PDA

View Full Version : 10 TRW RF-4C Crash at July 1986 RAF Brawdy Airshow

Kato747
20th Jun 2013, 06:23
Just saw the closed thread regarding this sad crash at Brawdy on 24 July 86.

The crew, Capt Mark Makowski and 2Lt Dewayne Danialson, both ejected but out of parameters for the MB Mark 13 seat.

To correct a few misconceptions, regarding the accident; the "low speed" pass, & high AOA, apparently allowed fuel to collect in the aft section of the 600gal centerline tank (un-baffled at the time), thus causing a CG condition well aft, contributing to the loss of control of the aircraft at low altitude & airspeed.

Loss of the engine panel on the previous high speed pass was the reason the crew flew the low speed pass to allow tower to inspect the aircraft for dropped panels/objects.

1st TAC, NO SLACK ! Nickels on the grass to both of you, Mark & Dewayne. You are still missed.

Facilitator
20th Jun 2013, 21:01
I was a 'Stude' on 234 Sqn at the time and drove them to their aircraft prior to the display. I joined the RAF because I wanted to fly the F-4 and the 2 fine chaps showed me round the beast. We always wondered what happened re the low speed pass and it all makes sense now after 27 years. May they Rest in Peace.

DaveW
20th Jun 2013, 22:01
I was a simple spectator on the day, and could never really understand the delay between apparent cause (as it seemed at the time - panel detachment) and consequence. Like Facilitator, I am grateful to be now able to resolve what happened. 27 years? Surely not.

What a tragic sequence of events; thanks for letting us know.

I wonder; was there a direct link between this accident and (as you imply) the future baffling of the CL tank?

RIP.

Windy Militant
21st Jun 2013, 12:51
Missed the original thread but was also a spectator on that day and saw whatever item was lost from the aircraft depart as it passed my position on the crowd line.

A sad day. :(

valleyboy
21st Jun 2013, 22:05
I was the tower controller on the day whilst it is nice to know what happened still a very sad day

RIP to the crew

Murph1stTac
5th Feb 2021, 04:56
Hey Kato, it's Murph!

Kato and I were squadron mates at Alconbury during the time of this accident, so long ago. I knew Makowski and Danielson, and remember that tragic day so well. I had lunch with Makowski two days prior to his death. I was 24 and he was 31, with a wife and infant child. He seemed so much older to me. What did I know? Now I am old enough to have been his father! I had been on TDY with Makowski several times and liked him well enough. Known to brag a bit, but a friendly fellow.

Danielson was my age at that time, a sandy haired young man, somewhat shy around people he didn't know and new to the squadron. It was his first duty station , and to make things more tragic, his girlfriend was visiting at Alconbury at the time of the accident. I remember going home to change that afternoon and returning to the squadron pick up a pilot to play raquetball, when the Lt. behind the desk said to me "Makowski and Danielson are dead." Rather shocking, and abrupt way to learn the info that way.

I can't remember if it was before or after but another 10th wing aircraft was lost shortly before or after, an F-5 belonging to the 527 Agressor SQDN. 3rd AF Commander came to Alconbury and yelled at the wing commander "If you lose another aircraft, you better be in it!" .We all turned out for the memorial along with a greiving widow, and girlfriend, It was a bad time in the squadron, It was decades ago and thousands of miles away,but I remember their faces and that bad several days so well.

Just putting a human face on this accident, if anyone's looking at this old thread..
Murph