PDA

View Full Version : Oooops!

vctenderness
20th Jun 2013, 16:21
Baggage handler mislays scanner and causes up to £1m damage to a jet
A baggage handler at Heathrow caused up to £1m worth of damage to a British Airways aircraft after a luggage scanner was sucked inside the plane.
It was reported to have wrecked an engine on the Airbus A320 as the pilot prepared to taxi to the runway.

The doors had been shut and the plane was departing the gate when take-off was aborted after the crew heard a loud bang.
It caused a three-hour delay for the 150 passengers on the flight to Bucharest earlier this month. The baggage handler had been using the scanning gun to check the correct bags were loaded. But it was reported that he rested it on the engine’s cowling, the outer rim of the jet, and forgot to pick it up.

BA is investigating how the missing scanner was not picked up during the pre-flight inspection. An source at the airline said: “The plane could have been downed if it had happened after take-off.”

British Airways said today that the damage to the jet cost "well under £1 million."

Looks like a vacancy for a baggage handler at T5!

Scott C
20th Jun 2013, 16:36
Nothing should be left on any part of the aircraft anyway... Full stop!

I'm a ramp agent at BHX and I'm pretty sure I'd lose my job if I did.

Agaricus bisporus
20th Jun 2013, 16:43
An source at the airline said: “The plane could have been downed if it had happened after take-off.”

What, someone puts a scanner in an intake after take off? Does no one vet 'sources" at BA - what a witless thing to say!

fotoguzzi
20th Jun 2013, 16:47
In happier news, it appears the engine passed its scan.

KBPsen
20th Jun 2013, 16:56
Baggage handler mislays scanner and causes up to £1m damage to a jetBritish Airways said today that the damage to the jet cost "well under £1 million."Is there no journalist who reads what they themselves write anymore? Maybe the baggage handler used to be a journalist and continued with the sloppy habits.

Que a rant from Jazz Hands

Facelookbovvered
20th Jun 2013, 17:01
I recall an occasion where a replacement seat cover had been left on the cowling and it was only during the push back when a passenger pointed it out to the CC that they quickly informed the Captain not to start No1 engine!!

The scanner out to have been picked up by the push back crew, equally it shouldn't have been put there in the first place, but it happens.

Basil
20th Jun 2013, 17:02
BA is investigating how the missing scanner was not picked up during the pre-flight inspection.
Is it just me, or . . .

JW411
20th Jun 2013, 17:20
Well, at least the cowlings were done-up otherwise it might have fallen out the bottom.

WHBM
20th Jun 2013, 17:27
An source at the airline said: “The plane could have been downed if it had happened after take-off.”

And there was me thinking that, at BA, if they got an engine failure after takeoff they just toodled out to a hold over Essex to consider their options .......

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Jun 2013, 18:11
<< take-off was aborted >>

Just as it was leaving the gate? C'mon.......

DaveReidUK
20th Jun 2013, 18:54
The quoted article is apparently another Evening Standard "exclusive" and so appropriate allowances need to be made.

Having said that, the BA884 18:05 departure to Bucharest left two hours behind schedule on Thursday 6th June. Coincidentally (or not), G-EUUM didn't fly at all between mid-afternoon on the 6th and the evening of the 9th, so that may have been the aircraft involved.

G-BHZO
20th Jun 2013, 19:26
Was UM not the Airbus featured in the paint shop on 'Airport Live'?

ShyTorque
20th Jun 2013, 20:26
One of those incidents where the real threat to safety is just moved somewhere else.

A bit like tripping over the "Caution - slippery floor" signs that Norma the cleaner placed in an unlit toilet at work, immediately behind the entrance door. By the time the building was unlocked, the floor had been bone dry for hours. The lights were on an "economy switch" where they only came on after you triggered a PIR and went off on a timer after you left. I've still got the scar where my head hit the razor sharp stainless steel earthing strap on the pipes under the sink..... Another issue there, too. :rolleyes:

DaveReidUK
20th Jun 2013, 22:36
Was UM not the Airbus featured in the paint shop on 'Airport Live'? Yes, it only flew for 4 days following its little mishap, before its week-long visit to the paint bay. Back in service today on the lunchtime ABZ.

DX Wombat
20th Jun 2013, 23:42
it appears the engine passed its scan. So when is the little one due? ;)