PDA

View Full Version : Log book help

mark_c
25th Jun 2013, 17:16
Hey, up until now I was using a private pilot log book, but have just got a new commercial pilot one today. It's a slightly different layout but I can figure out most of it, however column 5 (pooleys log book) asks you to indicate whether the flight was "single pilot single engine", "single pilot multi engine" or "multi pilot". Am I right in thinking even dual instruction in a single engine will go in the single pilot single engine and NOT multi pilot. I seem to recall hearing "multi pilot" aircraft is not just an aircraft with two pilots on board it is an aircraft that HAS to be operated with a multi crew. Can anyone tell me if I'm right or wrong? Cheers!

CruiseControl_007
25th Jun 2013, 17:29
To keep things simple...

As far as I am aware all your training flights are recorded as single pilot crew including dual instruction. Multi-crew time is normally recorded when operating commercial aircraft in a multi-crew environment.

Bear in mind that the above is referring to commercial training and not military.

That is my understanding anyway.

2close
25th Jun 2013, 17:58
You've got it Mark_C,

SPA SE = Single Pilot Aircraft Single Engine
SPA ME = Single Pilot Aircraft Multi Engine

MPA SE = Multi Pilot Aircraft Single Engine
MPA ME = Multi Pilot Aircraft Multi Engine

The majority of training from 0 to ME CPL IR will be on SPA SE aircraft and latterly on SPA ME aircraft.

Any flight with an instructor as a student pilot will be entered as PUT (Pilot Under Training) - entered in the DUAL column

Any flight as a student pilot (Solo flight) will be entered as PIC (Pilot In Command) - entered in the PIC column

Skill Tests are entered as PICUS (Pilot in Command Under Supervision) - also entered in the PIC column (or PUT in the case of a Fail or Partial Pass)

MPA hours are only entered when operating as a member of the crew of a MPA. This will either be an aircraft specifically listed in the EASA Class & Type Ratings list as a MPA or a complex SPA which is being operated as a MPA by an AOC holder, and which is specified as such in their AOC, Ops Manuals, etc.

For example, a company may be operating something like a PC12 (SPA SETP) or King Air (SPA METP) as an air taxi on an AOC and have specified it to be operated as MPA. The aircraft will have to be flown with two crew members at all times whilst carrying out any duties specified on the AOC. However, if they were operating it as a SPA, they couldn't just decide to put two crew in it one day and operate it MPA, just so both pilots could count the hours. Often, companies operating complex aircraft as SPA will still put two pilots up front, mainly for the benefit of the passengers in the back - looks better with two drivers than one :).

I have heard of certain individuals recording time flown in the right hand seat of a C172 (as an example) as P2 in their log book and counting it towards their total time!! :rolleyes:

mark_c
25th Jun 2013, 20:12
Thanks guys, that's what I thought just wasn't 100% sure!

CruiseControl_007
25th Jun 2013, 21:31
Skill Tests are entered as PICUS (Pilot in Command Under Supervision) - also entered in the PIC column. If the Skills Test is partialled or failed then the flight time is recorded as P/UT.