PDA

View Full Version : Where to land for Giant's Causway, NI?

rmdr2
21st Jun 2013, 15:13
Chaps

Planning on a weekender from Dundee to an airfield near the Giant's Causway. Can anyone recommend an airfield nearby that allows for any legal requirements (i.e. Special Branch notification, Border force notification, etc)? Maybe a quick pitstop at a customs airfield before flying on to somewhere more local?

And if there are any special procedures for a VFR flight into Northern Ireland, please do tell me!

UK registered aircraft with UK crew and passengers

Many thanks

rmdr2

chevvron
21st Jun 2013, 16:39
Ballykelly is about the closest.

Flyingmac
21st Jun 2013, 21:08
Causeway. Grass. 670x35mtrs.

Causeway Airfield, PPR essential.
Co-ordinates N55 01.38 W006 35.2
View is on approach to Runway 34. Note Electric Wires (Quite a distance, approx 300m from threshold)
Runway: orientation 34...16, Maintained area 650m X 20m. 33ft AMSL
Second runway 11...29 Maintained Area <380m. Currently under development. (also used as a taxyway to hangarage / checkin area)
Hangarage now available.
To ensure that we maintain good relationships with our neighbours, use of this airfield is strictly subject to the following rules:
1. Obtain PPR by telephone, text or email. No Permission Sought & granted = No use of faclity, unless a genuine emergency.
Tel Mark on 028 7082 3793 (office) or 07703 723 097 (mobile).
2. Visiting hours of of operation: 9am to 8pm
3. No overflying the Marina to the North.
4. No Multiple Landings i.e Circuits.
5. Booking in / out must be done. Log sheets in the Caravan.
6. Use of this facility costs 10 pounds per day. Unpaid fees are liable to a 50% surcharge, plus costs when invoiced post visit.
7. No refueling on the grass.
8. Visitors must not enter the hangars or workshops without being accompanied by a club member.
9. Visiting land vehicles must not exceed 20mph on the approach road. (Rhee lane).
10. Any abuse of the facility or inconsiderate operation of an aircraft will result in withdrawal of permission to use the facility in future.

Visitors are most welcome, the kettle is always on in the Club Caravan.

Avgas available. B&B available within cycle distance locally in both Guesthouse and Hotel.

Bicycles may be available by prior request. Pickup / dropoff may also be available.

For road access please phone for instructions.
Attachments http://www.ulsterflyingclub.com/forum/download/file.php?id=93&t=1&sid=8bcc22f187a744c9b339cf1c1573da14 (http://www.ulsterflyingclub.com/forum/download/file.php?id=93&sid=8bcc22f187a744c9b339cf1c1573da14&mode=view)

Cows getting bigger
21st Jun 2013, 21:12
Last time I looked the Giants Causeway was in the UK - no need for customs, SB only.

I think the closest airfield would be Causeway (their website seems to be down but some info at Hangarage and Tie down space, Hangarage - Causeway Airfield, Clubs & training, advert ID=16745 (http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=adview&adid=16745&imid=0)). This is just South of Coleraine.

If you need tarmac, then I it is a toss-up between Derry/Londonderry and Aldergrove. Ballykelly is not an option - unless you're a Ryanair 737 and a little confused. :)

A and C
21st Jun 2013, 21:56
Could someone order a saucer of milk for Cows getting bigger !

India Four Two
22nd Jun 2013, 06:08
Co-ordinates N55 01.38 W006 35.2

There's a typo in the coordinates. They should be N55 03.38 W006 35.2.

Incidentally, what's the disused airfield a bit further up river at N55 02.1 W006 35.7?

Cows getting bigger
22nd Jun 2013, 07:17
Mullaghmore. there is also Movenis about 5km SW of Mullaghmore which is predominately parachuting.

dublinpilot
22nd Jun 2013, 11:16
For the Giant's Causeway, you are probably going to need to get a car.

Causeway airfield is probably the nearest airfield, but there are zero facilities there. If you can talk someone into driving you a fair distance so that you can get a hire car then great. Otherwise you are probably stuck with either Aldergrove or Eglington.

Flyingmac
22nd Jun 2013, 15:49
More recent contact details here. Causeway Airfield (http://www.av8r.org.uk/causeway-airfield.html)

la4180
4th Aug 2014, 16:40
Hi Dublin Pilot,
Facilities at Causeway Airfield are well documented.
650M + 450M Strips, Grass cut twice a week. Seaplane ramp with access to runway.
Hangarage by arrangement - three hangars on site, nine aircraft based there.
Assistance with maintenance by arrangement, tools avail, oils etc stocked
Avgas available (proper metered fuel bowser).
Lift available to petrol station - loan cans available.
Hire cars available - they will drop the car off and pick it up again. For single local journeys club members can normally offer a lift.
Bed and breakfast (choice of 2) on same laneway as airfield, with hotel 1.5 miles away.
Brown Trout hotel with restaurant etc just 1.5 miles away, normally lift available or use the free loan bicycles.
Of course its all PPR - so if you land at 8.30 on a Sunday without asking or notifying PPR, its just you and the CCTV. However, the clubhouse is available.
Toilet etc... call 07703 723097 or 028 7082 5544 for PPR
Regularly there are vouchers in Flyer Magazine.

Maybe youre mixing it up with the old closed Mullaghmore strip (330m).

piperboy84
4th Aug 2014, 17:18
I was flying from Newtonards to Oban a few weeks ago and asked a local pilot about routing over the Giant Causway for a butchers, he said it was a waste of time trying to view from the air, not sure about airfields nearby but Newtonards is definitely worth a visit, really friendly and helpful folks with great hospitality.

la4180
6th Aug 2014, 00:43
I dont doubt the hospitality. Most fields are very hospitable.

Scenery along the North Antrim Coast is second to none! A regular location for game of thrones filming.

The Causeway itself is packed with tourists, but the entire coast is spectacular. Fair head to Magilligan is particularly spectacular.