PDA

View Full Version : PPL - Air law

alex_mewes
21st Jun 2013, 15:51
I have just started trying to learn the Air law exam so i can go Solo.

It seems to be so boring and im struggling to remember any of the information i am learning! :ugh:

Therefore does anyone know of any good websites, books or materials that will help me learn the information and pass the exam so i can go solo.

Thanks! :ok:

Saab Dastard
21st Jun 2013, 17:24
This comes up very regularly here - have you tried searching this forum for "Air law"?

SD

alex_mewes
21st Jun 2013, 18:22
Yeah, thanks. :D
Was wondering if there was any new websites or material?

glencoeian
21st Jun 2013, 18:51
I bought Oxford DVD on it - found that easier than reading and bought ppl questions and answers to help me through the other exams, my instructor told me studying air law was like eating sand - qUite like that good luck.

Capetonian
21st Jun 2013, 19:06
There are various different ways of presenting this dull but important subject. There is a Pooleys Air Law DVD which although a bit basic, might be more palatable than the Oxford book.
Publishers :
Pooleys Flight Equipment Limited
Tel: +44(0)20 8953 4870
Fax: +44(0)20 8953 2512
Email: [email protected]
Website: Pooleys Flying and Navigational Products and Accessories (http://www.pooleys.com)

There is also a database of Qs and As, JAA/EASA-FCL Test Prep, 010- Aviation Law, published by AviationExam in Prague, quite useful for self-testing.
Web: www.aviationexam.com (http://www.aviationexam.com)
Email: [email protected]

I had to learn it and I think eating sand is a good analogy!
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/16/21969962_3355667620_z.jpg?zz=1

Monocock
21st Jun 2013, 19:35
If you have a longish drive/train ride each day, you could consider the CD/MP3 version. Don't let it be background noise, make sure you properly listen and you'll have it imprinted on your mind.

(I've never been on a train, but I've been told it's a good method of learning!!). :)

MrAverage
21st Jun 2013, 19:36
Looks like that site doesn't have PPL questions....................

Read the book, read it again, then write out the bits you can't remember. If that doesn't work then dictate those bits and listen to them on your chosen personal music device. Nobody will be able to guess what track you're trying to sing along to. (You'll have to do without the music for a while, but it'll be worth it)........

helelizwil
21st Jun 2013, 20:11
I'm currently studying for my ppl air law exam too. Everyone recommends the confuser for questions, but unfortunately this is quite out of date now, and I don't know how good that would be for air law. Anybody have any other recommendations, books or online, for practice questions?

Cheers,

Buttino
21st Jun 2013, 21:13
AirQuiz - Online Practice Examinations for Pilots! (http://www.airquiz.com)

Howard Long
21st Jun 2013, 21:27
I did mine about five or six weeks ago. It is the first exam I'd taken in 27 years.

I used the Pooley's Trevor Thom red book, vol 2. It is hard going. I read the whole air law section first, but a lot was 'scanned' rather than taking it in verbatim.

To supplement it I found the AFE Simplifier cram section of a few pages, maybe four to six pages for each exam, a very good way to get started on doing test papers having read the texts. I used the AFE Simplifier tests and Pooley's Q&A book too.

I also used PPL Cruiser and Airquiz online for test papers but find PPL Cruiser less hassle as you don't have to go back to your email to find the results.

Using test papers I found to be very useful. Just sitting there reading a book and expecting to soak it up becomes a diminishing return after a while.

I achieved 87% in my air law which I was quite chuffed with at the time bearing in mind I'd not touched any exam or done any formal learning for such a long time.

In the few weeks since then I have done Met (100%), Nav (100%), Human performance (90%), Aircraft tech (98%) and Comms (93%). Met was the hardest since air law followed by aircraft tech. Met I made a right old meal of, unnecessarily, spent about four weeks fretting over nothing. A/c tech took me three and a half days on/off from first picking up the book: I picked the book up last Friday and took the exam on Tuesday. Human perf I talked over with the instructor after reading the book, no test papers, then walked straight into the exam. Comms took one solid evening, took the exam the next day, but I do have 40+ hours' flying, which makes it easier as I've actually done some of it for real. I am taking Fight perf & planning on Monday.

Since doing air law, my first exam, I also discovered The Great Circle test papers available as apps. They seem to be the most representative test papers I've seen. If you can answer their question bank I'd say you'd be in good stead.

In short there is no magic wand, nor should there be: if you really want to achieve something then you need to work at it. However, having said that, my last paragraph holds probably the best single tip. That, and a bit of self-imposed competition, realising someone else in the club is doing better than me!

Cheers, Howard

AV83R
22nd Jun 2013, 14:39
Just sat my test an hour ago. 1 week of study from the OAA books and test CD and passed with 95%

GBOZR
22nd Jun 2013, 22:44
Not only for Air Law but also for all your PPL exams you could try Derek Davidson. He is the owner of his own ground school in Bournemouth, UK. The rates he charges are quite reasonable and the level of tuition is very good. If you want more details drop me a PM :)

glencoeian
23rd Jun 2013, 17:18
Pooleys ppl questions and answers

This book's first publication date is 2012 bang up to date, think it cost me £30 odd pounds - has three or four multiple choice exams for each subject but the answers also explain why that answer is correct I found it invaluable as a study aid.

James1809
24th Jun 2013, 06:37
I used the Oxford Aviation CD, with a Word document open and wrote down all the important stuff I was hearing/seeing from the CD into the Word doc.

Then when I was ready, I paid for the subscription to AirQuiz and started taking practice exams, writing down in the Word document any questions I struggled or got stuck on so I could go back to them. Jon, who runs AirQuiz, is very helpful and understanding if you can't grasp why you got a question wrong, just post in the feedback box and he gets back to you quickly.

Alongside the AirQuiz exams I also did the Confuser questions, using the same process writing down anything unfamiliar/challenging in the Word document. Got 87.5% in the end on the final exam, good luck! :ok:

alex_mewes
26th Jun 2013, 14:47
Thanks for all the responses! I will definitely look at some of the OAA materials as they seem popular (So i assume they work!)

helelizwil
28th Jun 2013, 10:18
I have been revising for air law for a couple of weeks now. Mainly using the Air Pilot's Manual (Trevor Thom) and also testing myself using the AFE simplifier and Air Circle test iPhone app (good to get in a bit of revision on the move.)

I thought I was making good progress, until I registered for Air Quiz and got a load of questions on subjects not covered in any of the three other books/apps!

My exam is booked for Sunday, but now I'm worried. I don't know where I can find all this addition study material and whether I'd be able to digest it in time!

Does anyone know where I can find a comprehensive list of what is covered by the exam?

Cheers!

Grob Queen
28th Jun 2013, 11:13
Alex,

How are you getting on with Thom? I was using Pratt, but have now gone over to reading Pooleys as I personally find them much more user friendly with clearer explanations.

I use Airquiz which is good, but I am finding now that the questions on there are harder than the real thing and bizarrely, I have been getting fails or scrape passes on that...then do the real thing and pass with flying colours!

I find the best test questons to use are in the PPL Perfector as theya re real CAA questions. I have now passed Met, Air Law, Comms written and Aircraft Tech by brushing up with that...and lets just say, I now find it an indespensible publication ;)

thing
28th Jun 2013, 19:04
Comms took one solid evening, took the exam the next day, but I do have 40+ hours' flying, which makes it easier as I've actually done some of it for real.Which is great advice. It makes a lot more sense to do the exams as you do the relevant bits in the course as instead of being 'Learn this fact, learn that fact' you will instead (hopefully) have 'Ah, I wondered about that' moments. Doesn't help with air law I'm afraid but it does help to know which way to turn when you're head on with another a/c....it's dry I know but some of it is actually useful and could save your life.

Grob Q, you do know who wrote the Pooleys I take it...;)

Grob Queen
30th Jun 2013, 10:33
Grob Q, you do know who wrote the Pooleys I take it...

Thing,
I would have assumed Sebastian Pooley of Sword fame?!:confused:

Oh, and I see you're having an "illustrious" visitor over there, using your aircraft and pestering us as well?!