PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Hamilton with the Reds pre Silverstone

CoffmanStarter
28th Jun 2013, 19:38
A teaser for Sunday's BBC pre race feature !

YouTube (http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=RZpzTZwxa1M&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRZpzTZwxa1M%26feature%3Dyoutu.be)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BN1TGaKCAAAPiRv.jpg

I spent a day with the RAF Red Arrows making a film that you can see in the build-up to the British Grand Prix on BBC One on Sunday.

It was such an incredible day: a day that anyone would dream of doing. Looking back on it, I still can't believe I've been in a fighter jet.

When we first got there we had a briefing about what was about to happen, then we went out in the jet for about half an hour.

We did turns, loops, flips and I even got to fly the plane, which was pretty cool.
I've never done anything like that before and I flipped and rolled it. It was fantastic - just to feel the G-force was spectacular.

I got out of the plane and felt really bad, like seasick. It's very different from an F1 car. We are used to big G-forces but they are all horizontal. In the jet, the blood runs to your legs.

After that we did a demonstration on the runway with the jet and our F1 demo car, trying to sync us so we were travelling along at the same time.

Then we went up again and did the first half of a Red Arrows formation display. I didn't want to be a part of the bit where they fly towards each other. That would have been too much!

The best bit was right at the end when you come apart from the formation really aggressively and you pull a lot of G-force. It felt like I nearly passed out at the last run.

It hasn't made me want to fly my own plane - but I do enjoy flying model aeroplanes. Although I tend to crash them quite a lot.

More here ...

BBC F1 (http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/23091134?SThisFB)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BN18qH4CYAAGm-X.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BN3HYPECcAAjD1y.jpg

0-60 Mercedes wins. 0-550 Hawk wins ...

Looks like a fun day :ok:

Information aggregated from various feeds

Dash8driver1312
28th Jun 2013, 21:41
How do you flip a Hawk? And when did the T1 become a fighter?

thing
28th Jun 2013, 23:14
Ah Red Four beGod, can I remind you that the refuel bowser is the big green thing at the end of the ERP?....

tailchase
29th Jun 2013, 07:02
Do you think David Coulthard would have used his mobile to take photos inside an F1 car let alone a Hawk - suspect the Eng Team will look at that bit and have loose article all over their faces.

P6 Driver
29th Jun 2013, 07:16
Well done again, PPRuNe!
The first three replies to a thread are chipping and critical.

Good luck to the chap for Sunday (and to the Reds).

thing
29th Jun 2013, 07:37
Private joke, no offence intended.

Red 4 top bloke as I'm sure is Mr Hamilton.

Wensleydale
29th Jun 2013, 08:04
Red 4 top bloke as I'm sure is Mr Hamilton.

If I remember correctly, wasn't Nigel Mansell Red 5?

spekesoftly
29th Jun 2013, 08:29
..... wasn't Nigel Mansell Red 5?

Yes, and he also turned down an offer from the Arrows (F1) team. ;)

Wander00
29th Jun 2013, 08:32
Met NM at a Reds End of Season Guest Night - not half as funny (or personable) as David Jason, who was also there.

thing
29th Jun 2013, 08:46
Engine running pan

Fox3WheresMyBanana
29th Jun 2013, 15:48
We gave that Damon Hill a ride in an F3 at Coningsby.

p.s. NM was a special constable on IOM, and I am reliably informed that he has on at least one occassion addressed a speeding motorist, when stopped, with the phrase "Who do you think you are? Nigel Mansell?", which was apparently very well delivered, comically speaking.

Genstabler
29th Jun 2013, 16:55
The BBC film of the visit is on tomorrow, Sunday, at the start of the race coverage.

Wild Swan
29th Jun 2013, 17:42
The Red Arrows and Lewis Hamilton on Vimeo

A link to the 6 minute video.

Top Bunk Tester
29th Jun 2013, 18:09
Whole 6 min feature here:

The Red Arrows and Lewis Hamilton on Vimeo

Wander00
29th Jun 2013, 19:01
Wonder what LH's insurers thought of the idea!

Roadster280
29th Jun 2013, 19:22
I enjoyed that :ok:

STANDTO
29th Jun 2013, 21:00
Fox 3 - a slight bent on the true story but near enough.

Mrwideboy
4th Jul 2013, 21:07
I was at silverstone at the weekend and the red arrows display was stopped by a clumsy PPL do any one know who it was? Or the registration?

I was in the hospitality area and the pilot in the picture gave a little talk on how he broke off and intercepted the aircraft, he was about the same height as me 5'9, I realise Lewis is a little shortie

BEagle
5th Jul 2013, 06:23
...how he broke off and intercepted the aircraft...

He did what??

Of course the private pilot shouldn't have been in the RA(T); of that there is no doubt. He/she should expect to have the book thrown at him/her and cannot expect anything less.

But 'intercepting' such an aircraft? Who authorised that? I recall it being reported that after a civil aircraft, which had wandered through the ATZ at Syerston, had been intercepted, the intercepting pilot was told that such an unauthorised act was totally unacceptable....

Unless the idiot who penetrated the RA(T) looked like he/she posed a confirmed security risk, there can have been little justification for intercepting the aircraft. It should have been tracked to destination and action taken afer landing.

Genstabler
5th Jul 2013, 07:59
Easy Beagle! Mrwideboy could be the PPL pilot who infringed and is trying to find out if he was identified!

davydine
5th Jul 2013, 12:26
No expert, but i would imagine Reds have a procedure for dealing with infringements. Can't really imagine an intercept being part of it.

thing
9th Jul 2013, 21:40
Ah. Right. What sort of aircraft could you expect to see on the ERP at Wadddington then?

Ones that need their engines running?

thing
11th Jul 2013, 10:17
I feel I must know you...:) in which case I forgive you. By the way if it is you that was a mighty quick time back from Carlisle the other day. Didn't know the little poppet went that fast...

Edit: looking at your sig though you could be someone else who's a dab hand with the barbie. Damn these pesky forum names.