PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Flight Lieutenant Ian ‘Abbo’ Abson

CoffmanStarter
19th Jun 2013, 18:50
Congratulations F/L Abson :D:D:D:D

An RAF navigator has been awarded for heroism under fire while protecting civilians from attack by Gaddafi-regime forces in Libya in 2011.

Flight Lieutenant Ian ‘Abbo’ Abson was attached to the Armée de l’Air, the French Air Force, when he took part in the dangerous night-time missions near Tripoli that won him the Croix de la Valeur Militaire avec Etoile de Bronze (Cross of Military Valour with Bronze Star).

https://assets.digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/image_data/file/12716/DMC-13-131-029.jpg

In the citation for the medal, Flight Lieutenant Abson’s French Air Force superiors praise his ‘superb military qualities’.

It goes on to say:

On 28th March, Flight Lieutenant Abson led a patrol of 4 Mirage 2000D and 2 Rafale aircraft with distinction. During a night-time bombing mission south of the Libyan capital, Tripoli, he successfully destroyed high priority enemy buildings with several laser-guided bombs while under intense threat from ground-to-air defences.

He further showed his skill on reconnaissance missions on the 14th and 17th June when he destroyed 6 Libyan military vehicles that were about to harm the civilian population.

Thanks to his great tenacity and remarkable determination under enemy fire he directly contributed to the success of the coalition forces.

Because of his courage, his sense of responsibility and his selfless acts, he should be held as an example for our nation and he merits the award of the Cross of Military Valour with Bronze Star.

More here ...

UK Government News (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/raf-airman-receives-top-french-medal)

Coff.

Bob Viking
19th Jun 2013, 18:52
But does anyone know what the medal on the chest of the guy to his right is? I know the guy. He is currently (or was when I left last year) serving on IV Sqn at RAF Valley.
BV:confused:

500N
19th Jun 2013, 18:55
Impressive.

And even more so when I read the linked article as it is the second time
he has been awarded this medal in 2 years.

Wander00
19th Jun 2013, 18:56
Congratulations, but out of curiosity where was ceremony held - look like Chelsea Pensioners in the background.

500N
19th Jun 2013, 18:58
Bob,

It looks like the
Ordre national du Mérite (The Order of National Merit)

Background Noise
19th Jun 2013, 19:00
Looks like a National Order of Merit: Orders, decorations, and medals of France - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders,_decorations,_and_medals_of_France)

topgas
19th Jun 2013, 19:25
Says London's Carlton Gardens in the MoD press release

Wander00
19th Jun 2013, 21:25
Very, very well done

teeteringhead
20th Jun 2013, 13:25
I know that exact equivalents are difficult to determine, but is this (these!) about equivalent to a DFC?

Much respect anyway! :ok:

Bob Viking
20th Jun 2013, 15:09
Thanks for the info guys. I've tried googling to find out what he did but to no avail. He certainly never mentioned it!
BV

Sandy Parts
20th Jun 2013, 15:23
une slab de Stella pour tous les amis, n'est pas? Tres bon, tres bon :D

Charlie Time
20th Jun 2013, 15:56
'Abbo' didn't used to be called 'Combat Johnny' for nothing.

Easy Street
20th Jun 2013, 18:49
I know that exact equivalents are difficult to determine, but is this (these!) about equivalent to a DFC?

According to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_for_Military_Valour) it is more like a Mention in Dispatches. The highest (only) gallantry awards made to any RAF FJ aircrew during Libya were also MiD (2 x Typhoon pilots).

By the standards required to win gallantry awards today (in HM Forces, at least), it could be argued that all of these chaps were fortunate to get anything, since fast jets stayed largely out of harm's way thoughout. And I don't say that in a snide way - if you can achieve the task (which they undoubtedly did) while staying above the threat, why would you expose yourself to greater risk by descending? To do so could be argued to be negligent. The majority of RAF awards during Libya were therefore of the non-combatant 'well done' variety such as QCVS and other flavours of commendation.

navstar1
20th Jun 2013, 19:07
Brilliant and very many congratulations. Also still showing with pride " The "N single wing" Makes a very old navigator very happy!:D

Whenurhappy
21st Jun 2013, 05:18
Great to see. Just a pity the tailor didn't mount his ribbons correctly on his tunic. Am I being pedantic?

alfred_the_great
21st Jun 2013, 05:42
They seem perfectly fine to me - what do you think is wrong?

Whenurhappy
21st Jun 2013, 06:18
The mandanted space between rows...probably mounted by an Army tailor. As I said, pedantic.

alfred_the_great
21st Jun 2013, 07:02
Oh good grief, really?

Whenurhappy
21st Jun 2013, 07:48
Yep, 3mm. Vital, as I am sure that you agree.