PDA

View Full Version : Flying Legends Airshow, Duxford 13-14 Jul 13...where to watch from?

Hueymeister
22nd Jun 2013, 09:42
I know this may seem a tad Scrooge-esque, but I've just seen the prices for the gate for the show...I nearly died. Min price for the family to get in for us with ADVANCE booking £135!!!!! Now I also know that mounting such a show is a major undertaking, personnel, insurance and flying those wonderful aircraft, but what with fuel and food for seven of us it's a major financial undertaking...

Can anyone recommend a good vantage point where we might sit enjoy the show and our picnic?

Hueymeister
22nd Jun 2013, 09:44
...and I'm still disappointed the IWM doesn't offer mil discounted entry...I've asked a few times...only to be fobbed off with weak excuses...

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Jun 2013, 10:09
There is a minor road which runs parallel to the runway south of the airfield which my wife and I have used, but it gets crowded. We paid to go in once and it was worth it for once in a lifetime.

Old Photo.Fanatic
22nd Jun 2013, 11:03
Please be aware that the road south of the airfield is closed to traffic during the two days. (And during any other Duxford displays)

You have to park in and around Duxford village and walk along the road .
Most roads in and around the west of the village are well coned off, so its not easy.!!!!!
Its a bit of a trek and quite far back from the airfield.
But if you make it, it has some nice vantage spots with an overview of the whole airfield.

OPF

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Jun 2013, 11:57
Thanks for that - might have known it!!

Cunliffe
22nd Jun 2013, 14:48
I too avoid going into shows, not because of cost, as I am usually on my own but because I like to take photos. At many shows including Duxford, the spectator area is north of the display line so that the aircraft are silhoetted against the sun.
If you park at Duxford school (they charge a small fee for parking on display days) on the other side of the M11 you can walk through the field to be close to the end of the runway but on the other side of th motorway. This works best when thewind is westerly so you are on the approach. Beeware of getting too close to the flight line as I believe this is where the 109g landed short a few years ago.
Now I suppose somebody is going to tell me the access to the field has been denied for H&S reasons.

Evanelpus
23rd Jun 2013, 13:03
There is a field close by that a lot of people use. Can't remember, if it's a school field or farmers field but I've seen photos from this location and they are excellent. I'm sure someone here will know more.

JEM60
24th Jun 2013, 20:00
I believe it is a private farmers field, and there have recently been a number of complaints about it. Quite rightly, the farmer does not wish to have Joe Public walking all over his crops, and Police are beginning [so I have heard] to take an interest re trespass. Someone on another site recently questioned whether or not the Police had the power to remove you from private land!!. Surely it is a question of mannners!!!. How would you like it if a load of people stood in your back garden because it would be a good place to take pictures ?? If you have permission from the farmer, then fine!!!.
Please remember that this particular show is NOT run by Duxford, per se, but by Mr. Stephen Grey who owns The Fighter Collection. This show is his way of preserving WW11 fighters, so that we have the pleasure of seeing them fly. I do appreciate that the price for a family is steep, but is 'freeloading' the way to keep these fine aircraft in the air??
If you are that hard up, then one of two things. A. Don't go at all, or B. Leave your car with your family near the show if possible, walk into Duxford airfield and AT LEAST pay one admission fee before rejoining your family. If I want something I can't afford, then I go without!!. I am afraid, with respect, that denying someone who supplies such entertainment, free of charge for you, without any money from you, will be the start of the slippery slope for Vintage Air Shows!!. Do you HAVE to take the whole family, and I bet you could certainly take your own food!!!. I do!!!
When did youlast go to a major show?? Less than £20 per head and you are complaining?? I'm sorry you have such a large family, but..................:(:(

Cunliffe
25th Jun 2013, 11:17
JEM60
You obviously have not seen the field I referred to in my previous post. There are footpaths which take you to good viewing areas and places to sit without affecting any crops. I have never seen anybody no using the footpaths.There is plenty of room for spectators so it never gets crowded.
With regard to paying for entry, I always pay to go in the first time I visit a venue. After that , if I haven't enjoyed my first visit (usually because of the position of the sun) I will look for a vantage point outside on my next visit. Duxford falls into this category as did Mildenhall. I would always pay at Rougham because it offers such good photo opportunities but sadly no more.

JEM60
25th Jun 2013, 16:46
CUNLIFFE. I take your points, and apologies for mis-understanding the venue. I can assure you that, certainly at the May show, that there were many people standing in the crops where they shouldn't have been I too miss Rougham. One of the greatest 'little' shows ever. Oh, and £135 isn't a bad price for a family of seven. Probably on a par with every other major show.:)