PDA

View Full Version : Oz Teen World Record Flight

Captain Garmin
29th Jun 2013, 06:20
Teen World Flight (http://www.teenworldflight.com/teen-world-flight.html)

One more sleep.

Blue skies and tailwinds Ryan :ok:

CG

JSeward
29th Jun 2013, 07:00
I need to do it at 18! Perhaps Cessna could lend me the new diesel Skylane?

Bevan666
29th Jun 2013, 08:51
Ryan has come such a long way from his first speaking engagement at AusFly last September thats for sure. We were happy to be one of the first sponsors and its a personal dream of mine to do such a journey.

We'll be catching up with Ryan at Oshkosh in a few weeks - cant wait!

Bevan..

bodybag
29th Jun 2013, 09:49
That would be hard work VFR!!

Jabawocky
29th Jun 2013, 11:17
Bevan666

Well said sir! :D

He deserves many bars for the way he has conducted himself so far.

Proud to say that some of us have had a strong influence in his progress so far.

On Behalf of Andrew, John & Walter Tail winds to you Ryan, and look out for a friendly face at Van Nuys airport :ok:

I look forward to seeing you in YNRM at Ausfly. :ok:

Dick Smith
29th Jun 2013, 11:59
Incredibly impressive young man! The hard work he has put into raising sponsorship sets a great example. No wealthy parents or patrons here,

Ryan's web site is also impressive and the Telstra sponsored tracking system will allow all of us to follow the flight as it progresses.

Long ocean crossings in small single engine aircraft that take off heavily overloaded involves risk that will inspire everyone.

I think it's great that a young person like Ryan is still allowed to go on such an adventure. With just about all risk taking for young people being prevented in some way or other by do gooders and bureaucrats this must be one of the few activities that can still take place to inspire all!

All the best Ryan - Just keep heading into the dawn until you see the Tasman Sea again .

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Jun 2013, 12:10
Good luck, sir. Hope the UK weather is OK for you...

004wercras
29th Jun 2013, 12:18
Ryan, kudos to you young man! There certainly is more to life than XBox and Facebook. You are going to use skills you never realised you had, you are going to gain skills you never thought possible, and you are going to make decisions well beyond your years. Mate I suspect you will even gain a few extra hairs on your chest. I envy your passion, admire your conviction and feel refreshed by your youth.
Just one tiny piece of advice - as busy as you will be, tired, sore and everything else; take in the beauty of gods hands along the way - sunsets, sunrises, valleys and peaks....fly safe.

Fantome
29th Jun 2013, 17:27
Into the wake of Hinkler, Lindbergh et al/. ( Neither of whom, by the way, ever said or probably thought 'God speed'.) May some guardian angel though, be on your wing. May 'The Luck of the Draw' be yours in abundance too.

Just as David Attenborough, on the doco of his life, 'Living on Air', said, he chooses to never respond to correspondence from creationists who want to engage him in religious debate. In other words, he distances himself by never mentioning God, or any god or gods.

Bear in mind the well known injunction posted in the ward rooms of Royal Navy warships . . . .. .. "Abstain herein from three contentious subjects - religion, politics and sex."

Unless Ryan happens to subscribe to a particular denominational creed, it may be just a bit presumptuous to ask him or expect him to -

take in the beauty of gods hands along the way

p.s. Other more latter day forerunners to Ryan come to mind too, who have tackled the big one, all all alone. Gabby Kennard. Jon Johannsen. Clive Canning . "The Electronic Appendage". And Bill from Boonah, shoe-horned into his V-tail Bonanza, (VH-TYE)

Bill's survival gear was one of his paramount concerns -

OurSafaris (http://www.tigermothparts.com/airsafaris/atw/atw.htm)

p.p.s. Just remembered a little detail of CAL's departure from New York in -27. A woman thrust a paper bag into his hands as he sat in his cockpit about to start. It contained two sandwiches and one Saint Christopher. So there you go.

And just remembered the young boy going to his first fight at the Sydney Stadium with his fight-game loving dad.

As one of the boxers is warming up , the lad asks -

"Dad, why is he rubbing his feet in that white stuff?"

"So his shoes won't slip on the canvas son"

"Dad, what's that he's putting in his mouth?"

"It's a mouth guard son. So his teeth won't get broken."

"Dad, why is he crossing himself like that?"

'Well son, he's praying to the Lord that he will win the fight.
But you know what? If he can't box it counts for nothing."

Wally Mk2
29th Jun 2013, 23:52
'Fantome' yr last message seems to ring a bell (no pun intended either), similar words from the movie "Flight of the Phoenix':-)...."why's he crossing himself like that?............not a damned thing if he can't box"

It's nice to read that adventurers are still out there in a cotton wool world as aviation is no longer a frontier but just an everyday event!

Ryan make it last as for life will get in the way of ever doing such a thing again, God's speed:ok:

Wmk2

Jabawocky
30th Jun 2013, 01:50
I love the placement of the logo on the tail fin transition!

Onya Ryan :ok:

:}

Dick, great message too! Get out and have a go! :D

Liklik balus
30th Jun 2013, 02:28
Let's hope his flight planning is more accurate than the 'up to date tracker' on his web site.
According to his itinerary day 1 segment is 933nm, yet the plotter indicates he is 942.4nm out at 12,05pm. Still a long way to swim on my map!!!!

Bevan666
30th Jun 2013, 02:35
He's using our app, AvPlan - I hope it hasnt gone that wrong!
:eek:

Jabawocky
30th Jun 2013, 02:42
ohh no Bevan.....Should he download Bas's app? :uhoh:

He should be at Norfolk about now, plus or minus a bit for winds. Not sure which schedule you are looking at but I have a copy of his plan summary.

He has a day in Norfolk then launches at 3am local Tuesday for a long lonely leg to Pago Pago.

One leg down......almost!

Perhaps the distance thingy is actual travelled with legs around airspace and via Lord Howe etc it is further than the direct distance?

Jabawocky
30th Jun 2013, 03:20
the good thing about IFR and Flight aware. Even with non radar, it has ATC position reports.

VH-OLS ? FlightAware (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/VHOLS) :ok:

Anyone know what he is using for comms out in the non VHF areas? I saw no sign of HF. Satellite links?

Bevan666
30th Jun 2013, 03:54
He has a sat phone..

Howard Hughes
30th Jun 2013, 03:59
Good luck for the journey!

Was planning on heading down there this morning, but work called. Hopefully I can be there for the return! :ok:

Even with non radar, it has ATC position reports.
If outside radar coverage, I thought what you see on flightaware was only a computer generated position??

Jabawocky
30th Jun 2013, 04:02
yes its computer generated from the pos reports.

Well it appears leg 1 is done and dusted! :D

tnuc
30th Jun 2013, 05:47
He has HF also

Jabawocky
30th Jun 2013, 06:12
Hey Bevan, looked what I found :ok:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/546039_224468967682918_2003687929_n.jpg

Jack Ranga
30th Jun 2013, 14:34
Dick, great message :ok: one that should be pinned up in every primary school, better still, every maternity ward!

Good luck Ryan, thoughts are with you :ok:

Sunfish
30th Jun 2013, 19:35
Good luck!

Lancair70
30th Jun 2013, 22:33
After reading Ryan's blog, it would appear he is IFR rated. As one would want to be attempting such a flight.

Good luck Ryan! Enjoy the experience.

Jabawocky
1st Jul 2013, 01:12
He is.

plus some more characters....

Jabawocky
2nd Jul 2013, 02:47
Interesting how in Flightaware his plan was in to Pago Pago last night, but now it has vanished.

I see the data stream to his website shows he is 2/3 the way so arrival around 3.30pm or there a bouts.

Anyone have any better tracking links?

VH-XXX
2nd Jul 2013, 03:42
it would appear he is IFR rated

At first I had a chuckly to myself when I read this but then I thought of Amelia Earhart and the countless numbers of VFR aircraft that have traversed the globe safely over the years.

Am I the only one thinking that zooming along in an SR22 with auto-pilot at 170 knots+ tas wouldn't be too taxing?

Capt Casper
2nd Jul 2013, 07:42
XXX – That would be the most myopic post I have seen on this site.
Think – 19 years old; the 21st century bureaucracies; IFR through dozens of countries with all their vagaries; paying for it himself etc. etc.
I think his workload would be far more onerous than the risk taking pioneers.
What he is doing is proving that there are still young people game enough to test and prove themselves at a level very few would even contemplate.
I congratulate him just for having a go. If he achieves his goal he should be considered for recognition as “young Australian of the Year”

the_rookie
2nd Jul 2013, 07:45
Am I the only one thinking that zooming along in an SR22 with auto-pilot at 170 knots+ tas wouldn't be too taxing? yep you sure are

Ejector
2nd Jul 2013, 08:11
XXX, yeah mate, Why didn't you do it if it is so easy ? :ok:

Good luck to him.

Jabawocky
2nd Jul 2013, 08:11
Having been a contributor to Ryan's progress so far, I can assure everyone this has not been a half baked exercise, nor has it been handed to him on a platter.

From all the planning business and logistics (his mum is a significant help ;) )he has done an outstanding job.

My observation of how he spent 3 days in an engine class....being the most attentive student, like his life might depend on it, was something to behold and watch. And then to spend a long time after with John Deakin and in particular Walter Atkinson, who knows the the Cirrus / Klampier folk closely and how they were designed and operated, was a level of maturity beyond his years.

I need to repeat that, he showed a level of discipline and maturity beyond his years.

Heck.....beyond mine, and probably most reading this board!

This is not another Ray Clamback professional ferry flight, and every one of those is impressive in its own right.

I would say that DBTW and MakeItHappenCapt would agree. This is a serious task and at 19 none the less.

I am just humbled by the level of involvement I have had with such an inspiring young man.

VH-XXX
2nd Jul 2013, 08:36
I've had a dozen emails and PM's suggesting that they agreed with me!

That being said, it was a little out of context. I was moreso thinking that the workload would be significantly less than doing it in a VFR TigerMoth or similar.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
2nd Jul 2013, 08:55
Not to detract from Ryan's much admired effort, but I could not resist the invitation from XXX,

You mean this one Mr XXX..??

Solo to England (In a Tiger Moth) - ABC WA - Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) (http://blogs.abc.net.au/wa/2008/12/solo-to-england.html)

Although Barry did have some sponsorship, it still cost him heaps......
Its all in the book....

Cheers:ok:

VH-XXX
2nd Jul 2013, 09:06
I'm just saying the flying part should be the easy bit with an aircraft like that. He will only need to focus on the corrupt police forces, politics, cyclones and lack of fuel... Easy ! :-)

Jack Ranga
2nd Jul 2013, 10:44
Only 172 hours :sad:

seneca208
2nd Jul 2013, 12:11
Only 172 hours :sad:

Should be able to snag himself a good job once he gets back from the trip :ok:

kellykelpie
2nd Jul 2013, 12:31
Good luck Ryan!

Dexta
2nd Jul 2013, 23:09
I could be completely wrong, but was he originally going to use a Cessna 182? I can vaguely remember seeing a photo with him next to a high wing. Of course senility could be creeping up on me...

Jabawocky
2nd Jul 2013, 23:22
He was in search of an aeroplane and during the early part he was using a 182....but as we all know they are a great machine, however a machine of the SR22/A36 etc kind of performance is more suitable.

The 182 I think was just something to get the story started, or was handy at the time.

compressor stall
3rd Jul 2013, 00:36
Didn't take the tall poppy syndrome to come out.

Here we have a kid who, when most of his peers are getting pissed every other night on a backpacking tour of Europe, is getting out there and doing something pretty cool.

I'm not aware that he has made it out to be a huge risk, unprecedented or that he is a pioneer in any way - besides his age.

Why wouldn't we support him, even if the aircraft is IFR capable, autopilot and 170kts? So what? What would you say if he had no GPS, autopilot etc? You'd be bleating about how irresponsible he was.

That the spirit of adventure is alive in this is fantastic. And nice to have Dick's support too. Many years ago I was the recipient of a few grand from one of Dick's former companies to pursue an adventurous (non aviation) dream. It is certainly a good driver to have such support.

There should be more of this adventure. Good luck Ryan, and a circumnavigation is a great achievement at any age, let alone yours.

morno
3rd Jul 2013, 01:23
Here here Stallie. Well said.

morno

Jabawocky
3rd Jul 2013, 01:27
Agreed Stallie :ok:

Actually I was just thinking about his age...and his attention in class, he brought the average age in the room down by about 30 seconds :E

I know who was the main problem in the statistics there :}

Hope he does not read this :uhoh:

MakeItHappenCaptain
3rd Jul 2013, 08:28
I would say that DBTW and MakeItHappenCapt would agree. This is a serious task and at 19 none the less.

Definitely. All the best for you, Ryan.:ok:

Jabawocky
4th Jul 2013, 08:13
Kiribati today and by Saturday morning 052245 he should be in hilo.

Go Ryan! :ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
4th Jul 2013, 12:28
Anyone have the current link?
My Flight Aware seems to have fallen over...
Cheers:ok:

Fantome
4th Jul 2013, 20:26
Keep in mind that in the Second World War some fuzz faced men of 18 and 19 matured so very rapidly after their experience of aerial combat or flying the big bombers at night over enemy territory.

VH-XXX'S comment about relative ease may well have been taken the wrong way here. It is none the less a valid comparison, not, as XXX pointed out, detracting one iota from recognition of the initiative needed tackling aspects of the dreaded practique in some countries when you fly in and fly out, other than by way of international carriers . (Speaking as one who has been there, done that.)

XXX – That would be the most myopic post I have seen on this site. . .. . . well old friendly ghost, you can't have read too many then.

Thinks . . .. . . a book of selected posts. . . put together by a myope.

Titled MY OPTIC VIEWS. A LONG-SIGHTED PERSPECTIVE

Full of quaint obscurities, no doubt. (Which is not an invitation for any impertinent person to suggest one may have been inhaling. Or imbibing the mountain tay, or the mountain dew, thank yew!)

zac21
5th Jul 2013, 00:06
Same here Griffo, but all the others I'm watching are OK??

Jabawocky
10th Jul 2013, 05:27
Arrived safely at Van Nuys airport :D around 10 0425 and he sounded well in control.

Great work Ryan! :D

Ex FSO GRIFFO
10th Jul 2013, 05:36
Thankyou Jaba

Rwy 16R..??

:ok:

Wally Mk2
10th Jul 2013, 05:45
Outstanding Ryan, but yr NUTS buddy!!!!:E:ok:

'Jabba' knows what I mean:-)

Wmk2

Jabawocky
10th Jul 2013, 05:56
yeah......S/E long over water...and night arrival :uhoh: :ouch:

Wally Mk2
10th Jul 2013, 14:38
Gotta hand it to the kid, he's keen, far keener than most are:-)

I guess when yr that young yr invincible & good on him, am jelous, not from what he is doing (he can have that on his own!) but from his invincibility:ok:

Jabba yr age doesn't add up buddy, yr as nuts but older.....go figure !:E

Wmk2

Jabawocky
14th Jul 2013, 08:42
One of these men holds the record for more hours in B747 and the youngest command of B747, and not likely to have either record broken.

One of these men is about to be the youngest to to fly around the world solo. And one is his dad (mum is easy to work out).

After landing 16R at Van Nuys, he has had a rest and off to Tuscon AZ. Well done Ryan. Long way to go!

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab58/jaba430/DSCN0106_zps64b29886.jpg

Admiring his sponsors.
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab58/jaba430/DSCN0103_zpsc2e51904.jpg

Photo's courtesy of the old guy on the right :ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
14th Jul 2013, 09:29
One of these men holds the record for more hours in B747 and the youngest command of B747, and not likely to have either record broken.

???

The latter is long gone - I suspect the former maybe also!

Dr :8

Jabawocky
13th Aug 2013, 12:53
Ryan is now in the UK.

The feedback I have had is he is doing a great job.

Are we there yet? :)

Volumex
14th Aug 2013, 06:26
It's all downhill from here.

Jabawocky
1st Sep 2013, 00:15
He is back in Oz! :D:D:D

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz349/ontheroger/ryan_broome_1_zpsac465616.jpg~original

Just a visit to the LAME, and off across the desert to home!

Watching Ryan's progress and his confidence grow over the last 12 months has been a privilege.

I think it is fair to say we are all very proud of your achievements Ryan. :ok:

Jack Ranga
1st Sep 2013, 09:36
Great to see a young bloke show so much initiative :ok: Well done young man :D

Dick Smith
1st Sep 2013, 15:46
He is doing well and now close to success I hope lots can be in the Gong for his final landing. Unfortunately I will be in the Apenine Mountains locating Bert Hinklers crash site.

Ye Olde Pilot
1st Sep 2013, 19:08
Good for you Ryan and congratulations on a great trip.:D

Nice to see Dick Smith giving you a vote of approval.

He was the boss when I got my DOA licence 430438 decades ago.

Hope you get the Gabby Kennard welcome.:ok:

LeadSled
2nd Sep 2013, 06:34
Folks,
Regardless of who has dome what before, this is a splendid achievement, congratulations.
Tootle pip!n

Wally Mk2
2nd Sep 2013, 07:55
.............phew glad he is back & in one piece:ok:Bloody terrific:-)
Love the photo of the kid & the 'Aussies', there's one proud mum there (& rightly so)as we stick out like the proverbial I reckon:ok:
Bit like the yanks, we love our food:)

Wmk2

aroa
2nd Sep 2013, 08:01
Very well done that man!! What a way to consolidate yr experience in the air thus far. What next ???
Enjoy the coldie at the 'Gong Congratulations.!:ok::ok:

Dick is "unfortunate" to be in the Italian Pratomagno looking for Bert Hinkler's crash site. What a shame the wreckage was destroyed later.
Just read The Most Daring Man In The World, too Aviator Supreme.!

nitpicker330
2nd Sep 2013, 08:47
Isn't he still in WA? Hasn't reached the Gong yet has he?

VH-XXX
2nd Sep 2013, 09:01
Unfortunately I will be in the Apenine Mountains locating Bert Hinklers crash site

Hi Dick, do you think you could start another thread on this if you think it's worth it? It would be interesting to hear more about this...

Jabawocky
2nd Sep 2013, 09:32
Wally...Are you talking about the guys in the picture on his website or Facebook after his arrival in Broome? The one with the meat pie?

If so that is not Mum and Dad.

Mum and Dad are below in this picture (save you going back a page)

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab58/jaba430/DSCN0106_zps64b29886.jpg
Left to Right, Ryan Campbell, Joanne Campbell, Lindsay Campbell & John Deakin (the APS engine dude)

Wally Mk2
2nd Sep 2013, 09:43
...yeah 'Jabb's that was the piccy I was ref to. Good 'wholesome' Aussies:ok:

Wmk2

Bevan666
2nd Sep 2013, 21:02
I wont be able to make it to the 'Gong for his arrival this weekend, but look forward to seeing him at AUSFly.

What a fantastic achievement! :ok::ok:

Bevan..

Jabawocky
2nd Sep 2013, 22:37
ANd can I ask all of you to get behind the next stage of his project.

Hi Everyone!

First of all, thank you for the support and kind words spread across the Teen World Flight social media. A fantastic team is working away to keep it updated. That itself is a huge job but I log on and read all the comments every day. It is fantastic to see so much interest in the flight.

As you know I have teamed up with World Youth International, an Australian based charity, and as part of my flight it was my goal to benefit youth both within and beyond aviation. When the conversations with World Youth International began I realised what great potential this could have in benefiting youth beyond aviation. I also have aspirations of conducting a tour of Australian Schools and Youth Organisations in the future to promote the opportunities within aviation along with the ability to chase a dream, no matter how unrealistic it may initially seem.

After weeks of discussion we brought together the ‘Dare2Dream’ scholarship fund. This is a joint effort between World Youth International and Teen World Flight. A $50,000 long term program to initiate 10 scholarships for Australian youth. One will become the ‘Robert Hoey’ scholarship, honoring the memory of World Youth International’s founder whilst the other will become the ‘Ryan Campbell’ scholarship. The further 8 will be an ongoing venture after the conclusion of the flight.

My promise to World Youth International is to raise the $5,000 to fund my scholarship. This is a great mission and I look forward to being able to send someone overseas on a life changing adventure, just the like the one so many people have sent me on.

Our fundraising platform is ‘Everyday Hero’, a simple and easy way to pass on your support. We can see the tally rise everyday towards my goal of reaching the $5,000 mark before my arrival into Wollongong on September the 7th. This $5,000 along with the behind the scenes work from World Youth International will collaborate to become a very successful and beneficial program for so many.

I am asking for your support. With the countdown on for the arrival we have a little over a week to raise $3,000. With all the fans on Facebook that is under $1 per person! More than anything it is the simple effort of clicking on the link and heading to our

Everyday Hero page. Let’s watch as the tally rises.

Thank you in advance, Regards, Ryan

Help me help other young Australians (http://www.teenworldflight.com/blog/help-me-help-other-young-australians)

or just go straight here, but it is better reading the blog first you lazy critters ;) https://give.everydayhero.com/au/teenworldflight

Jabawocky
5th Sep 2013, 10:12
Guess where he is here?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/q77/s720x720/1170660_387140658082414_1702347359_n.jpg

Wally Mk2
5th Sep 2013, 10:42
......................sheeez jabba give us a clue buddy:E You've been everywhere & seen everything so you might easily recognize that clump of red dust but we city dwellers only know concrete:-)

What's the kid gunna do next?

Wmk2

VH-XXX
5th Sep 2013, 12:53
If he's up for some mis-adventure he should do the same thing in a Jabiru.

A Squared
5th Sep 2013, 13:39
Didn't take the tall poppy syndrome to come out.

Here we have a kid who, when most of his peers are getting pissed every other night on a backpacking tour of Europe, is getting out there and doing something pretty cool.

CS, agree with you that it's an interesting and adventurous thing for a 19 year-old to do , but ......... (there's always a but, isn't there) having watched the "youngest pilot to ........" craze in the US just get more and more ridiculous with younger and younger children "piloting" airplanes across the US, finally resulting in the death of a 7 year old girl, her "flight instructor" who was actually flying the airplane, and her media whore father who in all probability was a factor in the decision to launch into a developing thunderstorm, "youngest pilot to ... " records sort of leave a bad taste in my mouth. Can this guy actually claim to be "piloting"? Pretty clearly, yes. How about the next record holder? Probably. However, the very nature of the phenomenon assures that the challengers to the record have a progressively thinner and thinner claim to really "piloting" as it is normally understood and inevitably it just becomes a publicity farce.

Jack Ranga
6th Sep 2013, 01:11
Is it Moruya that Ryan is from? Does anybody know when he's flying from YWOL to YMRY??

Critical Reynolds No
6th Sep 2013, 02:36
Hope there is room in the PowerHouse museum to put his ride on permanent display. Maybe in front of that old looking Bell 206B!

Jabawocky
6th Sep 2013, 07:50
I doubt the owner has that intention....but you never know.

I reckon stickers peeled off it by months end, unless he thinks it adds value as a round the worlder!

Captain Garmin
6th Sep 2013, 08:09
A brilliant 70 day global campaign and a REAL aussie leader arrives home this weekend aged only 19!

You're the guy that gets my vote tomorrow Ryan. :D:D:D

Big celebration at the 'Gong' (YWOL) tomorrow guys!
Teen World Flight (http://www.teenworldflight.com/articles/public-invited-to-welcome-home-record-breaking-teen.html)

CG

PS: Surely CASA will certify your AVPLAN EFB product as passing the required field trials / certification approval process now Bevan !!!? :)

Liklik balus
7th Sep 2013, 22:11
Splendid effort young man! It is unfortunate his home coming was over shadowed by the election and he failed to receive the kudos and press coverage that this great achievement deserves. I wish him continued success with his future in aviation.
:D
Lb.

Bevan666
8th Sep 2013, 02:00
Ryan is on 60 minutes tonight.

As for our approval, CASA have approved AvPlan but far faster than we expected. We're just finalizing the insurance before its all done

aditya104
8th Sep 2013, 19:12
Flying solo around the world is no mean feat. To complete it as a nineteen year old, is an awe inspiring achievement. I feel humbled. There is a lot I can learn from Ryan.

Video link 60 Minutes: Flyin' Ryan on MSN Video (http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/flyin-ryan/xsztlt3)

Is it Moruya that Ryan is from?

Ryan is from Merimbula.

peuce
9th Sep 2013, 00:42
Was down at Wollongong for Ryan's arrival. Great occassion!

Mayoral Welcome:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/sosvideo/DSCF5999_small.jpg

Presentation by Roulettes

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/sosvideo/DSCF6025_small.jpg

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
10th Sep 2013, 09:51
Do you need 4 bars on your shoulder to fly an SR22 now?

Pilotshumornetwork
10th Sep 2013, 09:56
He deserves it Traffic. He can wear 5 bars if he wants. Just my thoughts

TBM-Legend
10th Sep 2013, 10:16
Do you need 4 bars on your shoulder to fly an SR22 now?

Ryan has done an outstanding job. The bars make life easier going through weird countries and officialdom. He doesn't need a cheap shot like this.

I wonder how many other wannabies on here would have what it takes to put this project together at age 19 and execute it safely???

Ultralights
10th Sep 2013, 12:09
when flying in countries that well, have some dubious officials in important positions, it pays to look the part. as much as we call them ****** bars, myself included, they do command respect to the uninitiated. imagine arriving at an immigration area at an airport in a dodgy country, would you feel less likely to be forced to pay a bribe, or have someone "find" something suspicious, wearing a 4 gold bar flight suit, or your comfy boardies and T shirt?

dibloc
10th Sep 2013, 23:43
Had the pleasure of meeting Ryan in Alice last week before his final legs home. Can't believe he's only 19!

Well done mate, what a champion.

training wheels
11th Sep 2013, 00:02
when flying in countries that well, have some dubious officials in important positions, it pays to look the part.

Agreed. I recall a group of Malaysian GA aircraft transiting through Halim (Jakarta) on their way to Australia last year, were given a rough time on the ground, as they were dressed very casually in polo neck t-shirts and shorts. I also came across a guy ferrying a C182 to Perth in Bali wearing a pilot shirt with 4 bars but wearing jeans .. LOL .. I'm sure he took off his pilot shirt once airborne and donned a t-shirt for the rest of the trip.

Apologies for the thread drift and back on track ... big congratulations to Ryan. We were probably flying in the same airspace the day he left Halim for Broome.. beautiful weather that day :ok:

layman
11th Sep 2013, 15:15
A couple more photos were on the Roulettes site

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151682292333261&set=a.10151681927863261.1073741829.72961128260&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151682004153261&set=a.10151681927863261.1073741829.72961128260&type=1&theater

peuce
29th Jul 2014, 01:47
Interview for The Australian:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/ten-questions-ryan-campbell-aviator-20/story-e6frg8h6-1226989578700?sv=8ce935ee6d9f33ddad5677f4763a77f#.U9COeb10pB Q.facebook