PDA

View Full Version : NHS or private cardiology assessment?

Pianorak
17th Jun 2013, 14:18
A problem shown up on one's ECG during a Class 2 Medical requires a cardiology assessment to be "completed within 2 months". Can this assessment be done by a NHS cardiologist or does it have to be done privately?

Pianorak
17th Jun 2013, 15:03
Thanks bral. My AME has already referred me to a private cardiologist. It was pointed out to me that in addition to the cariologist's professional fees (ca. £300-400) I "may also receive hospital charges for the use of necessary hospital facilities".

opnot
17th Jun 2013, 19:28
if you are a member bupa may pay for some or all of it

Pianorak
17th Jun 2013, 19:41
Alas they don't according to a letter from the cardiologist's office: "Charges . . . are not always covered by insurance companies, especially BUPA".

cavortingcheetah
18th Jun 2013, 05:31
Toddle along to your GP and complain of shooting chest pains which radiate through to your back and down your left arm. This may or may not be a muscular strain as a result of your playing squash and handball with your left arm but you'd like a cardiology assessment just to be on the safe side.

Pianorak
18th Jun 2013, 09:57
Toddle along to your GP and complain of . . .

Yep - am working on that one. Great minds? :O

Jarvy
18th Jun 2013, 21:16
At the start of my heart issues my AME referred me to a private cardiologist, after 2 visits (a few hundred pounds) he said this is getting expensive and that he would switch me to his NHS days.
But at the end of the day the CAA only seem to believe their own so Gatwick might be worth a visit.

Thomas coupling
24th Jun 2013, 11:08
Pianorak: Tell them that and you'll be stuck in medical merry go round for months and months while they double and triple check your "symptoms". Meanwhile you will be grounded.......

Flyin'Dutch'
27th Jun 2013, 22:46
Email sent!

Pianorak
10th Jul 2013, 18:46
Pianorak: A problem shown up on one's ECG during a Class 2 Medical requires a cardiology assessment to be "completed within 2 months". . .

Had the Tread Mill Test (Bruce protocol) done - fail! Today had the more exacting and thorough Myocardial Perfusion Test done - NORMAL. Cardiologist assured me that there is absolutely nothing wrong with my heart. :)

Just shows, don't give up too soon! :=

much2much
10th Jul 2013, 19:04
Just had the Bruce protocol ,today , through the towel in at 7.5 mins thought,i had done the 9 mins but all traces show up normal,i apparently need a 24 hr ECG as i had a cardioversion for a/f,( Arterial fibrillation),cardiologist, said i would have to go private and i am now wandering if i will need another treadmill at cost,to do the 9 mins, the technician suggested some of the Taxi driver get away with both on the nhs as they need it for there job, i want a class 2 to renew my instructor rating, Cardiologist, seem not to be in favor of help since he feels its for leisure!! still i ll try him again;or pay ;any ideas or better just going to gatwick,.

misterblue
11th Jul 2013, 06:03
I claimed the tax back for my private cardio's fees, as it was an essential expense.

Pianorak
11th Jul 2013, 06:43
much2much. . . seem not to be in favor of help since he feels its for leisure!! still i ll try him again

In June my GP was prepared to refer me to NHS cardiologist - but first available appointment not before mid-September.

Pianorak
19th Jul 2013, 09:12
Pianorak: Had the Tread Mill Test (Bruce protocol) done - fail! Today had the more exacting and thorough Myocardial Perfusion Test done - NORMAL. Cardiologist assured me that there is absolutely nothing wrong with my heart.

Just shows, don't give up too soon!

Update: . . . but don't get your hope up too soon either!

Bruce Protocol (senior?) cardiologist still not satisfied despite an excellent Perfusion Test, done by his colleague, and now requires an Angiogram. Well, enough is enough - told them to get stuffed. :ugh:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Jul 2013, 16:02
Don't throw teddy out of the pram.... If a leading cardiologist is not happy you should continue with the investigations. Maybe it will turn out OK - I hope so - but if there is a problem it maybe fixable...

Good luck

Nightstop
20th Jul 2013, 08:38
An angiogram procedure is not a pleasant experience and has a very small risk but is definitive, also the results could suggest treatment that may enhance your life expectancy. Which is more important to you?

cavortingcheetah
20th Jul 2013, 20:54
You only have one heart and heart disease can range from trifling to, well, something much more serious. An angiogram might cost you £1K privately. It'll remove any doubt in what would already appear to be an ambiguous situation and it will give you a base line for the future. You may never need another one anyway, annual or less frequent cardiac ultra sounds being all that may be required.
The procedure is not pleasant but nor is it painful and requires nothing more than a few hours prone resting afterwards with no heavy lifting for a couple of days. You can ask for a little intravenous Valium which will have a wondrous effect upon your nerves at the time of the procedure. The implant does dissolve quite quickly and in the majority of cases there is no further complication.
Faced with even the slightest doubt as to the presence of heart disease, it's a no brainer isn't it?

(Not a medic but not a quack of a patient either.)

Pianorak
21st Jul 2013, 06:26
Heathrow Director Don't throw teddy out of the pram...
Teddy rehomed - sky now perfectly safe! :O

Thanks everybody for their advice. Will discuss the matter with my excellent and GA-friendly GP.

GaryS
22nd Jul 2013, 04:08
This sounds horribly familiar,

When I completed my first Class 2 Medical I was referred for extra tests, obviously I tried the NHS but they kindly informed me it would have to be done privately.

For the 24 Hour Holter / Stress ECG / Echo-cardiogram it cost me approx £900 including doctor / hospitial fee.

For the Adenosine test it cost approx £500.

Once the CAA had all the reports it took approx 2 months to have my Class 2 issued.

Pianorak
22nd Jul 2013, 06:50
Gary - Very pleased that you got your Medical eventually. Haven't got all the invoices yet . . . :rolleyes:

Pianorak
22nd Jul 2013, 18:29
Just had my AME on the phone saying the cardiologist has given the all-clear and I've got my Medical back. It seems the CAA are quite happy with the Perfusion Test result and won't require an Angiogram.

All's well that ends well - at least until next time, I suppose.