PDA

View Full Version : Nice gesture to servicemen!

BEagle
17th Jun 2013, 20:12
Travelling back on an overcrowded cattle truck, which First Great Western describe as a 'train', I noticed that the train manager had a number of military badges on his satchel. Including an all-arms dagger, RM mudguards, para wings etc.

"Nice collection - was that you?", I asked.

"No - I wasn't a serviceman. But I feel that anyone who signs up to put his neck on the line should get some recognition. So I have discretion to upgrade certain people to First Class. Disabled people, pregnant ladies and anyone who shows me a Forces Railcard I'll upgrade, provided that they don't make me look foolish by misbehaving. It's the least I can do. The badges? They're expressions of thanks from servicemen who I've upgraded over the years..."

What a top chap! Determined to do his small part in supporting our servicemen in a tangible way.

fmgc
17th Jun 2013, 20:32
I am not convinced about this. Why should they get preferential treatment?

What about firemen, policemen, doctors, paramedics, all save lives and risk their lives? Where do you draw the line?

This too I think is a farce:

The Sun says | The Sun |News|Sun Says (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/sun_says/4508014/The-Sun-says.html)

brokenlink
17th Jun 2013, 20:35
Because they put their necks on the line to preserve the freedoms we enjoy, including speech?

barnstormer1968
17th Jun 2013, 20:39
They should get preferential treatment because this man wants them to have it.

It's a free country, and he has the right to choose!
This freedom was won for me and him by far too many deaths of servicemen and women over a number of years.

BEagle
17th Jun 2013, 20:40

I cannot believe that anyone is so ignorant as to make such a comment....:mad:

500N
17th Jun 2013, 20:41
fmgc

I strongly disagree with you.

"What about firemen, policemen, doctors, paramedics, all save lives and risk their lives? Where do you draw the line?"

The line is, most of those, bar the odd brave one or two a year go home to
a nice warm house / bed every night.

The soldier, sailor, airman and women might go home but
just as likely stuck in some barracks or dusty outpost and
have a much higher chance of getting killed.

As well as seemingly being screwed by the Gov't all the time.

And as for the airlines, why not, it's no big deal, can be done
at check in if they know how full the plane is or when the
passengers have sat down and the staff see free seats available.

Edit
And as the three posters above have said so well.

Laarbruch72
17th Jun 2013, 21:11
I'm with fmgc, I never asked for a free upgrade in my life and I'd be embarrassed to be offered one. I never felt I did anything special during 2 tours each in the recent hot spots, I did a job that I'd volunteered to do.
If I notice one common theme on PPRuNe it's old men of cold war vintage getting either outraged on behalf of currently serving who really don't give a toss about discounts and upgrades, or getting mawkishly misty eyed about their own quiet service years and believing they're owed a free lunch for getting pissed in Germany for a few years.

Chugalug2
17th Jun 2013, 21:11
fmgc:-

You're not from around here, are you?

Brian 48nav
17th Jun 2013, 21:22
If I notice one common theme on Prune it is people like you being disparaging about folk you dismiss as Cold War veterans!

If Falklands War, GW 1, Afghanistan etc had happened one or two generations earlier then those Cold War warriors you so childishley mock would have given the same sterling service as I assume you did. Grow up!

Pontius Navigator
17th Jun 2013, 21:26
Laarbruch, I think I see where you are coming from but I disagree.

Some Servicemen indeed experienced rigorous service that they bore with fortitude. Indeed some probably thought it was bliss (see previous thread about really good ****). As a friend of mine said, I can't believe they are paying me for this.

Then some civilians believe that some Servicemen indeed experienced rigorous service that they bore with fortitude. They feel they would like to recognise this and say thank you.

Now it is inevitable that the latter may not meet for former but by saying thank you to any Serviceman they are both extending goodwill and enjoying a little bit of satisfaction in so doing.

Do Servicemen (and ex-) deserve this more than police, fire, RNLI, etc? That is a whole different argument.

Tashengurt
17th Jun 2013, 21:50
As an ex forces Police officer I'm more than happy to see serving forces personnel get preferential treatment. However, it's true that I risk my neck more often now than I did during my RAF service. I made my choices. I'm happy with that.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

Basil
17th Jun 2013, 22:04
I came closer to being killed in industry and the MN than I ever did in the Army or RAF (I think) but I go along with the OP in thinking it's a generous, agreeable and heartwarming gesture.

Genstabler
17th Jun 2013, 22:06
"old men of cold war vintage getting mawkishly misty eyed about their own quiet service years and believing they're owed a free lunch for getting pissed in Germany for a few years"
Laarbruch, you are an ignorant arse. I am one of those old men you disparage. Borneo, Radfan, Falklands, GW1 to mention a few minor adventures during 34 quiet years. As an RAF mover you must have had a really tough time during your recent 22.

NutLoose
17th Jun 2013, 22:24
If I notice one common theme on PPRuNe it's old men of cold war vintage getting either outraged on behalf of currently serving who really don't give a toss about discounts and upgrades, or getting mawkishly misty eyed about their own quiet service years and believing they're owed a free lunch for getting pissed in Germany for a few years.

You missed NI off the list above :)

Myself as an ex Cold War jobbie that didn't just contain my getting pissed to just Germany, I would never try to get a free lunch out of anyone, nor have I bothered to get one of those Veteran badges...

Neither have I travelled on a train since I last used a travel warrant and have no desire to do so, my memory was of expensive and overloaded trains which frequently meant standing outside the toilets from Fleet to Carlisle... Would I like to see current servicemen upgraded like this, yes.. I would rather see a serving Serviceman being given an upgrade rather than the likes of George Osbourne

MPs ride first class at taxpayer expense - Channel 4 News (http://www.channel4.com/news/mps-exploit-loophole-to-ride-first-class-at-taxpayer-expense)

Avtur
17th Jun 2013, 22:25
Hmm Firemen...Just remember who steps in when they are on strike.

OutlawPete
17th Jun 2013, 22:35
Genstabler, turning it into a pissing contest doesn't impress, we've all done our bit. Laarbruch raises a point that is more prevalent in the younger generation of service person in so much as he's right, they couldn't give a toss about perks such as upgrades etc. They signed up for what they do and we all know that brings its own rewards.

It is however good to see these things happen where its appropriate and I did see something similar at a concert last year where two Royal Engineers were treated like VIP's for no reason other than the security staff identified them as servicemen.

SOSL
17th Jun 2013, 22:44
it's old men of cold war vintage getting either outraged on behalf of currently serving who really don't give a toss about discounts and upgrades, or getting mawkishly misty eyed about their own quiet service years and believing they're owed a free lunch for getting pissed in Germany for a few years.

Those "quiet service years" included more operations than you seem to remember. That's probably because you didn't have an I-Pad at the time!

Rgds SOS

Rhino power
17th Jun 2013, 22:48
What a fine example of an individual showing his gratitude, appreciation and respect for our service personnel in an otherwise cynical world, which fmgc seems to be firmly a part of... Recent events in Woolwich show the danger they face even at home, I'm sure the Railway Manager's simple gesture will be looked upon by the vast majority as entirely appropriate, those that don't can go and take a flying fcuk!

-RP

Genstabler
17th Jun 2013, 22:48
Sorry for upsetting you Pete, but I don't appreciate the service of my generation of Cold War warriors being dismissed so contemptuously by arrogant young arses.

parabellum
18th Jun 2013, 00:40
What about firemen, policemen, doctors, paramedics, all save lives and risk their lives?

Not doubting their bravery or the risks they take but HM Forces go out to meet the foe who has come after them with the intent of killing them, that is a very different kind of bravery with very different odds.

From another 'old fart' - Aden, Oct '63 to Oct '64.

Bob Viking
18th Jun 2013, 02:40
This thread clearly encapsulates all that is both good and bad about pprune in a single page of nonsense.
Someone wrote something nice about an incident that we all could relate to and appreciate. Everyone is entitled to either share the opinion of the OP or to disagree. In this case some chose to disagree which is their right. I'm just not entirely sure what they hoped to achieve by sharing their opinion on this thread.
The Cold War bashing that followed is just a bit weird.
Wouldn't it be nice if just for once a heartwarming tale could be regaled and everyone just took it for what it was. I guess I'm on the wrong forum for that though so in the immortal words of Forrest Gump:
"That's all I have to say about that!"
BV

Scottie66
18th Jun 2013, 04:23
I'm not a Cold War warrior and I was never posted to Germany but I am perfectly willing to accept any freebies and upgrades. Bring it on and thanks to the conductor for showing his support.

Scottie66
18th Jun 2013, 04:59
What a great gesture by the train manager. He gets my vote and should be applauded for offering what thanks he can to Servicemen. I'm not a Cold War warrior and I'm more than happy to accept any freebies and upgrades...bring it on!

BEagle
18th Jun 2013, 06:06
Bob,

How very true. I was talking with an author about PPRuNe over the weekend and he agreed that there are a lot of unpleasant and irrelevant posts appearing nowadays, something that wasn't a feature about 10 years ago.

Incidentally, those who have only served a mere 22 years or less wouldn't have any idea about RAF life during the 1947-1991 'Cold War'.

That the servicemen who were given this kind upgrade later sent the train manager various unit badges does at least show that they appreciated the gesture. He told me that he couldn't do what they've been sent to do, so simply wanted to show how much he appreciated their service in a tangible way.

I was close to pulling this thread yesterday, after reading the absurdly childish posts of some, but decided to leave it in situ so that others can read about the generosity of an ordinary 'man-in-the-street' Or rather, train) towards the UK's Armed Forces.

Laarbruch72
18th Jun 2013, 06:17
Just to set a couple of points straight, I'm not young, I'm in my 40s and on a full pension, and I wasn't a mover.
I don't disparage anyone's service, I just can't stand those who expect a free lunch based on their career choice, I can see that we have quite a few here.

fmgc
18th Jun 2013, 06:21
BEagle,

I am struggling to differentiate between your moderation and your own personal opinion. Shouldn't the 2 be separated?

I am not unsurprised by the responses in a military forum and can understand some of the responses.

can read about the generosity of an ordinary 'man-in-the-street'

Hardly his generosity is it? It's not like he is donating his personal wealth to them.

Wholigan
18th Jun 2013, 06:31
BEagle,

I am struggling to differentiate between your moderation and
your own personal opinion. Shouldn't the 2 be separated?

I believe you may perhaps be under the misapprehension that BEagle is a PPRuNe moderator.

What he meant by "I was close to pulling this thread yesterday", was that as the thread starter, if he deleted his first post the thread would be deleted.

"Pulling" a thread is a right and privilege afforded to anyone who starts a thread and is always their decision and theirs alone.

fmgc
18th Jun 2013, 06:33
I believe you may perhaps be under the misapprehension that BEagle is a PPRuNe moderator.

What he meant by "I was close to pulling this thread yesterday", was that as the thread starter, if he deleted his first post the thread would be deleted.

Gotcha. My mistake.

Chugalug2
18th Jun 2013, 06:51
Laarbruch72:-
I just can't stand those who expect a free lunch based on their career choice, I can see that we have quite a few here.
Is that your beef? I can't speak for others but as one of the Cold War generation it never occurred to me that this train manager might favour the likes of me or of any like me. From the examples Beagle gave it seems he has identified young serving soldiers and the like and upgraded them. How he did that I'm not sure, but haircuts might have something to do with it..and age! So little chance that you or I be embarrassed into politely declining his kind gesture. That's the point, Laarbruch, kindness. As others have pointed out it is at his discretion, much as who is off-loaded is at a Captain's discretion. Neither own the kit, both have the authority.
PS Just RTFQ and see that it was the Forces Rail Card that made the ID. I don't qualify for one so rest easy as I'll stay put in cattle class.

BEagle
18th Jun 2013, 06:56
fmgc, if you don't think that being upgraded from cattle class to first class at the train manager's discretion is an act of kindness and generosity, then there's very little one can say.

Fortunately I never travel on those wretched bottom-feeding LoCo airlines with no upgrade opportunities, but I have been unexpectedly upgraded a couple of times as a 'good customer gesture' on Star Alliance flights - again, without asking and totally at the discretion of the airlines (Lufthansa and Air Canada).

Thank you for the explanation, Wholi' - that was indeed what I was considering.

OutlawPete
18th Jun 2013, 07:00
Sorry for upsetting you Pete, but I don't appreciate the service of my generation of Cold War warriors being dismissed so contemptuously by arrogant young arses.
And neither you should Genstabler. I started my service in the last year's of the Cold War and I know only too well just what went on. Our youth are naturally arrogant, maybe we were too, just didn't realise it!

Pontius Navigator
18th Jun 2013, 07:00
Hardly his generosity is it? It's not like he is donating his personal wealth to them.

That is true in so much as it was in his power to upgrade and no money was involved. This however is true of much 'free' giving. The value lies in the worth to the recipient. To take the 'free meal' issue worth, say, £20. The pre-tax value to the restaurateur is only £16.65. Of that perhaps £5 is the cost of the produce and cooking. Of the £11.65 he pays rates, the staff, and the tax man. A small part is profit.

The cost of the gift is therefore a small element of profit and a small cost of his rates. The value to the recipient however is a full £20 and may be a feel good or embarrassment.

Capetonian
18th Jun 2013, 07:17
This will be fine until some PC knobhead says that the policy is discriminating against people who didn't serve. You can be as sure as night follows day that someone will complain and this chap's well-meant gesture will be a subject for 'disciplinary action' when he comes up for some bull**** 'annual appraisal' with a hair-gelled consultant in a cheap suit and garish tie.

A couple of years on my way to Salisbury from the Army Flying Museum at Middle Wallop, I was in a road stop where two chaps in Army uniform had just finished a meal, as the waitress passed me I asked her to give me their bill. When I went to pay, some miserable old sod sitting at another table cantankerously asked me if I'd like to pay for his too. Yet he might have had a point, for all I knew he could have been in the forces in his past.

Whenurhappy
18th Jun 2013, 07:22
Back to the original post...

I spent almost 5 years as a Geographical Bachelor, on long-distance commutes to and from MB. Only once in that time was I ever shown 'consideration' for being a SP (determined by HM Forces rail card) - me and my family were moved to first class when the carriage was particularly rowdy with Northern round ball supporters. However, in the nigh-on 4 years I have been overseas, on three occasions when I've been back on leave and on a train, I have been quietly upgraded by the Train Manager. I've not asked for it and do not expect it; however it is a nice gesture (TY Virgin Trains) and I hope that when I eventually leave the Service and get a proper job, I can similarly help SP.

And if I knew the 'customer' was a 'first-responder' (a dreadful Americanism) I would also show them some consideration.

It's nothing to do with the Cold War....it's common courtesy.

Pontius Navigator
18th Jun 2013, 07:32
WUH, not quite the same, but not too long back I was travelling 1st Class, as was my right, and produced my warrant to get my ticket (no ticket office at the station). I had not noticed that scrooge had issued a 2nd class warrant.

There was none of the drama that attaches to others supposedly trying for a cheap ride. The inspector accepted that I was not trying to defraud the company and I simply paid the excess.

Haraka
18th Jun 2013, 07:59
It wasn't that long ago that production of a Service I.D. got you an automatic discount on public transport (IIRC around 20%).
Mind you, on what we were paid on those days .......

spectre150
18th Jun 2013, 08:02
I just can't stand those who expect a free lunch based on their career choice, I can see that we have quite a few here

I have just re-read the thread and cant for the life of me find anyone who fits that description. I, like (I suspect) other posters might accept such generosity with a tinge of embarrassment and sheepishness, but do not EXPECT a free lunch or anything else.

So often the case, you hear about stuff like this and the naysayers and 'bah humbug' community decry it.

barnstormer1968
18th Jun 2013, 08:08
Perhaps some posters are missing a bigger picture here.

Feel free to berate Cold War warriors (but at least remember when it started and finished).

I don't think that whether service personnel want an upgrade is the issue here either. Yes, modern service personnel are volunteers, but not all have been, and of the millions conscripted a lot had their lives removed for government policy.

If you think the guard was wrong then look at it another way. The servicemen and women are not asking for the upgrades, yet a large proportion (IMHO) of the population hold british forces in high regard. Further more they feel that the forces are shafted on a regular basis, sent to wars that the population disagree with, are sent with not enough kit and resources, and now being killed by their own side with green on blue killings, and are regularly getting blown up or injured.......only to be discarded by the MOD (again public perception IMHO).

With this in mind, the the general population who also feel ignored and shafted by the government may take come comfort in showing that at least 'they' respect the forces and would welcome an opportunity to show gratitude!

If I may go back in long lost history and mention a Cold War conflict (the Falklands) the two opposing sides had very different levels of public support during the conflict, and this massively affected morale. British troops were seen as doing their bit for queen and country, and were then welcomed home as heroes. The Argentinian forces soon felt ignored and became aware that world cup football was making headlines everyday on the mainland, and they felt ignored and forgotten. Lying on freezing ground with the risk of getting killed every day is not made easier if one knows that your own countrymen have no interest in your conflict, and are much more interested in football.

Further back, the stripping of iron railings from UK homes during WW2 did nothing for the strategic war effort, and in fact wasted precious resources. BUT, it worked wonders for the population as it allowed them to help the troops in their minds.

So, I'm sorry if any poster wants this railwayman to not show his respect or gratitude out of his own free choice. Would the same posters give up their seat on a bus or train so that an elderly or infirm person may sit in comfort?
You would both have paid for a ticket, so what would be the point in allowing someone to sit down..............good manners, respect, free choice etc etc.

Exascot
18th Jun 2013, 08:58
Capetonian:

When I went to pay, some miserable old sod sitting at another table cantankerously asked me if I'd like to pay for his too. Yet he might have had a point, for all I knew he could have been in the forces in his past.

We'll be down your way at the end of the year. I'll let you know which restaurant we are dining in so that you can settle the bill. You will recognise me from the above :E

ShyTorque
18th Jun 2013, 09:38
A couple of years on my way to Salisbury from the Army Flying Museum at Middle Wallop, I was in a road stop where two chaps in Army uniform had just finished a meal, as the waitress passed me I asked her to give me their bill. When I went to pay, some miserable old sod sitting at another table cantankerously asked me if I'd like to pay for his too. Yet he might have had a point, for all I knew he could have been in the forces in his past.

Classic case of the green eyed monster; which appears to be what most of the complainants here have been influenced by.

P.S. I've never had, or asked for, a services upgrade/free lunch/ or special treatment, and to the best of my knowledge, the only time I was given anything was by an appreciative BA crew member who learned from elsewhere we were en route for some refresher training so we could help out at the time of a certain middle east invasion in the early 1990s. It was a free drink and a "good luck and thank you" wish. The sentiment meant a lot more than the drink.

Tankertrashnav
18th Jun 2013, 10:03
I am a member of an internet weekly quiz room and after the quiz members tend chat a bit. One of our number, a woman who lives in the US was chatting and elicited the info from me that I had been in the RAF in the 60s and 70s. Back came the remark "Thank you for your service". I did the cyber equivalent of mumbling a thank you, but it occurred to me that I would not like this to become a knee jerk reaction in this country to anyone who has ever put on the Queen's uniform.

That said, if this conductor ever sees a grey haired old git and his missus on the 1005 Paddington to Truro and wants to upgrade them from cattle class, Mrs TTN and I wont be objecting. I'll make sure I have an old nav brevet about my person to add to his collection!

Basil
18th Jun 2013, 10:32
I'll make sure I have an old nav brevet about my person to add to his collection!
Ah, but you'll have to sit facing backwards and make wild guesses at the ETA :p ;)

Tankertrashnav
18th Jun 2013, 10:38
Tut tut, Basil. Took me years to get used to facing forwards when flying pax in civilian aircraft. Wild guesses about the ETA? Pretty pointless on most trains - getting the date right is about is far as it goes!

Brian 48nav
18th Jun 2013, 10:55
Posts 39, 41,42 and 43 are Prune at their best!

Al R
18th Jun 2013, 11:01
TTN,

Glad to see you'd keep the badge that means something then. ;-)

Samuel
18th Jun 2013, 11:25
A few years ago, I arrived at Lyneham in an RNZAF C130 [after five days flying from Whenuapai!] and accepted a kind offer of a lift to King's Cross where I opted for the chance of a late train to Newcastle. As it was indeed late,about 2300 or so, I decided to buy a couple of beers and wait for the next train which was about 0130 or thereabouts. I was still in RNZAF uniform, "New Zealand" mudguards and all, and was about to pay for my drinks, when a very well-dressed gentlemen, RAF tie and all, leaned over and said:"Allow me", paid, and strolled off!

November4
18th Jun 2013, 12:15
This happened a couple of months ago to a mate of when he was returning to camp after a weekend at home. That was in the Midlands (Not FGW) so would appear that there is more than one train manger doing this.

Brian 48nav
18th Jun 2013, 12:59
Hi, Did you know Trevor 'no toes' Edwards in the Reg't?

gr4techie
18th Jun 2013, 13:14
I've never asked for a discount and never will. I don't think I deserve one, I've done nothing special.

For every 1 soldier getting shot at while clearing a mine field. There must be 1000's of us who have it very easy. I'd feel bad cashing in on someone else's work. That soldier deserves it more than me.

This thread reminds me of that female Navy sailor who decided to fly back from the USA in uniform. I've seen criticism saying there was no reason why she could not have worn civilian clothing like everyone else, she did it just to blag an upgrade.

Tankertrashnav
18th Jun 2013, 13:16
Al R - got a pair of Regiment flashes around somewhere as well ;)

Al R
18th Jun 2013, 13:34
Brian, no, 'fraid not - sounds medical! Are you trying to contact him?

TTN - Glad to hear it! .. and thanks for the Bromsgrove referral. Great service.

Brian 48nav
18th Jun 2013, 13:53
Al, He was a mate of Bill Auckland and is a mate of my son.

I hope he doesn't mind me saying this - he was in the RAF Regiment and got frostbite on an exercise. They were about to medically discharge him and he said 'How about pilot training?'. They agreed, he served on Jags and then QFIed; now a captain with BA.

Sat in with me at LHR Tower a couple of times - Top Man!

Al R
18th Jun 2013, 13:59
God; the ignominy - how does someone ever manage to come to terms with a career show stopper like that? :(

fallmonk
18th Jun 2013, 14:12
Who's to say he doesn't offer the same free upgrade to the emergency services ?
It's just obvious to notice a member of the armed forces as long as he or she is in uniform.
I would never chase or ask for a "up grade" BUT if someone offers me something for nothing (and its legal) never say no ;-)

Willard Whyte
18th Jun 2013, 14:59
Ah, but you'll have to sit facing backwards and make wild guesses at the ETA http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/tongue.gif http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gifMuch like a train timetable then.

And I speak as an ex-nav who is now a trainee train driver with FGW. At last I now get to sit facing forwards with a nice view (once one gets away from London anyhoo).

Hardly his generosity is it? It's not like he is donating his personal wealth to them. No, but technically he's breaking FGW company policy.

Hope I get you as a pax on the last night train, fmgc; you'll end up walking to your destination.

Surplus
18th Jun 2013, 15:19
I don't expect upgrades and I don't advertise my chosen career path, however, I felt truly humbled by the response received when I visited the 'States' in an official capacity. The average Joe was only to pleased to show support by buying drinks, shaking hands and insisting that you cut in the line before them etc.

There are lots of people out there who deserve it a lot more than I do, but it's a credit to the national identity that gratitude is so widely shown.

Basil
18th Jun 2013, 16:03
And I speak as an ex-nav who is now a trainee train driver with FGW
Sometimes travel MAI-PAD and FGW timekeeping is usually great :ok:
At least, if you get off track, it's some other b'staad's fault ;)

teeteringhead
18th Jun 2013, 16:12
At least, if you get off track, it's some other b'staad's fault ... some Navs I've known could still have got off track, even if it were steel rails ........;)

TomJoad
18th Jun 2013, 16:24
Bob,

How very true. I was talking with an author about PPRuNe over the weekend and he agreed that there are a lot of unpleasant and irrelevant posts appearing nowadays, something that wasn't a feature about 10 years ago.

I was close to pulling this thread yesterday, after reading the absurdly childish posts of some, but decided to leave it in situ so that others can read about the generosity of an ordinary 'man-in-the-street' Or rather, train) towards the UK's Armed Forces.

How true Beagle
Do you really think that somewhere with such a vile, wet, midge-ridden climate knows the first thing about barbecues?

Is it even possible to cook porridge, haggis and whatever else the wretches eat over a barbecue?

Standing around a lard-fuelled barbecue in their shortbread-tin skirts in the drizzle whilst swigging IrnBru waiting for the porridge to boil.

Sounds truly wonderful,.....:\

Yes how very true, some people are just plain rude and even worse.:::D:D:D:D

Makes you wonder if they do it to provoke:hmm:

TomJoad
18th Jun 2013, 16:29
Certainly a touching story and while I would never openly seek a freebie due to my service if it was offered then it would be rude to decline. That said, I think we have a good balance here in the UK the last thing we want is overt worship of the military, that's not in the British character. I think equal respect should be given to all in public service. Contrary to what was posted earlier I believe the fatality rate is actually higher in some of the emergency services than it is in the military. Anyway we shouldn't be making crude comparisons like this though, the point is all public service should be valued.

langleybaston
18th Jun 2013, 16:39
perhaps there is a case for a misty-eyed old Cold War farts sub-section? I never wore my just-in-case uniform except for fitting, but a lot of us did something like my:

Nicosia during 1960 end of EOKA then Turks v. Greeks Round 1,
Guetersloh when Czecho was invaded,
all the way up and down Eastern England moving home average every three years for 41 years, trying to teach aircrew some Met. [medal needed for that?]
HQ 1 Gp for the Falklands War
JHQ for the Balkans ...........

yes we volunteered, yes it was well paid, yes the perks were great but some of us at least believed we were doing a public SERVICE.

On a lighter note I too gave preferential treatment. After failing to get the requisite slack handful of A levels for University, I did a 6 month stint as a bus conductor [remember them?] on a big red double decker on the south coast.

Any likely looking girl with low-cut top and lots of leg was sent upstairs with a wink from me, and travelled free. The trick was to be at either at the bottom or top of the stairs as they left: there was often a nice view.

When the Ticket Inspector invaded he usually only checked the lower deck. If he ascended, the girl had, of course, only just boarded. Of course.

Those were the days.

SOSL
18th Jun 2013, 16:55
About 10 yrs ago I was on duty in Rome for a couple of days. Booked to fly home on BA early on day 3. Ran into a tricky situation late on day 2, which included the theft of my wallet.

With the help of the Italian Air Force I reached the Airport later on day 3 and bumped into a Flt Sgt who had been in our party but had been scheduled to RTB later than us. I explained what had happened to me.

BA ground staff insisted that I needed to pay for my flight back to Blighty because I had "no showed" earlier. Trouble was - no wallet. Flt Sgt, bless him, said not to worry and he paid my fare with his Access Card.

When I boarded, cabin crew had heard about my incident and upgraded me to 1st class. Poor old Flt Sgt was still stuck in cattle class!

Sometimes life really, just isn't fair!

Rgds SOS

P.S. I did pay him back when I got home.

cobalt42
18th Jun 2013, 17:02
fmgc - location? Avionics Bay.

No further explanation required... :sad:

Willard Whyte
18th Jun 2013, 18:23
At least, if you get off track, it's some other b'staad's fault http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

One would like to think so, ~90% of the blame gets put on the driver though!

NutLoose
18th Jun 2013, 19:09
About 10 yrs ago I was on duty in Rome for a couple of days. Booked to fly home on BA early on day 3. Ran into a tricky situation late on day 2, which included the theft of my wallet.

With the help of the Italian Air Force I reached the Airport later on day 3 and bumped into a Flt Sgt who had been in our party but had been scheduled to RTB later than us. I explained what had happened to me.

BA ground staff insisted that I needed to pay for my flight back to Blighty because I had "no showed" earlier. Trouble was - no wallet. Flt Sgt, bless him, said not to worry and he paid my fare with his Access Card.

When I boarded, cabin crew had heard about my incident and upgraded me to 1st class. Poor old Flt Sgt was still stuck in cattle class!

Sometimes life really, just isn't fair!

Rgds SOS

P.S. I did pay him back when I got home.

One of the Guys when we went to Sardinia had been writing to a girl in Rome and on a long weekend travelled to see her, he had transport there and accommodation booked. He went down to accounts and exchanged a load of money to Lira so as to show the young lady a good time, Arriving in Rome he went to buy something to find his money worthless, the currency he had been provided with by Accounts had been withdrawn on the mainland and was only valid on Sardinia. Going to the Embassy, they called the Air Attaché out who asked him what he needed and paid it out of his own pocket, when back in Sardinia the money was returned to accounts and wired to the Air Attaché.
:ok: as for the young lady, well I don't know what happened.

smujsmith
18th Jun 2013, 23:06
I can not follow any of the exotic locations, but, as Beagle related as the OP, I remember a really surprising event when "I were a lad". A Sergeant, and sent to Nottingham on the first firemans strike. After a couple of weeks, we were stopped one day, in our Green Goddess whilst on a "training run", by a bunch of striking firemen. Expecting trouble we were all surprised to be invited to the local WMC that evening for a couple of beers. We went, they were great fun to be with, no animosity, an appreciation that we were doing what we were ordered to and some very helpful advice about getting around the local area. None of us were allowed to pay for a beer all night, it was a treat. I like to think that some of that was to say thanks for keeping the fire cover going, a lot of them didn't want the strike in the first place.

A few years later, whilst at Waddington, and with the secondary duty as OIC the Waddington Golf Club ( Yep, a Sgt as OIC, we had no Officers who would volunteer), I was able to invite the Nottingham Fire Brigade Golf Society for a match. The Après "cross country hockey" was most enjoyable, with Food from the mess and free beer all evening. Giving way to the taxiing Vulcans on the Third hole was a novelty for them, and we all enjoyed the day. I just remembered the kindness shown to me previously.

It's easy to criticise, the likes of the train conductor Beagle talked about. I think his attitude was "I can't do much myself, but I can upgrade someone who would welcome the comfort". It's a shame some feel that putting your neck on the line is not worthy of such treatment. Me, I reckon the conductor has it about right. Respect to him for that.

Smudge

OutlawPete
19th Jun 2013, 00:12
Interesting development BEagle. You talk about childish attitudes yet your response to views that differ from yours is to "pull the thread". A bit like an 8 yr old getting beat at football who picks the ball up and marches home with it just because he owns in.

Tom Joad picked up on a link I too had made where you commented on this thread about unpleasant and irrelevant posts yet your own toxic views of the Scots are made all too clear on the Scottish UDI thread with your unwarranted criticism of anything North of the border.

Ironic yet somewhat surprising that you think such extremes would go unnoticed. Personally, my money's on you pulling this thread to save some face.

Haraka
19th Jun 2013, 05:31
I think this thread has certainly identified some of the precious ones who are unable to differentiate between child-like and tongue-in-cheek remarks.

BEagle
19th Jun 2013, 05:39
Nope, OutlawPete, I won't delete the thread.

Feel free to dribble on about unilateral declarations of independence if you wish on that tedious thread; however, it's never going to happen. Whether you're a 'soft southern shandy drinker' or someone living north of Hadrian's Wall, you're British. Those of us living in Northumbria, Mercia, East Anglia, Essex, Kent, Sussex and Wessex accepted the benefits of union well over a thousand years ago; a pity that Salmond and his ilk are so far behind the times.

Toxic views of Scots? Nope - only toxic views of 'nationalists' who spout nonsense about UDI. Who are almost as bad as 'English' EDL nationalists.

Enjoy the midges.....and sorry about Wallace. Although that was 700 years ago!

And now, back to the original thread.

OutlawPete
19th Jun 2013, 06:50
Apologies BEagle. My intention was not to upset you or draw you into a debate on Scottish politics but more to illustrate the double standards seen on this thread.

As you said, back to the thread.

TomJoad
19th Jun 2013, 08:35
Sorry Beagle but you have been measured and found to be wanting. Your op complains about rude and childsh comments. Withouth question given the evidence of your own words hypocritical by any standard. The debate that you so rudely condone is a democratic process. That you should seek to deny its legitimacy says a lot about your condition. Thankfully there are others on the thread who take a more considered and educated view. If you find it tedious then hey dont read or comment on it it really is that easy. Whatevere you choose to do please refrain from your derogatory comments, they are offensive and do you no service.

Roland Pulfrew
19th Jun 2013, 09:16
You have been measured and found to be wanting

In your opinion only. You accuse others of not reading comments properly but the OP does not complain about rude and childish comments (unless of course you mean 'original poster' rather than 'original post'- the risks of acronyms). And I would suggest BEagle is just as entitled to his view of the "democratic process" as you are to yours. If you don't like his comments you don't have to read them (personally I hated the annual midge/horsefly season which made hillwalking/climbing something to be endured rather than enjoyed - so I can't disagree with BEagle on that). So

please refrain from your derogatory comments, they are offensive

Now back to the original thread: I have never asked for a free upgrade because of being a serviceman but I most certainly won't turn one down if offered and within the rules. Actually it's only ever happened once (thank you Air Canada) when I was upgraded from cattle to business :O when flying from Edmonton to UK via Toronto. Sadly the Toronto UK leg was fully booked, so it was back to cattle for me:{

And edited to add:

WRT to the OP, I think that it's a very nice touch from the Train Manager. Good on him.

39 Squadron
19th Jun 2013, 09:19
Whilst eating Breakfast with my Right Seater, on an early Sunday Morning in some Bar, - including a few 'debrief' beers. I attempted to pay my bill, but someone else in the crowd had already arranged its payment.....totally anonymous I might add. Made for a refreshing change given the carnage that we had witnessed (and inflicted) for the pre-seeding 8 hours...and would return to later that night.

peppermint_jam
19th Jun 2013, 09:28
Sounds like a nice chap you met beags, should of get him to join pprune!

Flap62
19th Jun 2013, 09:36
Sounds like a nice chap you met beags, should of get him to join PPRuNe!

Where to start?

jamesman
19th Jun 2013, 10:02
Only last week I was travelling from Glasgow - Bristol on EZY jet. Wearing No2s and having been saluted by two homeless folks in the morning (!) myself and my Army colleague (dressed in combats) reported for the flight and were informed that we should occupy seats 1A & 1C. The check in lady was also despatching the flt and made sure we were all ok. On boarding we were the only folks on the front row and when one of the other pax tried to move after take off, he was told to sit back down as the front seats were for VIPs only!!!

No drinks or food (it was EZY after all), but a pleasureable flight and a good gossip with the stewardess during the flt!

Jamesman

BEagle
19th Jun 2013, 11:23
The debate that you so rudely condone is a democratic process.

Unilateral Declaration of Independence is far from democratic - it borders on the treasonable. In any case, I condemn debate about UDI, I emphatically do NOT condone it!

Negotiated independence, such as in Africa in the 1950s and 60s is something entirely different.

Haraka, too right, me old....

And remember this quote from elsewhere (not mine):

Porridge is what you eat if you can't understand the potato.

Jamesman, good to know that Easyjet are also supportive!

TomJoad
19th Jun 2013, 11:25
I cannot believe that anyone is so ignorant as to make such a comment....:mad:

Case in point

Roland of course in my opinion that is what we do we post our opinions. Now you can dress this up whatever way you want fella, but if you read Beagle's post you will clearly see he was in disdain by agreement of childish and rude comments. As somone once said what has been written has been written. And just in case you were in any doubt yes in my opinion he has been found to be hypocritical.

TomJoad
19th Jun 2013, 11:39
Unilateral Declaration of Independence is far from democratic - it borders on the treasonable. In any case, I condemn debate about UDI, I emphatically do NOT condone it!

Negotiated independence, such as in Africa in the 1950s and 60s is something entirely different ....rtive!

Not only rude and childish then but also ill informed Beagle. There is no debate in Scotland about UDI nor despite the threads title in the thread. The debate is about a democratic process given legal authority by parliament. The use of the term UDI was in error by the op as has been discussed on the thread. Now the point remains you are more than welcome to join the discussion but please accept a civil request to refrain from rude and offensive comments. That's all I am asking fella.

Al R
19th Jun 2013, 11:42
20 years or so ago, the boss and I flew to Brunei for the Jungle Warfare Instructors Course.

We strapped in with BA and played with the vents and read the bumph as the seats around us filled up. I felt a nudge; 'I need to take a leak' he hissed, so I shuffled out and off he went. A hostess approached; "Are you RAF?" she asked ".. if you like, I have one seat upfront that I'd be glad to let you have.. my dad was in the RAF". A quick combat appreciation was required. I glanced towards the occupied cubicle a few metres away and towards the front.. time was running out. I nodded quickly. Times dulls my memory but I like to think he appreciated the small bottle of champagne I sent back at breakfast. Judging from my subsequent 6442 though, I don't think so. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/sowee.gif

Brian 48nav
19th Jun 2013, 13:06
Can you remember when it was? A mate of mine was Air Attache in Rome about 93-94, nice to think it may have been him:ok:

Roland Pulfrew
19th Jun 2013, 13:39
Not only rude and childish then but also ill informed Beagle. There is no debate in Scotland about UDI nor despite the threads title in the thread. The debate is about a democratic process given legal authority by parliament. The use of the term UDI was in error by the op as has been discussed on the thread. Now the point remains you are more than welcome to join the discussion but please accept a civil request to refrain from rude and offensive comments. That's all I am asking fella.

Pot, kettle, over! Yawn!! Take "the debate" back to your UDI thread and leave this one about nice gestures!! :ugh:

Sandy Parts
19th Jun 2013, 14:31
speaking of 'nice gestures' (which we were a few pages back...) Crown Carveries are offering free brekkie or carvery next week to those with ID card or Veterans badge. Details on the Money saving Expert website Restaurant vouchers: the best 2 for 1 offers - Money Saving Expert (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-restaurant-deals) :ok:

Pontius Navigator
19th Jun 2013, 14:57
A number of posters have said they would never seek advantage from being a Serviceman or ex. It occurs to me to ask if they have never browsed the Forces Discount booklet for discounts?

I have benefited from the travel insurance there which has been much cheaper than standard rates, sadly I shall be over the age limit next year.

TomJoad
19th Jun 2013, 16:40
Pot, kettle, over! Yawn!! Take "the debate" back to your UDI thread and leave this one about nice gestures!! :ugh:

Roland, didn't mean to embarrass you fella but you really could do with reading rather than shooting from the hip. Nobody was debating UDI here, rather, from Beagle's previous post, rudeness of posters! I simply drew reference to Beagle's postings elsewhere to demonstrate how they were at odds with his previous comments i.e hypocritical. Twas Beagle that made reference to UDI. As for nice gestures well ok here's one - I'll pass on a tip that was presented to us from the outset of officer training. We were told that respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners. Those that resort to common insults have lost the argument. Always thought that was sound advice.;)

BEagle
19th Jun 2013, 17:09
A number of posters have said they would never seek advantage from being a Serviceman or ex.

But there's something of a difference between soliciting an advantage and accepting a kind offer.

Some years ago, my car needed a new battery. So I rang the local tyre and battery place and asked if they had the right one in stock. They had, so I asked whether they could fit it if I popped in on my way to work. "No problem, we can do that for you".

When I was given the bill, it included 'RAF discount'. I hadn't told them I was in the RAF and had no idea they ran such a scheme - it was just their way of showing support.

I'm sure there are quite a few tales of small companies who've been similarly generous.....??

For you, TomJoad - you seem to need it:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/JCB.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/nw969/media/JCB.jpg.html)

Remember the 'JCB trophy' during CFS groundschool, Roly old chum?

TomJoad
19th Jun 2013, 17:15
Cheers Beagle a token gesture and without any hint of rudness:D:D:D:D

let me reciprocate, you need to look after him better:

http://marthagiffen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/bigstock-cute-teddy-bear-with-a-broken-14253434.jpg

Haraka
19th Jun 2013, 17:20
When I was given the bill, it included 'RAF discount'
I got the same buying a L R Discovery Beags, admittedly many years ago.
I don't know if L R still have the same policy.
(if you wonder why I didn't use the full Company name -just try typing it in on a reply to this site and see what happens :)

NutLoose
19th Jun 2013, 19:30
Nutloose
Can you remember when it was? A mate of mine was Air Attache in Rome about 93-94, nice to think it may have been him

Would be mid eighties, it was about the time the wall fell on and killed a load of Italian Football fans as we were banned from going off base on our own..

I know the guy involved was really impressed because it was a holiday, so everything like the banks were shut, hence the help he recieved was really welcome.

Pontius Navigator A number of posters have said they would never seek advantage from being a Serviceman or ex. It occurs to me to ask if they have never browsed the Forces Discount booklet for discounts?

I have benefited from the travel insurance there which has been much cheaper than standard rates, sadly I shall be over the age limit next year.

Nope, never even thought of trying.

Il Duce
20th Jun 2013, 18:54
Speaking of nice gestures;
Whilst serving in Belize I nipped up to the USA for a long weekend and routed through Houston (this was during Gulf War1). I was in civvies but carrying my RAF holdall and was waiting in the queue at immigration when I was approached by a security guard who asked, "Pardon me, Sir. Are you in the Armed Forces?" When I said yes he took my bag from me and said, "Please follow me, Sir." We promptly whizzed through immigration, passport control and customs ahead of everyone else. He thanked me and "my fellow British brothers in arms" for all we were doing in the Gulf (no matter that I was serving in the Gulf of Mexico) and wished me a pleasant stay in the USA. The public attitude "over there" to the Armed Forces is a million miles from that displayed here. I'm not asking for special treatment - maybe a little appreciation wouldn't go amiss now and again.

I posted the above paragraph 6 years ago on a thread about Veterans' Day - I don't think much has changed in the UK since then. The man on the train should be applauded for his gestures - that's just my opinion; everyone else here is, of course, free to express opinions which may differ. Long may that freedom last.

Pontius Navigator
20th Jun 2013, 21:00
NL, no Forces Rail card? No reduced BR fares on a 1250?

Bladdered
21st Jun 2013, 11:09
www.defencediscountservice.co.uk (http://www.defencediscountservice.co.uk)

fmgc
22nd Jun 2013, 13:15
When I was given the bill, it included 'RAF discount'. I hadn't told them I was in the RAF and had no idea they ran such a scheme - it was just their way of showing support.

I don't have a problem if a business wants to offer a discount or benefit to servicemen but I don't think that businesses should be berated for not doing so.

NutLoose
22nd Jun 2013, 13:27
NL, no Forces Rail card? No reduced BR fares on a 1250?

No longer in, and never bothered with either when I was.

Stuff
22nd Jun 2013, 13:47
I got the same buying a L R Discovery Beags, admittedly many years ago.
I don't know if L R still have the same policy.

They do. The lovely people at L R in Peterborough (where the Military sales team are based) give 13% off the list price of a new Discovery. They will also drive the demonstrator to you wherever you are based so you don't have to trog across country to go and see it.

Basil
22nd Jun 2013, 14:04
Al R,
the boss and I . . . time was running out. I nodded quickly.
10/10 for decisiveness! :ok: