PDA

View Full Version : Live Chat With Airline Pilot

troppo
26th Jun 2013, 02:20
Travel | live chat with airline pilot Richard Falkner... | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/new-zealand/8843356/Live-chat-with-airline-pilot)

Entertainment Purposes Only :}

Do women drool over the fact your a pilot? :D
Joining a cadet program would be the best route to ensure a career in an airline :E
Have you seen the movie Flight? Is it possible to fly a commercial jet liner upside down? :}

troppo
26th Jun 2013, 02:37
In case you missed it. Here is everything you need to know.

Thanks a lot everyone. Great questions! See you on a Jetstar
flight sometime soon!

They are already here!! They have been in use by the military for quite some time. However there are no plans to remove pilots from the cockpits of airliners - to add an extra level of safety for the travelling public.by Richard Falkner 2:34 PM

Terrific, Richard, thanks so much for your answers .. we're going to wrap it up now - but just tell us one last thing: How far away is the pilotless, fly-by-wire airliner?by Stuff newsroom 2:32 PM

I have hit a couple of very small birds in my career, like all pilots. This has no effect. The A320 doesn't have a fuel dumping system as it doesn't need to carry as much fuel as the really big aeroplanes - they have a big difference between their max
. takeoff and landing weights.by Richard Falkner 2:32 PM

Hi Richard thanks for your time , Have you ever encountered a bird strike ? and is the A320 capable of dumping fuel in an emergency ?by Andrew W 2:30 PM

There have been a few cases over the years in various parts of the world. So whilst the risk is very low, aviation authorities quite rightly set very conservative policies for your safety.by Richard Falkner 2:30 PM

Does using cellphones on aeroplanes really cause issues with navigation?by Adrian edited by Stuff newsroom 2:28 PM

No. We are trained to remain calm when situations become more challenging. Also, t
he more you understand aerodynamics and meteorology the more everything makes sense.by Richard Falkner 2:28 PM

Have you ever been scared on a flight, as a passenger or a pilot?by Bryony 2:27 PM

To make sure the crew can see outside the aircraft in case a t
hreat/risk eventuates after landing.by Richard Falkner 2:26 PM

Why do we have to open the window blinds when landing?by young 2:25 PM

Aircraft are designed and tested to cope with lightning strikes. In those situations are are monitoring the systems and instruments. It is business as usual but we will always look to avoid bad weather whenever possible.by Richard Falkner 2:25 PM

Upside down? Possible, but not intentional.
by Richard Falkner 2:24 PM

I was on a plane from Wellington to Auckland that got caught in an electrical storm a few weeks ago. It was hit by lightning but worse, it seemed to get tossed around the sky like a toy. What is happening in the cockpit at these times, and do you get worried as a pilot or is it buisness as usual.by SB 2:23 PM

Having an issue with one engine. All large arcraft are designed however so that you have a lot of redundancy i.e. al
ways at least one backup.by Richard Falkner 2:23 PM

Have you seen the movie Flight? Is it possible to fly a commercial jet liner upside down?by James 2:22 PM

We use highly advanced weather radars to avoid the worst turbulence.by Richard Falkner 2:22 PM

What is the scariest situation you have been in when flying?by Tom 2:22 PM

The Airbus A320 that Jetstar has is highly advanced and also a great aircraft to fly. Ve
ry safe.by Richard Falkner 2:21 PM

Can bad turbulence make the plane crash?by Geoff 2:21 PM

I loved the B747-400, the queen of the skies! So easy to fly, and built like a tank!by Richard Falkner 2:21 PM

In turbulence the pilots are normally pretty busy, they they'll talk to you as soon as they can afterwards.by Richard Falkner 2:20 PM

What is your favourite aircraft to fly?by Brydon 2:20 PM

Jet lag- rest, drinks lots of water, and exercise well at your destination.by Richard Falkner 2:19 PM

Having spent a lot of time traveling throughout Asia i have still yet to master the art of avoiding jetlag, what are your top 3 suggestions to help with thisby Bomber 2:19 PM

Turbulence is part of the job. I recommend studying meteorology, as normally a background understanding in the dynamics that are taking place really eases the nerves.by Richard Falkner 2:19 PM

Often I wish pilots would talk to passengers more, explaining what was going on. It would be reassuring during bad turbulence to hear from you. Would this be possible?by Debbie J 2:18 PM

A lot of pilots build their hours in general aviation and/or commuter airlines before joining the bigger airlines.by Richard Falkner 2:18 PM

I fly every week for my job, but hate the turbulence. What would you say to nervous flyers when the flying gets very rocky. What could happen to the plane?by Jeff 2:17 PM

The Captain sits in the left seat, as in some aircraft they can only be taxied from that side.by Richard Falkner 2:17 PM

Is there any reason why the Captain sits in the left seat?by Grant 2:16 PM

The saying goes pilots never get paid enough on bad days, so their is a balance there!by Richard Falkner 2:16 PM

Hi. How did you clock up enough hours before the big airlines would take you on. It's so hard to get into the industry.by Liam 2:16 PM

Joining a cadet program would be the best route to ensure a career in an airline.by Richard Falkner 2:16 PM

Do pilots get paid much?by KWilliams 2:15 PM

It normally takes around 18 months to get your commercial pilot licence (CPL), and then one build flying hours from there. Jetstar has a cadet program, which is a great avenue into the industry. I have worked with quite a lot of people who have become pilots as part of a second career i.e. in their 30s etc.by Richard Falkner 2:15 PM

Hi, I completed my CPL and all the papers a few years ago and have nearly finished a degree at uni. If I want to go back to aviation and continue that dream career, what do you reckon is the best path?by Sam 2:13 PM

Most modern aircraft and land automatically and stop automatically!by Richard Falkner 2:13 PM

How long does it take to train as a commercial pilot and what age is too old to start?by bevan 2:13 PM

With the assistance of air traffic control and an experienced pilot who flies the same aircraft, it is possible. It would require the correct programming of the autopilot systems.by Richard Falkner 2:13 PM

Could a non pilot be able to land a large aircraft with instructions from the control tower or a pilot on the ground?by its-macman 2:11 PM

Yes, from time to time. They are normally related to weather delays that can naturally make people uneasy. However keeping people well informed and reminding them of their obligations under aviation law always resolves these issues.by Richard Falkner 2:11 PM

Have you ever had to deal with unruly passengers?by Jerry 2:09 PM

I've never had anyone complain about the fact I wear a uniform at work!by Richard Falkner 2:09 PM

Do women drool over the fact your a pilot?by youngandwild 2:08 PM

The role has evolved to one of 'flight management' in the 21st century due to the advanced levels of technology in place. There is always weather to be conscious of, systems to monitor, and passengers to cater for. So whilst the cruise is a lower workload phase of flight, we are still kept fairly busy.by Richard Falkner 2:08 PM

They say apart from take-off and landing, a pilot’s life is dead boring. What stops you falling asleep on the flight-deck?by Stuff newsroom 2:05 PM

Wellington keeps us on our toes at times, and calls upon our extensive training. That said, Wellington is very well equipped, which makes the task a lot easier.by Richard Falkner 2:05 PM

We’ve had some fairly hairy landings in Wellington. What do you rate the world’s worst airport to land at?by Stuff newsroom 2:03 PM

Queenstown. Having flown worldwide, its scenery is the most impressive I have come across.by Richard Falkner 2:03 PM

What's your favourite airport to fly into and why?by nicola555 2:02 PM

Hi everyone, nice to be here and hope I can help answer your questions.by Richard Falkner 2:01 PM

Hi, we're almost ready for take-off, keep those questions coming and we'll welcome Captain Falkner aboard.by Stuff newsroom 1:51 PM

cruisingeagle
26th Jun 2013, 02:42
which airline is the best to join as a cadet pilot??
any comments??

thnx

27/09
26th Jun 2013, 05:01
which airline is the best to join as a cadet pilot??
any comments??

thnx

If you're talking cadets as for example the Jetstar "Cadet" then there is no best airline it just a case of which is isn't the worst, they're all bad.

DeltaT
26th Jun 2013, 08:19
A Bird Strike has no effect on a jet engine :}

training wheels
26th Jun 2013, 10:50
A Bird Strike has no effect on a jet engine :}

He's correct if the bird doesn't get cooked ;)