PDA

View Full Version : Fast Track Training

meffen
28th Jun 2013, 01:10
Hi All,

I am looking at studying for my CPL. I have no previous training or flight experience. Over the past several weeks I have been doing my research as to where or which flight school I should attend.

The fast track course offers a 22 week course - Private Pilot Licence, Commercial Pilot Licence, Multi Engine Command Instrument Rating and Diploma of Aviation. They say they have full government VET FEE HELP approval.

There seem to be many courses available in the USA for full CPL training in which most schools over there have the complete package incl accommodation with a duration of 6 months. This seems to be the norm across the board over there. Is it training of the future? And if Australia offers this kind of training completing the required number of hours for a CASA recognized licence surely frequent flying twice daily 5 times a week is better than once or twice a week?

Also being backed by our government for study assist etc should mean this kind of training works/or is of the same quality as the more traditional education? I was interested in opinions or if anyone has any information on fast track training or could offer some advise.

Cheers

Rate1
28th Jun 2013, 23:10
Hi Meffen,

Be wary of schools which promise a short time frame to complete a professional pilot licence course. There is no rush! As you will learn when things are rushed in aviation it all turns to manure very quickly. Everybody learns at different rates. You could be faster or slower than average. Remember prices quoted are for completion in the minimum time. All this needs to be taken in to account. What ever happens, you are going to spend a lot dollars and you want the best value you can get. If there are any large aviation companies at you local or capital city airport seek out their opinion.
Another thing to consider is a law we teach to flight instructors. It is called " the law of primacy". This means that how you are taught in the beginning is how you act for the rest of your career. The initial part of a professional pilot course needs to have the basics locked in for you to have a safe and fruitful career.
Schools that promise you will walk into an airline after a short course are sending you down the wrong path as well. My company still requires a minimum of 500 multi engine hours and an ATPL before pilots are considered for employment. Some airlines run cadet programmes which a worth having a look at. Universities run degree courses with flying included. Many airlines prefer pilots with a Tertiary qualification. Lots of choice.
Hope this helps.

Good Luck

meffen
4th Jul 2013, 23:43
Thank you Rate 1 after your advice I did some more research only to find the grass is not greener on the faster side. I think I will complete the course within 12-15 months at a professional flight school in Queensland fully supportive of the students pace. Thanks again!

Clare Prop
13th Sep 2013, 13:49
We used to joke that the only difference between the Fast Track students and the others were a pair of orange epaulettes which effectively cost about 10 grand each with the matching tie worth another ten grand.

There are no short cuts in this industry.

If they want your money up front, run away!

There are people more knowledgeable than me but I understand the FEE HELP is only for instructor and instrument ratings. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.