PDA

View Full Version : Help Please - Old aircraft needed for training purposes.

WeekendFlyer
26th Jun 2013, 15:24
A Further Education college near me teaches aeronautical engineering from BTEC through to degree level and provides training for apprentices. They are extremely keen to get hold of an old aircraft to enhance practical teaching; the ideal would be a 2 or 4 seater high wing, (e.g. Cessna 152, 172, etc) that is time expired or has failed its CofA and is thus being sold cheaply. The engine does not need to run but the aircraft would need to be mostly complete and mechanically functional. A small amount of damage would be acceptable. Not particularly bothered about the avionics fit either.

If anyone knows of such an aircraft going cheaply or looking for a home, please could you let me know? Also if anyone has suggestions as to where to look for such an aircraft, please feel free to make suggestions!

Genghis the Engineer
26th Jun 2013, 15:54
I know of a semi-derelict CFM Shadow CD on an airfield in Hampshire that would just need a good clean, but is unlikely to ever be flyable again.

Your profile is not set to receive emails and I can't currently "do" PMs. If you'd like to send me an email, I'll email you back contact details for the owner and the location of the aeroplane.

I also have a friend with a poorly Goldwing (a single seat Canard), also unlikely to ever be flyable again, on the Isle of Wight, and can send you his details also.

Both are complete and intact, just have been sat in a field not being looked after for too many years.

G

Genghis the Engineer
27th Jun 2013, 21:04
WF - got your email, but I can't reply; I suspect that what's stored in PPrune may have a character wrong somewhere as it keeps bouncing back from 2 different email accounts as undeliverable.

Do you want to just email me direct at boffin [at] engineer [DOT] com , and we'll see if that works?

G

A and C
29th Jun 2013, 09:27
About this time next year you can have your pick of 100 series Cessna's when the deliberate misreading of the SID's check document hits the buffers with the hard end date.

N707ZS
29th Jun 2013, 23:11
There is at least a 150/152 been at Bagby for years there might also be an expired 172. Also a dead Ralley.

On-MarkBob
7th Jul 2013, 21:07
That's Rallye !

When training, it's important to get the right kind of aircraft. Something obscure will not necessarily be beneficial. unfortunately, with the cost of aircraft parts these days, even old, worn out and untidy aircraft can fetch a tidy sum. Be prepared to pay!!

Rgs. Bob

WeekendFlyer
10th Jul 2013, 14:48
It appears that there might be quite a lot more budget available then originally thought. The requirement is now for something more impressive, perhaps a piston twin with retracts and constant speed props (e.g. aztec, seneca, C310, etc) although the budget might just stretch to an old retired small business jet (e.g. Lear 25, Dominie, early Cessna Citation or similar).

Will still need to be a time-expired aircraft and/or one that has no CofA. Engines don't need to run but would be very useful to be able to apply electrical and hydraulic power via ground servicing rigs. Anyone got any recomendations for a maintenance training aircraft that might fit these requirements?

On-MarkBob
15th Jul 2013, 03:54
Good move! For an aircraft engineering trainer, the more sophisticated and modern the better. Like professional pilots most professional engineers will end up in the airline industry, particularly if they want the money. Experience of sophisticated machines would give them an advantage and give them a boost at the job interview.

Also, if you haven't already done so, take a good look at the curriculum. You will find all sorts of stuff like "aircraft toilets" not allot of Rallyes have them! (though sadly some have become one).

We are currently training an aeronautical college student and give him work experience on real flying aircraft in-between his time at college. Have you spoken to your local aircraft maintenance company? You may well be surprised at what they can do for you. Even if it is filling in the gaps from the "Rallye" to the more sophisticated types and "aircraft Toilets" and stuff.

If you still need an aircraft for the classroom, send me a PM and I might be able to sort you out. Our main business is sourcing and rebuilding defunked aircraft getting them airworthy again. We buy sell and part exchange - for a price! We often have to turn aircraft down as being beyond economic viability, but it doesn't mean they are not valuable as spares for others or another. Fancy a Jetstream? or is that too big?

AvEnthusiast
15th Jul 2013, 05:29
I also need a C-172 for training, but I need a flyable and airworthy one. If anyone has any info please pass it on.

John R81
15th Jul 2013, 21:04
I am hoping to make a trailer-mounted display cockpit to take to shows for children to have a sit-in for free.

"Cheap" is the main need. Non-flying, don't need the wings, or anything much behind the pilot's seat though happy to take whatever is available and "shorten" it. Happy with obsolete and / or unusal model, including kit built. Happy with / without engine but certainly the engine does not need to run (and never will!) Ideally with instruments and controls intact / switches the children can operate and the prop.

Any offers or ideas please PM

Thanks

John