PDA

View Full Version : Red Pelicans - and the Tiger Club vid

Shaggy Sheep Driver
18th Jun 2013, 16:35
I came across this recently. The Red Pelicans bit is a bit boring, but the second half, about the Tiger Club, is fascinating. It depicts some well known aviation chahracters such as Neville Browning, Neil Williams, Nick Pocock, and not least 'a young London advertising man' James Gilbert (he who owned and edited 'Pilot' magazine when it was very different to the indifferent publication of today). Crikey, they look young!

I think Nick Pocock is still around, but the others are no more.

LiveLeak.com - Sky's the limit (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fcd_1370222773)

treadigraph
18th Jun 2013, 17:35
Fantastic! Things aint what they used to be...

Is Pilot still around? I haven't seen it in the Croydon branch of Smiths this month.

Wander00
18th Jun 2013, 21:23
Worth it for the Ford Consul - Dad had one I learned to drive in, and my first "solo"!

T-21
19th Jun 2013, 08:51
Thanks for posting , interesting Neil Williams in the Avro 707 and Cosmic Wind and Neville Browning crazy flying in the Tiger Moth also.

cuefaye
19th Jun 2013, 09:07
and my first "solo"!

Keep it clean 00 (front or back?) :bored:

Wander00
19th Jun 2013, 09:46
CF - you remember the bench froint seat too then.......................

cuefaye
19th Jun 2013, 10:45
Not Aviation History, but certainly Nostalgia

True story, and now family folklore -- my eldest daughter (46) was conceived in the front, and at a place called Happy Mount Park (Morecambe) :D

Wander00
19th Jun 2013, 11:09
This thread led me to look at a list of members of RAF aerobatic teams , mainly JPs in the 60 and 70s. I was amazed at the memories some of the names brought up from the past - including P.... D....... sliding down the Watton runway in a Canberra T17 having pulled the gear up after a suspected engine bird strike.

FAStoat
19th Jun 2013, 22:12
What a great film for many memories!I was at the same School as James Gilbert,albeit in a different Social.His Obit in the College rag,said he had a lousy time and never wanted to have anything to do with it after he left!!I had many beers at Biggin and other Meetings in the 70s with him,where he expressed quite a fondness for the place,at least for the other lads and a few Dons,who tolerated boosy trips to Oxford!!!!My Boss and I both flew the same Bucker Bu133 as he had- from the same source Neville Browning,and so we still had much in common.A very nice guy and able Pilot,who succumbed to the dreaded "C".RIP Old Boy!!

Soko121
2nd Jan 2014, 13:30
Hello All,
unfortunately Nick Pocock is not with us any more. I live in Texas about an hour south of where he lived, his wife Alvena is still at his ranch and his son Stephen and his wife recently moved there. Nicks collection of rare planes is also still there. I think it was a couple of years ago now when he passed.
I grew up in England, spent time at Fairoaks and Blackbusche as a boy, moved to Texas and ended up flying DC-3's for a living for a while. Met Nick then, we had some great times, i remember giving him his US Biennial Flight Review one year in a Yak 52, and another year in the DC-3, that was fun!
Just finished reading the Exuberent Years of the Tiger Club, sure wish i had been around then ......
Simon