PDA

View Full Version : Career path

FarhanIslam
28th Jun 2013, 20:52
Hi guys this is my first post. I would like to be a commercial pilot when I'm older. I'm currently taking my GCSE's in Maths, English, Sciences, Business, I.T, French & Spanish and I'm predicted 7A's and 3A*'s. At A-Level I plan to take Maths, Physics, French & Spanish. Do you guys think this is a good starting point in order to fulfill my ambition in becoming a pilot.

I know some of you guys maybe thinking who is this kid thinking he can make it straight away and having it easy. I know it is a long process and my parents are fully supportive of me. I also know the industry is currently suffering but hopefully if it improves and I'm willing to go all the way to becoming a Pilot.

Transsonic2000
30th Jun 2013, 01:08
Hi there and welcome to the forum!

Well, regarding your question I found the answer on the BA "Future Pilot Programme" website (see link at bottom of post):

You will need:

5 GCSEs at Grade C or above, including English Language, Mathematics and a Science (single or double award), excluding General Studies.

PLUS

either 3 A-Levels at Grades BBC or above, excluding General Studies.
or an Honours Degree at 2:2 (or higher) or a pass (or above) in a higher degree such as MSc, MA, MPhil, DPhil, PhD, MBA.

If you are interested in aviation and becoming a pilot, some flight schools and/or aero-clubs offer so called "introductory flights" duration is usually about half an hour and you can even be on the controls yourself, that'd be a good opportunity to get a first impression of what it feels like to fly an airplane. And if the airplane is a four-seater (like a Cessna 172, Piper Arrow, or even a Cirrus - very fancy airplane) your parents, or at least one of them could come along on the flight.

If you like it and if it fueled your ambition of become a pilot you could start working on your PPL (Private Pilot License) anytime soon, but the earliest you could take the check-ride would be on the day you turn 17, the consent of your parents provided of course. I believe I pretty much got you hooked-up for a family trip to the next airfield.

Once you got your A-Levels and you still want to become a commercial pilot, I'd recommend to try to get on an airline sponsored cadet programme, that's the best way to get into the cockpit. British Airways is running a so called "future pilot programme" for further details see the following link:

British Airways Future Pilot Programme (http://www.bafuturepilot.com/)

Best wishes and success for your future!

FarhanIslam
30th Jun 2013, 01:28
Thanks for the reply Transsonnic2000 :). The aim would be trying to get onto an airline sponsored scheme but as we all know, they are very difficult to get into. I have seen the BA FPP and only 100 candidates are selected each year out of God knows how many.

Transsonic2000
30th Jun 2013, 15:35
you are welcome! Sure it's difficult to get in, but what is easy in life, certainly not becoming a pilot, but it's definitely worth giving it a try, and who knows maybe you are among the lucky winners!!!

FarhanIslam
30th Jun 2013, 15:50
Yeah hopefully :). In the meantime I will try my hardest to get the best grades possible, do a little flying here and there, Do a bit of work and life experience and try to improve my CV in general.