PDA

View Full Version : Hour Building in the US

mark_c
22nd Jun 2013, 11:16
Hey, I know there are plenty of threads with the same topic but most are fairly old. I'm looking for some recent experience of people who did their hour building in the states. Mainly looking at places in Florida but I'm open to suggestions. Can anyone recommend a good place to hour build in a C150/152? Also all my flying has been done in Ireland, is it easy pick up rules and procedures used in the states? Cheers

Agaricus bisporus
22nd Jun 2013, 13:09
US procedures are a doddle, a couple of hours of briefing and a check flight and you'll be away.

I can't imagine why everyone goes to Florida, there are 51 other states all with aircraft for hire to choose from. Google is your friend...

On the other hand unless you particularly want to go to the US it won't necessarily be much cheaper than doing it at home when you take airfares and living expenses into account.

Look into buying a block of hours dry at home and see how it compares.

Bearcat F8F
22nd Jun 2013, 18:44
Look no further!

SkyEagle Aviation Academy - Miami Flight School (http://www.skyeagleaviation.com/)

Superb service, great people who care about you and very affordable prices. Email or phone them. There's a cheap-ish hotel nearby too. Will probably need a rental car.

Florida is full of awful, unfriendly dirty etc flight schools but this one is great. I enjoyed my time there.

Have fun.

mark_c
22nd Jun 2013, 19:20
Thanks for your replies guys. I suppose Florida stands out more than the rest due to the fact there is plenty to do there when you are not flying. I am open to other states but Florida or California are the top two on my list. I've done the maths based on a school in Daytona Beach and with flights, accomodation, car rental, expenses and 40 hours flying it averages out around €95 an hour as opposed to €195 here in Ireland. Thanks Bearcat thats one that hasnt popped up on my numerous google searches, looks like a nice set up ill drop them a mail. :ok:

sapperkenno
23rd Jun 2013, 21:44
Chandler Air Service (http://www.aerobatics.com) is another outfit that come highly recommended. I went there myself for 3 weeks back in 2007 to hour build, and visit every couple of years. They have a few Cherokee 140s available for hire these days at very reasonable rates.
They are a very helpful bunch, and the scenery and weather in that part of the States is perfect for flying. Well worth a look.

Bearcat F8F
23rd Jun 2013, 22:42
Mark, there is a website with every single flight school in the US, state-by-state.

When I was trying to find a school for the same reason as you there I went through every single one and made a list. Here are my old findings:

$73 C152 Wisconsin fdlskyport.com
$75 C152 Oregon Salem Air Center Flight Training (http://salem-flighttraining.com)
$79 C152 Wisconsin flymilwaukee.com
$83 C152 Wisconsin lakeshore Aviation ---- free flight for every 10 hours
$84 C152 Wisconsin springcityaviation.com --- $100 credit for every $1000
$85 C152 Wisconsin wisconsinaviation.com
$85 C152 West Virginia flyaphelion.com ----- cool website

$69 C152 new Jersey flymafc.com --- club, yes avialability. but some weird stuff on website.
$89 C172 New Jersey flymafc.com --- 2 x C172 both look in great shape

$95 C172 Wisconsin cwa-fbo.com
$98 C172 Wisconsin flysunsetaviationllc.com

$89 C152 Washington, Renton rainierflightservice.com
$81 C152 Oregon gorgewindsinc.com

Some of those never replied to my emails so I just moved on. Eventually settled with Skyeagle Aviation Academy. It used to be called something different.

Have fun with the search.

P.S. By the way, Bartolini Air in Poland (very good school by all the reviews that I have read) offers a C150 at 85 euros/ hour I think.