PDA

View Full Version : Integrated in Ireland

lineup000
17th Jun 2013, 10:10
Hi from a wantabe! Looking for some info on integrated ATPL in Ireland and looking for advice. I visited a school NfC but spoke to one of their ex students and he said nobody has gotten into an airline there yet :ugh: Also spoke to another school atlantic training and they said 7 of their students got into Ryanair in the last few months. Is there any other schools in Ireland doing integrated? Being told oxford in England have a linkup with ryanair to hire their students, any one know if thats right? any advice? :)

nabanoba
17th Jun 2013, 18:13
That's pretty much it in Ireland at the moment unfortunately. I don't see the benefit of going integrated with either of those schools as there is no job at the end, so you may as well go modular, it's cheaper.

My advice to you would be to research as much as you can and don't jump into a decision. You don't seem very clued in as to what's available, so research as many schools as possible until you find what is right for you. These forums are a great place to start.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask them here or PM me.

paulslats
17th Jun 2013, 19:45
Have been down in Atlantic in Cork, they seem like a fantastic school. To say there are no jobs out there is wrong, you do however have to get the best possible grades and have a good bit of luck at what jobs break and at what time.

nabanoba
18th Jun 2013, 08:50
Just to clarify Paul, I didn't mean there are no jobs. I meant that Atlantic won't help you find one at the end of your training. So it's better to go modular there as it's cheaper.

lineup000
18th Jun 2013, 10:39
thanks for advice. got some good gen from instructor in NFC said the cost changes at the end of the course, last students slapped with bill when the course finished and had to pay before they could get their licence:eek::eek: and no job or interview! out the door..next... Oxford say they give job seeking assistance to past students and get 90% of students jobs, is that right anybody know? looking for the best chance before spending the fortune!

Biggles Boyle
19th Jun 2013, 02:14
Hi lineup00,

I am a PPL student in Northern Ireland in the later stages of my PPL training and hoping to do an intergrated course in September personally if I could offord to go to Oxford AA I would. I think they would give you the best shot at getting a job in the current climate OAA have been around a long time and have links with airlines but its very expensive I think interagrated is the best option regardless of school most airlines seem to prefer that route. You should visit a few schools and choose meet the instructors and students get a feel for the school find one thats right for you. Also maybe look outside ireland and the UK for a school there are good schools in other parts of europe the only one I would avoid would be CTC.

3bars
19th Jun 2013, 06:52
No flying school will get you a job after flight training.... It's a myth! It's up to you to put in the effort to get your first flying job and its not easy. Flight schools provide flight training.... Nothing else

nabanoba
19th Jun 2013, 09:03
Biggles

How can you say in the same post that OAA are great and avoid CTC when both schools do exactly the same thing, albeit CTC do it far more successfully. If you visit both schools, look at their employment statistics and ask current and past cadets you will see that CTC have a far superior placement record. Most of OAA's cadets go to Ryanair which is pretty expensive for a type rating, and is done on the cadets own bat rather than through the school helping them, although admittedly the schools reputation plays a part in helping the cadets get jobs. The only school that will actively help you get a job after training is CTC.

Also I'm not sure how true it is saying airlines prefer Integrated over Modular. Most airlines seem to prefer cadets to do an MPL with them at the moment.

Lineup

If you want decent info on the schools I would read the threads on here about them and when speaking to the school directly you should take everything with a pinch of salt. For example "OAA get 90% of students jobs." Firstly a "job" could be as a flight instructor rather than in a shiny jet and secondly a lot of that 90% would of found employment themselves through a lot of networking and hard work rather than OAA "getting" them the jobs.

Here is a good place to start researching:

http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/504690-2012-ctc-oaa-fte-graduates-review.html

Biggles Boyle
19th Jun 2013, 23:57
These are my personal view have you any statistics links ? not just to other threads. CTC dominates flight training and i cant see why in my eyes they are a pilot factory and have to get studets placements they are threads on this site and other about them and how some students get shafted. But I fail to see what they can offer to someone hoping to get a jet job in the Uk eastjet's expansion will stop flybe's has stoped employing cadets atm to the best of my knowledge. They are not approachable I was on there wesite recently it they the do not answer phone enquirys about training due to the amount of requests this is rubish its a psychological ploy to make people think they are privialged to get any answer from them there are no better than any other school there prices are ridiculas as for the MPL for Im not educated enough to make a comment on i know its a contrversial topic among pilots and some airlines dont accept it . I spoke to oxford over the phone a few times and found them helpful I dont think they are the best school but they are clearly a good school. obviously your a former or current ctc student.
Most pilots/instructors ive spoken to say integrated a few said modular is better but it seems airlines prefer integrated there are pros and cons.

steelbranch
20th Jun 2013, 07:05
spellings, punctuation, grammar - anyone? Don't they teach that stuff at school anymore?

Is a university going to help you find a job? No. So why should a flying school? It's like any other industry - you have to network. Plenty of integrated guys out there with no job, and modular guys that I know have found work. It works both ways. What you put in, you get out, and a bit of luck helps too. Unlikely there's any advantage in going integrated over modular, except that you'll be done quicker, which is great if you can afford it.

Atlantic are good. If you're straight with them, they'll be straight with you. Nobody makes any promises. Research, figure it out and make a decision. If people think you're solid, they'll help you out.

nabanoba
20th Jun 2013, 09:24
Biggles

Sorry for boring all on this thread, this is the last time I'll bite. I have nothing to do with CTC. My advice to anyone looking to get into aviation is to do your own research and lots of it! Every cadet has different circumstances and hence different schools suit each individual differently.

I'm replying to you, because their seems to be a lack of logic in your posts and I think each person should do their own research on a place before making their minds up. In your post you said CTC "are a pilot factory and have to get studets placements". Surely this is a good thing if you're looking for a job after training?! OAA are also a pilot factory, you won't get the same love and attention as you do at a place like Atlantic. But in my opinion they aren't as good at being a pilot factory as CTC. They have a worse placement record, cost more and have a lower satisfaction rate from the graduates I've talked to. The last part is obviously my own opinion based on my own research and is not necessarily correct. The first two parts are fact.

You also talk about "how some students get shafted" at CTC. I'm not saying that this is untrue, and I'm no authority on it. But the biggest scandal with regards to students getting shafted are the OAA cadets on Parc contracts in Berlin. I'm not saying too wrongs make a right, I'm just saying that everyone needs to do their own research and figure out which is the best school for them.

Also you might want to research what an MPL (tagged scheme) is.

Duchess_Driver
22nd Jun 2013, 19:08
thanks for advice. got some good gen from instructor in NFC said the cost changes at the end of the course, last students slapped with bill when the course finished and had to pay before they could get their licence and no job or interview! out the door..next...

Interesting.

The training contract you sign at any school is for a set amount of training. The requirement for supplemental training to make the grade is not usually included in the initial costs and how can it be? When costing flying training there is little room allowed for 'little Johnny' constantly :mad: things up, because we don't know how many times he'll do something stupid!

All integrated schools will have a cut-off point where you either get "chopped" or are asked to cough up the additional cost. Some are quicker to wield the axe, others more patient.

Did NFC promise you a job, or an interview? Did Atlantic? Do Oxford, CTC or FTE? Not a promise I'd make at the start of a course. All integrated schools will have varying degrees of success with placing students, but it should be remembered that when you graduate from whichever school you choose, you will be one of hundreds this year alone, and one of thousands out there still looking from previous years.

I know several ex OAA students who have got jobs with airlines, but most have done so off their own bat with little realistic help from the training provider and most didn't get these straight after training finished! I know FTE, OAA, PTC and CTC grads that are out there looking 3years after the last dance ended at that glitzy grad ball!

It's always going to be a very difficult choice and I don't envy you having to make it, but what worked for someone else may not necessarily work for you!

lineup000
27th Jun 2013, 14:59
Report from Wantabee. I did some research and travel recently to decide which school to pick. I went to an open day for Atlantic Flight training, very interesting i found, The Ryanair recruitment guy was there giving a presentation and he said he recommended Atlantic for their training and standard of student, singing their praises really. I asked later if many students got jobs recently and they said 10 students got onto ryanair courses, their instructor said its not about connections with them but quality of training that gives the guys the best chance of jobs. So sounds like the place to put your money if its Euros your spending:). Also spoke to Oxford and they have a link with Ryanair so most get jobs, place to be if you have Sterling:). Also did some research on NFC and spoke to recent student and he said no students have job any jobs in a few years:{, I was told all recent students overan their course because instruction wasnt great and had to pay extra to finish, not students fault so ill give that a miss. Any advice welcome good or bad before commiting to a school.