PDA

View Full Version : IATA Confirms Ryanair Is The World’s Favourite Airline

ATC Watcher
18th Jun 2013, 06:33
Ryanair: IATA Confirms Ryanair Is The World’s Favourite Airline
Source: Ryanair
17/06/2013
Ryanair today (17 June) welcomed confirmation from IATA that Ryanair remains the world’s favourite airline after IATA’s 2012 World Airline Transport Statistics showed Ryanair once again carried more international passengers than any other airline.

Ryanair carried 79.6m international passengers last year, almost 29m more than second-placed Lufthansa (50.8m) and 35m more than third-placed EasyJet (44.6m).

Indeed, Ryanair carried more international passengers than:
· EasyJet and British Airways combined (75.8m)
· Air France, KLM , Iberia and Alitalia combined (79.3m)
· Lufthansa and Air Berlin combined (74m)
· and 8 times more passengers than Irish regional carrier Aer Lingus (9.6m)

end quote of press release

Sunnyjohn
18th Jun 2013, 06:38
Definition of favourite (from Dictionary online):
a person or thing that is preferred to all others of the same kind or is especially well liked
Note the word in the definition 'preferred' and the phrase 'especially well-liked'.
Most assuredly they carry more passengers and I use them regularly with no complaints. But 'favourite'? I think not.

BOAC
18th Jun 2013, 06:49
I believe Richard Branson commented on BA advertising themselves as 'the world's favourite airline' along the lines of - 'that makes the M25 the world's favourite motorway'.:)

flyingtincan
18th Jun 2013, 06:50
So all those millions of passengers are doing something they don't like?

Are they being forced onto the aeroplanes?

Dash8driver1312
18th Jun 2013, 06:51
"Preferred" does seem to fit the bill here...

Capetonian
18th Jun 2013, 06:58
I am surprised at IATA using such emotive language to promote an airline. Aren't they, as trade organisation, meant to be neutral and just publish statistics?

Whilst I would not deny the achievement here, and I recognise MoL's business acumen, he has secured top place in the tables by operating on a number of routes that are otherwise not served, and by appearing to offer very low fares, and keeping costs down by penny-pinching.

A lot of people will buy anything if it's cheap enough. An ex-boss of mine who was a foul mouthed oaf used to say, when people complained about the food on the airline I worked for : "They'll eat **** if they're starving."

So, well done, MoL, but pride comes before a fall, and like many others, I will not fly on Ryanair.

ATC Watcher
18th Jun 2013, 07:07
I am surprised at IATA using such emotive language to promote an airline
Read carefully, IATA never said this, they just published statistics. It is FR that did the promotional language .. very clever I would say..

Black Pudding
18th Jun 2013, 07:10
carried more international passengers than any other airline.

Does not mean favourate

The African Dude
18th Jun 2013, 07:12
flyingtincan if there is absolutely no other sensible option then I will use them - not being "forced" but I certainly do not consider if a "preferred" or enjoyable experience.

ExXB
18th Jun 2013, 07:31
But not the most favourite in RTKs!

No RYR for me
18th Jun 2013, 07:32
I believe Richard Branson commented on BA advertising themselves as 'the world's favourite airline' along the lines of - 'that makes the M25 the world's favourite motorway'.

Absolute classic that I should remember! :D

Dubaian
18th Jun 2013, 07:40
Shouldn't the Advertising Standards Authority look into this misleading use of the English language? It always bugged me when BA used 'world's favourite airline' and now O'Leary has jumped on the bandwagon.

Capetonian
18th Jun 2013, 07:47
easyJet jumped onto that bandwagon too, as 'the web's favourite airline'. Perhaps they deserve the accolade - Ryanair certainly don't.

ATC Watcher : Thanks - you are correct of course.

A4
18th Jun 2013, 08:02
easyJet has just surpassed 60 million pax per year - so the 44 million is "old news". Coincidentally, today, eJ have announced an order for up to 235 aircraft with a potential fleet size of 298 aircraft by 2022 which is about 3-5% expansion per year.

Can't blame Ryanair for spinning the IATA Data it's called marketing.

What the Fug
18th Jun 2013, 08:09
· and 8 times more passengers than Irish regional carrier Aer Lingus (9.6m)

Never miss an opportunity to put the boot in does MOL

Agaricus bisporus
18th Jun 2013, 08:11
Well, Heineken have been claiming for decades to be "probably the world's" best catspiss...
Is anyone fooled?

AviatorDave
18th Jun 2013, 08:24
Why does Ryanair appear to be liked?

They are cheap.

They have so far operated without major incidents and loss of lives.

People are just going where the fares are lowest, and they are apparently willing to bend over and take the abuse associated with the low fares.

Not exactly my idea of a "popular" outfit, but anyway.

ayroplain
18th Jun 2013, 08:55
and they are apparently willing to bend over and take the abuse associated with the low fares.
I've done hundreds of flights with Ryanair so, unlike many here, I am qualified to comment. I have never experienced or seen this abuse. Could you point me in the general direction of where I might experience or see it (other than the Daily Mail, of course).

racedo
18th Jun 2013, 10:18
Ryanair state results of IATA data

Cue Ryanair haters agononising over dictionary to redefine Favourite or claiming that its all about flying 79 million people to places they don't to go.....

BOAC
18th Jun 2013, 11:13
and they are apparently willing to bend over and take the abuse associated with the low fares. - however, as we have seen, they have their 'bend over' limits.

DaveReidUK
18th Jun 2013, 11:34
Well, Heineken have been claiming for decades to be "probably the world's" best catspiss...Hmmm, looks like Carlsberg could have saved all that wasted advertising money ... :O

Hotel Tango
18th Jun 2013, 11:49
There's no doubt that RYR is a popular choice for the budget conscious masses who are perfectly content with that style of product. The irony is that they can sometimes pay higher or similar fares with RYR than on legacy carriers in the misguided belief that there just cannot be cheaper than RYR. If MOL wants a real challenge he should try and sell me his product :)

racedo
18th Jun 2013, 12:30
There's no doubt that RYR is a popular choice for the budget conscious masses who are perfectly content with that style of product.

David Cameron takes wife Samantha on Ryanair to Granada in Spain | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1374747/David-Cameron-takes-wife-Samantha-Ryanair-Granada-Spain.html)

Tony Blair Flies Ryanair | Online Travel Review (http://www.onlinetravelreview.com/2006/06/06/tony-blair-flies-ryanair/)

Spain's Queen Sofia gives British Royals a lesson in prudence - by taking £13 Ryanair flight to London | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1190295/Spains-Queen-Sofia-gives-British-Royals-lesson-prudence--taking-13-Ryanair-flight-London.html)

Whatever :rolleyes:

Hangar6
18th Jun 2013, 12:49
Can,t argue that FR don't know their market and that they don,t serve it well, so they have earned their marketing opportunity

Well done,

Just leave the little green planes out of it , just for once !

Anyone care to name the date they hit 100 million customers in a rolling 12 month period? Some achievement ,

:D

racedo
18th Jun 2013, 13:01
Hangar

May 2018

Hangar6
18th Jun 2013, 13:18
Mmm maybe they need to mop up some regionals
Still I would agree , May 2018 is likely , wouldn't,t bet against you ...:D

Hotel Tango
18th Jun 2013, 13:19
yeah racedo, do you honestly think that was really out of choice, or perhaps more to do with good PR for the masses? "Oh look people, we're really just like you". :rolleyes:

Phileas Fogg
18th Jun 2013, 14:11
I note the statistics are manipulated purely on "international" figures, what are the real figures bearing in mind that, just as an example, US carriers carry the majority of their punters domestically rather than internationally?

How about the world's favourite domestic airline? ... I'd suggest, that based on the geography of Ireland, the mad Irishman's mob would come close to bottom.

PAXboy
18th Jun 2013, 14:24
Howsoever the figures were derived doe snot matter. MoL has been aiming at that advertising slogan since he became CEO.

Have you any idea just how much MoL hates the Brits? I saw him interviewed about ten years ago and he spat out the names of British carriers and said "I'll show them what a Paddy can do", whatever his precise words, he DID use the word 'Paddy' in referring to himself. He was consumed with passion. it does not matter how he came to feel that way - today he has reached a goal he has striven for.

Well done to MoL and RYR.

ps not MY favourite airline.

racedo
18th Jun 2013, 15:08
yeah racedo, do you honestly think that was really out of choice, or perhaps more to do with good PR for the masses? "Oh look people, we're really just like you". :rolleyes:

Choice because there are others..................U2 fly to South of France and had adverts published assumming Blair travelling with them, Queen Sofia could have had Iberia look after her easily and Call me Dave well no idea what goes through that little brain.

Kind of kills off the idea you promulgate that people have no choice in Flying Ryanair..................they do.

racedo
18th Jun 2013, 15:12
I note the statistics are manipulated purely on "international" figures, what are the real figures bearing in mind that, just as an example, US carriers carry the majority of their punters domestically rather than internationally?

And your point is what ?

IATA - WATS Sample - Scheduled Passengers Carried (http://www.iata.org/publications/Pages/wats-passenger-carried.aspx)

They said INTERNATIONAL not Domestic but if you wish to toil away then IATA stats are there for all to see.

Phileas Fogg
18th Jun 2013, 15:18
Kind of kills off the idea you promulgate that people have no choice in Flying Ryanair

And kind of kills of, quote Branson, that the M25 is the world's favourite motorway ..... Drivers/Customers could use alternative means to avoid the frustrating "passage of convenience" but ... "To hell with it, it's only for an hour or so, let's grin and bear it".

We all have a choice, some go for what is the least favourite because it is cheapest, others have more pride!

Sunnyjohn
18th Jun 2013, 15:29
Cue Ryanair haters agononising over dictionary
If it is me to whom you are referring, I am not a Ryanair hater; however, I did check the dictionary and the correct spelling is agonising.

ExXB
18th Jun 2013, 16:54

How about the world's favourite domestic airline? ... I'd suggest, that based on the geography of Ireland, the mad Irishman's mob would come close to bottom.

Gee, can you guess what the I in IATA stands for? Yes, they are providing statistics on International Air Transport, that's what they do. Cryanair obviously doesn't care as it suits their purpose.

Tightslot - this thread was dumped here from R&N, can I suggest you dump it on JB, this really isn't SLF! Thank you for your consideration.

dazdaz1
18th Jun 2013, 17:26
Has anyone tried the in-flight hot dogs? €5 Bloody rip off!!! If I fly with them again I'm bringing sandwiches. Got my own back, I needed water for my medication ;) (EU law and all that) free bottle.

Daz

DaveReidUK
18th Jun 2013, 17:37
How about the world's favourite domestic airline?SW AL. No surprises there.

Sober Lark
18th Jun 2013, 21:31
With almost 80m bums on seats doesn't the gamecock deserve to crow? Makes some green with envy but still it's a brave rival who'd try to step into the cockpit.

Phileas Fogg
19th Jun 2013, 01:05
And I'd suggest that Luxair is amongst the world's least favourite domestic airlines ... With only one airport in the country it kind of hampers domestic services!

crewmeal
19th Jun 2013, 05:33
I guess there are more chavs flying around than first thought.

TightSlot
19th Jun 2013, 15:11
Sorry, but this thread is bringing nothing new to the party and will not be missed