PDA

View Full Version : Lt Cdr Vic Sirett and RAeC Record, 13 May 1970

Lee Howard
15th Jun 2013, 20:24
As members will no doubt know, Vic Sirett (known to most as 'Victor George') sadly passed away recently. On 13 May 1970, whilst flying Sea King HAS.1 XV649, he established a helicopter record for flying non-stop between Land's End and John O'Groats, the 602.95 miles being covered at an average speed of 121.15 knots in 4h 19m 21s.

Unfortunately no 700S Squadron Record Book survives and no list of who else comprised the crew for this flight.

In connection with a project I'm currently undertaking I'd be interested to hear from anyone connected with the flight and especially if they have a copy of the Royal Aero Club certificate to mark the occasion.

Regards

Lee

Hangarshuffle
16th Jun 2013, 06:57
I didn't know he had passed away-I really sorry to hear that. I must be one of thousands of ordinary blokes who passed by or met this chap and can remember him well-in my case when he used to come into the Ops Room and Flight Planning investigating some low flying complaint or the like (when he was PRO). What a top gentleman, I used to think - a thing that always struck me about him.

John Eacott
16th Jun 2013, 07:03
I have the signed commemorative envelope from the flight: I'll turn the house upside down and try to find it!

Lee Howard
16th Jun 2013, 09:05
John, good thinking! That would of course have the names of the crew on it. Here's hoping you can find it! Lee

Union Jack
16th Jun 2013, 09:18
What a top gentleman, I used to think - a thing that always struck me about him.

Well said, Hangarshuffle - a gentleman indeed -

Cdr Vic Sirett - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10023845/Cdr-Vic-Sirett.html)

Jack

mmitch
16th Jun 2013, 11:08
Reading that obituary I was struck how little his country honoured him for his service. But then perhaps the respect of his peers counts far more?
mmitch.

Lee Howard
21st Jun 2013, 20:11
Don't suppose you've managed to unearth the flown cover have you, John? I've searched the internet and can't find anyone else with a copy.