PDA

View Full Version : FAA IR currency

ploucandco
19th Jun 2013, 09:53
I got my FAA IR end of Jan this year in FL. But due to circumstances, I got no opportunity to fly IFR in the meantime. To ensure currency, I need to do 6 approaches. I am in Belgium till the end of the month (living in Ukraine) and I am looking for options how to realise that. I did my IR in a 172 with Garmin 1000. So if someone knows a N registered 172 with Garmin 1000 for rent or even better a N certified simulator in Western Europe, I would be happy to hear from you.

B2N2
19th Jun 2013, 16:01
You DO NOT need a N-reg airplane for you IFR currency.
There is also no such thing as a N-reg sim or FTD.
A FAA approved FTD or SIM maybe.
But you can fly any registration aircraft with an instructor and log the six approaches towards your currency.
Somebody should have told you that when you did your rating :ok:

Cobalt
19th Jun 2013, 18:45
You can even do it without an instructor - you just need a pilot with you that is keeping a look out for you while in VMC.

It is going to be hard to find a G1000 equipped C172. I would recommend, if you have to get some training anyway, to use the "6 approaches, en-route, and hold procedures" to get some training in a steam gauge C172 [perhaps, for familiarity, with a GNS430/530], something you could actually use later to fly IFR on your own [assuming you get a European licence or a validation]

Clearedils
24th Jun 2013, 08:24
I have an FAA simulator available in the UK if that is any good?

B2N2
24th Jun 2013, 18:48
So does your 'simulator' have a letter of approval from the FAA :E
As stated earlier, NOT required.

MarkerInbound
25th Jun 2013, 00:43
As stated above, there's no requirement that the plane be "N" registered. The only FAA qualified sims in England are at Burgess Hill and Farnborough and are for aircraft that would be a little bit much for someone who just got their IR. You may have an FAA certified Training Device.

Trim Stab
25th Jun 2013, 07:48
I always find the FAA requirement to do a hold every six months very peculiar and somewhat anachronistic in these fuel-conscious days.

If FAA pilots are warned by the ATC that they may need to start approach x minutes late, do they pile on the gas so they can arrive in time to do a hold, just to stay current? Do FAA pilots sometimes ask the ATC to do a hold every six months so they can stay current?

B2N2
25th Jun 2013, 18:49
Nope, we can do a hold in lieu of a procedure turn on a GPS approach

http://lens.ou.edu/Images/WAAS_FlightTest/KOKC%20RNAV%20GPS%20approach%20to%20Runway%2013.jpg

That's how I do it at least.