZBUSDRIVER
2nd Jul 2013, 21:54
Check with the tax office. I would believe no gst as you have owned the aircraft for a considerable time.

tail wheel
3rd Jul 2013, 00:10
Proof of ownership, personal effects, no GST. But get a competent Customs agent to arrange the paper work.

thunderbird five
3rd Jul 2013, 11:02
OR
look on the CUSTOMS website, regarding imports.
GST on the declared value of the item, and the shipping. Don't try cheat them down, they'll rip you a new one if you're caught out.
No mentions of a free ride for anything, even stuff you already own. You are importing it.
Yes, I have imported a container of aero things I owned, GST on them, and the shipping. No duty - aircraft and parts are exempt.
PLUS all sorts of fees that side, and customs brokers fees, AQIS and more this side. It's an expensive business, but fun when you open the box (assuming it makes it here alive!)

DB Schenker (Melbourne) brings in various aircraft for Avalon Airshow. Any customs broker can assist, it doesn't matter to them what's in the box.

tail wheel
3rd Jul 2013, 19:29
I think you will find this is the difference.....

Bringing my UK-rego PA18 to Australia this year. I have owned it for 11 years. I am an Australian permanent resident, as of 1st October 2012.

If the owner is migrating permanently to Australia, it can be imported as personal effects?

But if you already live here.......

Yes, I have imported a container of aero things I owned, GST on them, and the shipping.

You don't get a free ride, every import over $1,000 is subject to GST and if applicable, duty.

But check with any Customs Agent.

PLUS all sorts of fees that side, and customs brokers fees, AQIS and more this side. It's an expensive business....

Too true. The GST will be nothing compared to the fees and charges if AQIS get involved...

hiwaytohell
3rd Jul 2013, 21:25
It certainly pays to compare customs brokers, as the fees can vary considerably.

Also another tip David make sure you clean your aircraft well before you pack/ship. I had one aircraft a few years ago that had some mud & grass on one of its wheels, and the quarantine nazis required the aircraft to be cleaned and decontaminated. They had a contractor unpack my container and steam clean the aircraft. They must have used a large industrial steam cleaner as they did quite considerable damage to the aircraft. And we were charged over $2K for the privilege.

thunderbird five
3rd Jul 2013, 21:28
Actually, AQIS was just $50 for turn up-tion, & $139 for inspect-tion which took not even 10 minutes and was conducted pleasantly. The correct fumigated stamped (international) timbers were used in the packing/bracing. All wood crates were separately fumigated and certified "that side" so I didn't need it done "this side." AQIS already had a copy of my paperwork for all that, thanks to my customs broker.
AQIS website has all the good goss too.
Do some research, follow the rules, equals an easy run.
Customs brokers do this all day, every day, and prices for inclusions and services vary. Most large customs brokers, and smaller ones, would have handled aircraft and parts before - just another day at the office.;)

Andy_RR
4th Jul 2013, 07:09
I'd be surprised if you can bring an aircraft in as personal effects. You certainly can't do that for personal import cars.

I suspect you'll be up for at least the 10% GST on dock-side value, as it is with motor vehicles. The valuation will probably come it much lower than "market value" if my experience with importing my car (2009) is any guide.

I believe there is no duty on aircraft or aircraft parts into Australia.

triton140
4th Jul 2013, 07:39
From the Customs website:

Migrant Concessions

As a first-time migrant or returning Australian resident, you are entitled to bring back with you to Australia, duty and GST free, all your personal and household effects that you have owned and used for the whole of the period of 12 months immediately preceding your departure for Australia.

Certain items are expressly excluded from the definition of "personal and household effects" and are subject to other requirements. These include:

motor vehicles or motor vehicle parts
caravans, boats and trailers
aircraft
machinery, plant and equipment
and fur apparel.

tail wheel
4th Jul 2013, 09:47
"Certain items are expressly excluded from the definition of "personal and household effects" - aircraft"

Well, there you go QDMQDMQDM. I was wrong - 10% GST on the market value of your personal aircraft.