PDA

View Full Version : PPL Training

Gulfstream757
18th Jun 2013, 11:05
Hi everyone, I plan to start PPL training in about a month and just wanted to post what I plan to do so you guys can give me advice.

As you can see I'm 15 so I can't get the SPL for about 7 months. So at first I plan to take things very slowly maybe 1-3 hours a month. This should give me about 15-20 hrs i.e at solo stage by the time I'm 16 in February 2014. I hope this way I wont waste too much money and be at like 35 hours by February.

After I solo I plan to fly about once or twice a week that would put me at about the 55 hour mark in February 2015 if weather is taken into account.

That's my basic plan I would really appreciate you thought and opinions. In addition to this if there is anything else that I should keep in mind before starting I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance
Gulfstream757

mad_jock
18th Jun 2013, 11:57
Not really, just have a plan for your exams so that you do them without affecting your school work.

At this stage its very important that you get the most out of school and the best grades you can.

If you want to do more flying which will be cheaper than powered flight have a look at gliding its cheaper and loads of fun and will teach you good handling skills and look out.

The other thing which I know you won't have thought about is beefing up your CV for later on in life. So you need to be able to stand out from all the other pilots who are 20-25. You need things like voluntary work, sports or a hobby that's a bit different.

Have fun

MJ

PS I presume you are intending to go commercial if so go and get a class 1 medical before you do anything else. You can use it as a class 2 medical once it expires and is perfectly good for training. You will only need to renew the class 1 when you get your commercial license issued or when the class 2 rights run out. This is how it works in the UK but you will need to check it out how the Irish system works.

Gulfstream757
18th Jun 2013, 12:28
Thanks Mad Jock, I don't know if you are familiar with the Irish exam system but basically there are two state exams, the Junior cert in 3rd year and the Leaving cert in 6th year. I finish my Junior cert tomorrow and don't have the leaving for 3 more years. I plan to do the ppl exams in transition year which is basically a year in which nothing much is done as it is not part of the leaving or junior cert course therefore the theory part of the PPL will not interfere with my school work.

Also thanks for the info on the medical really helps.

Thanks MJ
Gulfstream757

mad_jock
18th Jun 2013, 12:53
No problem, the medical is important if you want to go commercial and if you can't pass that there are more affordable more fun ways to enter aviation as a hobby.

The CV thing is where most youngster fall over looking for their first job. They just don't have anything to put on it apart from exactly the same as the other 100's of unemployed pilots in the same boat.

Go get some gliding in during the summer though. With any luck once you have your PPL you will then be able to fly the glider tug which will be a cheap way of building hours.

They tend not to allow none glider pilots to fly them if they can help it because you need a gliders eye to see where the lift is and drop them off in the right place.

Gulfstream757
18th Jun 2013, 16:59
That's weird you should talk about gliding, I was just talking to my uncle who has 90 hours gliding and yesterday I was looking around on Dublin gliding clubs website. They offer intro flights for 99 quid which is the same as my first intro flight in a powered airplane.

I assume the thing with gliding is it gets your feet working being having to be much more coordinated?

How many hours would you recommend in a glider I don't plan to get a license but is in necessary for towing?

Thanks
Gulfstream757

Tay Cough
18th Jun 2013, 17:29
If you want to become a professional pilot, a minimum hours PPL on the CV is a good idea to keep up with the competition. Ideally you want to complete the course in around 45 hours with your first solo after as few hours as possible (think 8 or so).

mad_jock
18th Jun 2013, 17:34
Nobody cares about the hours for PPL especially from someone that got there when they were just 17.

We know fine that they have been flying for 2 years and its nothing to do with ability.

oh and 99 euros to go for a 20 min glider flight is robbery.

sapperkenno
19th Jun 2013, 05:42
"I assume the thing with gliding is it gets your feet working being having to be much more coordinated?"

If you fly a powered aircraft properly, you should also have your feet "working", not only to counteract adverse yaw (like in a glider), but also for the various effects caused by the engine and propeller - something you won't get in a glider. The only difference is that the average spamcan can be flown shoddily without correct use of your feet, and lead to laziness and poor piloting technique if a student isn't taught what to look for. In basic terms, the nose should stay where it is when rolling into or out of a turn, and everything is kept coordinated.

Gulfstream757
19th Jun 2013, 16:57
Yeah I thought it was a bit much. Just wondering how many hours I should get on a glider, I don't intended to get a license but is that needed for towing?

Sorry for my persistent and I'm sure annoying questions

Thanks
Gulfstream757

Gulfstream757
19th Jun 2013, 17:00
Aah thanks for the explanation:E, that's what I thought wasn't sure though

Thanks
Gulfstream757