PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on Kairik airstrip, PNG

Mendi Matt
1st Jul 2013, 06:43
Hi all

I have a few questions about Kairik. I've lost my AIP, and am looking for confirmation of the strip elevation, orientation, length and slope. I flew an MBA Twotter in and out of there during my Mendi basing in 1994-1995. I'd also appreciate hearing from anyone who remembers the aircraft types that got in and out of there during those happy days. Talair Bandits? Did ANG's Dash 7s ever go there? What about RAAF or Southern Air Transport C-130s? Anyone ever see them there? Or the MBA-leased Citation?
Finally, did PNGCAD give operators a dispensation to operate into this hot-n-high strip that was well outside the P-charts, or did they just turn a blind eye and let us get on with it; putting the importance of the service into the Kairik/Porgera valley above the technical legality of such ops?

Thanks for your help - it's appreciated. Lukim.

Captain Nomad
1st Jul 2013, 08:42
From my records Kairik elevation 7,280ft, 1200m strip 5.5% averaged slope (ski jump style down-then-up strip so some sections steeper than the 5.5% for those who haven't been there), land 23 (right circuit), take off 05.

Definitely have some memories of that place - some good, some not so good... :) :uhoh:

sundaun
3rd Jul 2013, 12:25
Been in in a Kingair a few times. Largest aircraft I recall was Do 228s of MBA and the Twin Otters. The odd Caribou may have visited after the boi-house being placed at the old Porgera strip.

Waghi Warrior
3rd Jul 2013, 19:27
Doubt a Citation, Herc or a Dash 7 ever went in there. The P charts were/and still are an issue as most of the manufacturers don't produce charts for elevations higher than about 6000 feet.