PDA

View Full Version : First Ospreys arrive at Mildenhall

mmitch
28th Jun 2013, 07:39
The first 2 of 10 CV 22 Ospreys has arrived at their new base at Mildenhall.
352nd SOG welcomes Osprey to fleet (http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123354005)
mmitch.

SASless
28th Jun 2013, 11:07
No mention of long range SAR work....hoisting injured off ships at sea and fetching them back to the UK like the 53's and Hawks used to do.

Lonewolf_50
28th Jun 2013, 13:11
Haters are gonna hate.

Come on, SASless, isn't the axe sharp enough yet? Does it need any more grinding? :}:cool:

SASless
28th Jun 2013, 13:33
Years ago....crews on the 53 expressed some concern over the change in mission that was going to occur when the 22's replaced the 53's. They brought up the SAR issue along with the transfer of some functions to the 160th SOAR.

Not grinding axes....merely asking if the Long Range Civilian SAR mission done previously by the USAF in the UK would continue with the arrival of the 22.

It is a valid question....either they are...or they are not.

If they do....then fine.

If not...then a valuable service has been lost.

The UK SAR forces are range limited due to the lack of AAR capability that the Hawks and 53's had thus the USAF got called upon for some long range SAR flights that were of benefit to the UK.

The Long Range SAR from the UK is not a primary mission for the USAF but it is something they did. I just asked what the situation was....why you got your nose out of joint for my asking the question?

I think you do protest too much Sir!