PDA

View Full Version : Flying in the Dordogne - recommendations?

tecman
15th Jun 2013, 01:03
I wonder if anyone has any advice regarding aero clubs, flying clubs etc in the Dordogne region? I'm an Australian visiting in Sept/Oct and, while I won't be there long enough to warrant going through the process of getting a foreign licence, I'd like to do a few dual sessions with local instructors or club pilots. I'm a PPL and happy to fly nearly anything, including LSA/VLA aircraft. A search of the threads produced a bit of historical information but I'd welcome comments from people with more recent experience. Thanks in advance.

Piper.Classique
15th Jun 2013, 11:11
Sarlat/Domme is a lively airfield, SEP and microlights. I was there last summer, and there was plenty going on. Egletons is good for SEP, hotel in walking distance. Chauvigny, my base is not in Dordogne but not all that far away (86, Vienne). Pm me if you want to visit LFDW.

Cusco
15th Jun 2013, 23:00
While staying with friends in the Charente a year or so back I pitched up at the Aeroclub De Riberac St Aulaye and had a very pleasant chat with the president of the Club.

The following morning he took me and my friend for a bimble along the River Dordogne in a very tasty Robin: I flew the whole trip apart from the landing: (I hadn't taken my licence/logbook on holiday with me so couldn't prove my assertion that I was a (then) 600hrs PPL but that didn't seem to bother him.)

Wonderful club: I see there are a number of vids on youtube.Well worth a visit: we were made to feel very welcome and finished off with a couple of cold beers with a number of local pilots. Highly recommended
SCriMAodV5Y

Further to the west is Chalais which apparently has an active club but it was deserted when I visited: Seems that a lot of smaller French clube fly weekends only

Good luck

Cusco

140KIAS
16th Jun 2013, 04:51
I can also recommend Sarlat Domme, flew a Robin from there a few years ago.

Bear in mind the airfield is near Domme (beautiful town) which is a few miles from Sarlat (almost as beautiful).

FleetFlyer
16th Jun 2013, 06:21
I can also recommend Sarlat. I got a warm welcome there last summer. Riberac may not be open as they were notammed as shut last summer. Very nice people there though as well as having the biggest flying flea in the world.

tecman
16th Jun 2013, 08:22
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. Having stayed in Domme previously I can attest to the beauty of the area. I had noticed the airfield in passing but our family schedule didn't give me any time off. This next visit to France is a bit more relaxed, fortunately.

I love the Robins, too. Many years ago the DR400 I flew in Grenoble opened my then-new PPL eyes to aviation beyond the spam can. With many more hours now (including of course many enjoyable spam can hours), I still recall the Robin very fondly.