PDA

View Full Version : Medical center in UK for initial

Dewoitine
19th Jun 2013, 06:16
Hello,
I'm sending my aeronautical file to the UK and I've been told that I have to get my medical there, that the spanish one is not valid. Can anyone tell me a good medical (fast!)center to get my initial? How long does it take and what is th approximate cost? Here in Spain it takes from on to 3 days, and it's around 180euros, I presume it will be similar in Uk, no? If it's in London, better, and if it can be near the UK CAA offices, much more!
Than-you.

Foxy Loxy
19th Jun 2013, 07:49
This should fit the bill!
How to find Aviation House | Medical | Personal Licences and Training (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pageid=1450)

You should find what you need there, and yes, you can have your medical done at Gatwick.

Dewoitine
19th Jun 2013, 08:10
Many thanks for the link Foxy Loxy. I understand by your message that the CAA offices are at London Gatwick?
Thank you !

Contacttower
19th Jun 2013, 08:29
Yes initial Class 1 medicals are done at Aviation House which is at Gatwick airport. According to the CAA website you can also have them done at NATS in Swanwick.

Dewoitine
19th Jun 2013, 15:41
Thank you very much Contacttower!

Arkwright
19th Jun 2013, 21:12
Not sure about the costs though.....180 Euros sounds very reasonable......I'm sure mine cost £500+ 15 years ago????

custardpsc
20th Jun 2013, 06:54
If you need an initial class one it will indeed be at Gatwick. As a matter of interest - why is your (presumably part-fcl ) spanish medical not considered acceptable? and if you already have a part fcl spanish medical don't you just need a renewal not an initial ? You really don't want to put yourself through an initial class one at gatwick if you don't need to. Not only is it the most thorough examination you'll ever have but the most expensive too.

Dewoitine
20th Jun 2013, 16:47
Thanks for the info Arkwright and Custardspc: I've contacted the CAA and the cost of the initial medical is 380euros.
I wanted to pass an initial in the UK because I need urgently to send my licence to the UK, and I thought that would be the fastest way. But I've been told that I can not do this, I must give them permission to bring my medical file from Spain to the UK. This takes approx 10 days they told me...But they had to send me a mail yersterday with all the info and I still haven't received it:\. The thing that I don't know is, if once they receive my medical file (my spanish class 1 medical is current) I still will have to pass an initial there or a normal exam there, or they will keep the expiry date of the spanish one. If someone knows the answer please let me know. If nobody knows I will inform here when I speak again with them.

Rat Catcher
22nd Jun 2013, 22:16
I did it I believe in 2008 from Dutch Class 1 to UK Class 1. I filled in a "SOLI" form, change of state of licence issue. This was however before I got the licence issued and I did my written exams and Skills test in the UK. It was painless, the worst that happened was it got lost in a mail strike so they sent me another one:ok: