PDA

View Full Version : Jump off-Brazil, Africa

mushroom69
30th Jun 2013, 23:40
Hi guys

I have a flight Buenas Aires--Cape Town and a quick look at a map, shows that there is a LOT of water and no islands along this routing....

So looking at what is a nice compromise of safety and practicality, I am looking at a jumping off point in Brazil. Any suggestions regarding fuel, ease of turnaround, handling, no immigration/customs hassles etc?

On another note....it has been ages since South Africa and Kenya. Any suggestions regarding places to visit and stay, both places?

ciao

mushroom

galaxy flyer
1st Jul 2013, 01:09
More info needed, type, range, planned tech stops, etc.

GF

mushroom69
1st Jul 2013, 14:28
Hello GF,

Well, it is a CL604 and I am not asking anyone to do the actual flight planning of course, just suggestions regarding the airports on the Brazilian side. Ease of use, fuel prices, etc. We have 3800 nm range and I was looking at SBRF and SBGL as possibile points of departure.

I was more to the SBGL, but was recently told that the Brazilians do not like Atlantic crossing aircraft to cross the established route system along the coast and that they would probably not approve the most direct routing.

Just have not flown this way before and so wondering what the situation is. Reclife is quite a bit further north on the Brazilian side, but does not add much to the Atlantic crossing so it becomes "which airport is best" and will we get the routings?

Loud&Clear
2nd Jul 2013, 15:38
Hello Mushroom,

I would go from SBGL to FNLU. The 604 has the range for that, and on a easterly heading the winds will help.

The only thing is, if you have to alternate the only suitable airport would be Ascension Island.

In FNLU you can put some gas and reach anywhere in Africa.

mushroom69
2nd Jul 2013, 19:11
Hello Loud and clear,

Have you been in either Rio or Luanda recently? How are the conditions regarding handling, catering, turnaround etc in Rio?

Yes, I know about the en route alternate and have already spoken to the base commander and airport manager. A 777 went into there in January JoBurg to Atlanta.....
I just need some recent experience on the ground at these airports, if anyone has had the pleasure recently...

I mean, last I was in Luanda, we stayed in a container hotel!

...and never been to Rio, so I dont know the airport.....someone might know of a GA friendly airport nearby that is far better than the main international. That is what I am looking for. For example, I would never consider making a tech stop on the way to India in Dubai. Fujairah is far better, but not that many people know that. I would never stop in Athens from Nairobi to London.

These are the areas I know and I was looking for input from people who might have the same sort of knowledge regarding Brazil...

Grum
3rd Jul 2013, 08:35
Luanda is perfect for a techstop. BestFly now have an FBO so the pax can jump out for a coffee etc. Allow about 45 minutes for stop. If you need a hotel, there are perfectly good hotels but expect to pay almost $500 for a fairly average room.

mushroom69
4th Jul 2013, 00:09
Thanks Grum!

Loud&Clear
4th Jul 2013, 11:38
Hello Guys
Grum said it all.
Luanda is dnow perfect for a tech stop. And if you can skip the hotel, than it's even better. The hotels are very good now, but really expensive.
You can try to make a short Tech stop there, 45 mins, and than you're in Joburg in 3 hours.
Rio Galeao we where there a few months ago and we were very well received by the handler.
I think it was arranged by universal... Can't recall the name of the handler.
Hope this will help.
LC

mushroom69
4th Jul 2013, 11:43
All good useful news and updates! Thanks!