PDA

View Full Version : Modular Route

uniandpilot
23rd Jun 2013, 10:36
I'v Decided to take the modular route,

would it better too take the ppl, cpl etc in the same place

or can i split it between different schools

would it affect me getting a job if i go to different schools.

mad_jock
23rd Jun 2013, 10:51
Well the PPL doesn't really matter.

But.....

If you go to the school that you intend to do your CPL with they tend to have a standardised PPL program which will make life easier when you get to IR CPL stage.

The CPL/IR is down to a comment made by the now in another job flybe Q400 fleet manager when he stated he would prefer pilots that had been in the same place and the ability to get a school report.

Now to be honest that's all of a bit of red herring because most of the large company's have been sold a line by the schools to get cadets direct through training programs which has tax advantages.

Most of the advice we can give you today won't be much use by the time you are available for work.

Personally I would get the PPL at a commercial school then do a bit of hour building and get the exams out of the way and then have a look at it again before you sit the final lot of exams.

uniandpilot
23rd Jun 2013, 11:13
Their is a school close by which does the ppl which i would do but wanted to move away for the cpl etc as it would be cheaper including the accommodation fees.

I want to go to school that is financial stable, I wont be handing over a large chunk of money to them but i want it to be stable so i can stay there and complete everything.

can anyone recommend me one within a 100 miles from birmingham

kaptn
23rd Jun 2013, 11:22
PPl will help you to see more clear on how to progress in your flight training. Get it done and you'll have more options to explore.

mad_jock
23rd Jun 2013, 11:34
Welcome to Advanced Flight Training (http://advancedflighttraining.co.uk/)

I think are based at Sherburn which might be a bit far for you.

There are loads of schools at Coventry both commercial and PPL.

NEVER NEVER pay up front never mind how much discount you get for doing so.

PURPLE PITOT
23rd Jun 2013, 11:57
Schools at birmingham, coventry, halfpenny green, tatenhill, derby. Plenty of choice for ppl and cpl.

Scott C
23rd Jun 2013, 13:00
There's Aero's and Atlantic Flight Training at Coventry and also Central Flight Training at Tatenhill.

I have done all of my flying training at Tatenhill, so am thinking of using CFT... They appear to be nice enough guys too.

However, I have recently started my ATPL exams with ProPilot at Coventry, so will pop in to Aero's to have a chat and get a feel for them.

uniandpilot
23rd Jun 2013, 16:11
has anyone completed their ppl on any off the above airfields if so which school and how good are they

easydebt
28th Jun 2013, 22:57
What sort of "job" are you looking for, uniandpilot?

If you mean regular airlines, then it very much WILL affect your prospects if you select to do your flying training with different providers and your hours-building off your own bat.

Airlines can afford to be choosy. What their bean-counters say they can't afford are the 'training risks' - the loose cannons (in their view) for whom they can't get a clear training report from one ATO covering all of their flying experience. Those who have simply burnt holes in the sky building bad habits as well as their hours, instead of having a structured programme of meaningful experience designed for them by the one ATO that has taken them from zero to Frozen ATPL. That's why a majority of airlines prefer Integrated training.

I've known people who have got in to airlines, despite training here and there and sometimes over some years. But for example, one had previously been an experienced First Officer on large ocean-going ships; another was an ex-Army Major. Another had been running a successful business whilst self-funding his training. In other words, people who have impressed their interviewers that they would fit in and cope easily with the disciplines of the airline. They had something extra to bring to the party - their experience, the strength of their personalities. They are the exceptions. You'd have to prove yourself above other safer bets, to be one of these.

For the average airline job candidate, the airlines want "catchy youngsy, teachy easy" with someone who has been moulded in one form, if possible by a Training Partner to the airline. Their training management and instruction is known and trusted, the airline may even have had a hand in the training manuals and observation of and feedback on the instruction being given. With the confidence in the partner comes less preference for Integrated against Modular.

Then again, if you are more confident in treading a different path - charter, cargo - how and where you've trained may be of much less importance than gaining the contacts to get in to these more closed worlds.

The best bet then, all things considered, is to stick with one school.

langshanks
30th Jun 2013, 17:30
CFT at Tatenhill only do professional, commercial training, not training for PPL. IMO they are up there among the best there are for CPL etc. but you'd need to get your PPL elsewhere first.