PDA

View Full Version : Cub to Ibiza

Monocock
15th Jun 2013, 21:44
Ok, so it's not going to be a quick trip...:bored:

With parents who live there, I have decided a trip to visit them is in order - having promised myself for the past 20 years of flying that I would!! I plan to take my time over it (no choice really...) and to take three days (assuming good VFR weather) to get there, a week there, and three days to return. In accept it might take longer subject to weather, but time isn't really a limiting factor for me so no pressure there.

My question to the learnéd is about the best route for this kind of 'slow VFR' trip. I don't want to go from tarmac to tarmac. I'd prefer to use smaller grass airfields (with fuel) that are sensibly interspersed along the way at 170-200 mile intervals. I'm familiar with flying in France so procedurally I'm happy; it's just the ideal route I'm interested in.

Has anybody done such a trip who can provide me with a good basis for a route/stops I can work on? It's going to be a bit of a 'I'm buggering off for a month' trip really so no worries about a particularly direct route if I can meander off to somewhere worth calling in at.

I'm aware of the potential complexities with Palma and their requirements but I have a plan there...

Torque Tonight
16th Jun 2013, 02:49
Make sure you have all the right safety equipment for over water flights. If you take the shortest sea crossing you are still going to find yourself 40 miles from land in a vintage single engine aeroplane - not a particularly comfortable place to be, depending on your risk tolerance. A more direct total journey will give you an even longer sea crossing.

Torque Tonight
16th Jun 2013, 03:41
Draw a straight line from the UK to Ibiza. You'll abe the shortest total distance but a fairly long sea crossing. Go via Cap de la Nau and you'll have the shortest sea crossing (still 80 miles) but a less direct total routing. It's not that cryptic is it?

SloppyJoe
16th Jun 2013, 03:56
I would try posting in French forum for ideas of interesting stops in France and also Spanish forum for ideas there.

Monocock
16th Jun 2013, 04:50
Draw a straight line from the UK to Ibiza. You'll abe the shortest total distance but a fairly long sea crossing. Go via Cap de la Nau and you'll have the shortest sea crossing (still 80 miles) but a less direct total routing. It's not that cryptic is it?

Thanks - I'd certainly not be planning to take the direct N/S water leg, but would go via Dénia.

Jetblu
16th Jun 2013, 09:43
That sounds like a good trip with no time constraints. I have never flown over to Ibiza, but I have been down to the south of France many times.

Hope the attached French airfield link helps.(It's not mine.) Their are so many nice grass along the way, you are spoilt for choice, although I can recommend Frejus, down by Cannes. It is a 550/600m grass strip that I took an Arrow into.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=grass%20airfields%20in%20france&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.arthurandarthur.co.uk%2FAA%2Findex.php% 2Ffrench-airfields-map.html&ei=poW9UYrmO6qo0wXonoC4Cw&usg=AFQjCNEE8kh9NoKzIBX0Xqn3Pj6GsD4EUg

Have a good trip.

Flyin'Dutch'
16th Jun 2013, 17:43
Can I suggest SkyDemon as a top navigation package?

;)

Monocock
16th Jun 2013, 19:50
Can I suggest SkyDemon as a top navigation package?

I'd rather fly into a CB wearing nothing but a metal G-string than use that Frank!! ;)

I'd also have nightmares about Timothy appearing from nowhere telling me I was using it wrongly.

Jetblu - That's exactly what I was looking for; thank you. :ok:

Piper.Classique
16th Jun 2013, 21:49
Sounds like a fun trip. Remember to take some pictures to show us.
The aircraft has either a continental or lycoming engine, yes? So vintage or not, same situation as any other certificated light single. I fly our cub in straight lines, water not being any more dangerous than large forests or steep hills.
Have a nice bimble and a good time with the family. Remember that many French airfields have grass as well as tarmac runways, sometimes theoretically reserved for home based aircraft but in practice often available on request. Take a PLB and wear your lifejacket where appropriate. I don't think there is a suitable dinghy available for a cub.

stevelup
17th Jun 2013, 07:17
I don't think there is a suitable dinghy available for a cub.

I'm pretty sure you could find somewhere for either one of these (https://www.aerosafe.co.uk/acatalog/HIRE.html) small rafts. I've got the second one, and it's smaller than a briefcase.

overandout
17th Jun 2013, 14:54
you could include Nuits St Georges LFGZ
Delightful grass strip with good hotel on site

FleetFlyer
17th Jun 2013, 15:51
On your way through France, I can recommend stopping in at LeBlanc. They are small and both Tarmac and grass. Charming people, fuel club house etc. they made me very welcome. The Pilatus drop pilot kindly showed me how to start his turbo porter. The whole experience was one of the romance of aviation, rather than the sometimes indifferent reception I've come to expect in the uk.

DaveW
17th Jun 2013, 18:20
I'd be tempted to go down the Atlantic coast and up the middle-ish of France (or vice versa). This assumes you're happy with the IOW-Cherbourg crossing, I guess - which is almost exactly the same distance over water as the shortest route to Ibiza.

Bordeaux - Leognan Soucats (LFCS) is a friendly place which has fuel, although not that cheap and you'll need cash.

On the other side of France, Verdun-Sommedieu (LFGW) is a great place for lunch at the on-field restaurant although possibly further East than you need.

Auxerre-Branches (LFLA) is a pleasant but typically sleepy French rural field, fairly close to the town.

French airfields seem much more likely than UK ones to have at least one hard runway, so a good nosey around the AIP plates on the SIA website (https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/html/frameset_aip_uk.htm) might be an enjoyable thing to do during early planning.

I have an immersion suit that I think would fit you, if you want to borrow it.

The 1:1,000,000 French 'Cartabossy' chart is a useful planning aid, if you've not come across it. Again, if you'd like you can have last years' for pre-trip headscratching.

Sillert,V.I.
17th Jun 2013, 18:27
What a fun adventure! You will likely remember it for the rest of your life, and with a bit of planning, you will remember it for all the right reasons.

I'd probably choose a different route for the outward & return legs, but then again, I like exploring new places.

Remember to make a wish each time you land somewhere for the first time ;).

Have a safe journey, and most importantly, enjoy every moment of it :).

Monocock
17th Jun 2013, 18:46
These are all useful tips - thank you gents.

DaveW, is that you, the DaveW I know from WF? If so, I'll drop in soon and borrow the old chart if that's ok?

DaveW
17th Jun 2013, 18:57
Yep, that's me. My Mum told me I was unique!

Sure - let me know the night before if you can, then if I'm otherwise occupied I'll leave it in the workshop for you.

Monocock
17th Jun 2013, 19:00
Thanks. :ok:

Piper.Classique
18th Jun 2013, 07:08
Hi again
The airfield map looks good. If you have an ipad you can get a nifty app that has all the French visual approach charts. The somewhat similar android app has you downloading them one at a time. Look for iVac for ios and VAC atlas viewer for android. If you çan't get them on the UK store let me know. I expect I will be able to help.

I suppose 6.5 kg for a dinghy is OK if you are flying solo, we are usually two up and where do you stow it for easy access?

Nuits St George is restricted use, either you apply for permission in advance in writing or take a chance on not being ramp checked (rare, but has been known)

Le Blanc or Chauvigny are close to my home. P.M. Me if you need any help in that area.

Oh, and a lot of Clubs will try to find you hangarage if the weather looks iffy, when flying a real aeroplane :) Take decent tiedowns anyway. Learn enough french to call joining the circuit, downwind, final. If you really can't then make the calls in english whatever the carte VAC says. Many small fields are happy for you to go NORDO, but not if there is a radio fitted.......Go figure.

Don't land on microlight only strips unless you have a genuine emergency. It could give them real problems.

P.S. Some of us are ladies. You can tell by the refined language

I think that's all. Enjoy!

Coolhand78
19th Jun 2013, 09:48
Nice trip on a nice airplane.
If it fits in your plan, try to make a stop at LECN. Really good airfield!