PDA

View Full Version : SEP Revalidation

beerdrinker
16th Jun 2013, 11:03
Can somebody please remind me of the latest EASA / CAA rules on re-validating a SEP rating. - By experience and by biennial check flight.

I am led to believe that the UK CAA have just changed things.

Thanks

Whopity
16th Jun 2013, 12:58
Two options as before:

(b) Revalidation of single-pilot single-engine class ratings.
(1) Single-engine piston aeroplane class ratings and TMG ratings. For revalidation of single-pilot single-engine piston aeroplane class ratings or TMG class ratings the applicant shall:
(i) within the 3 months preceding the expiry date of the rating, pass a proficiency check in the relevant class in accordance with Appendix 9 to this Part with an examiner; or
(ii) within the 12 months preceding the expiry date of the rating, complete 12 hours of flight time in the relevant class, including:
— 6 hours as PIC,
— 12 take-offs and 12 landings, and
— a training flight of at least 1 hour with a flight instructor (FI) or a class rating instructor (CRI). Applicants shall be exempted from this flight if they have passed a class or type rating proficiency check or skill test in any other class or type of aeroplane.

The only significant change is that the UK CAA has produced an Alternative Means of Compliance with regard to the dual flight:
UK Alternative Means of Compliance with FCL.740.A(b)(1)(ii) – Revalidation of
single-engine class ratings.
The requirements for a training flight with an FI or CRI, referred to in
FCL.740.A(b)(1)(ii), may be satisfied by receiving instruction totalling at least 1 hour
from the same instructor in the course of a maximum of three flights.

BEagle
16th Jun 2013, 15:06
The UK has also raised a Regulation 14(4) exemption (UK - E3600), which restores the previous JAR-FCL flexibility - hence an IMCR or FI revalidation / renewal may now also exempt the pilot from the dual training flight requirement.

Once Caxton of the CAA gets round to it, the exemption will appear as an ORS4 item.

beerdrinker
16th Jun 2013, 20:10
Whopity and BEagle,

Many thanks to both of you.

BD