PDA

View Full Version : "The standard you walk past is the standard you accept"

Satellite_Driver
14th Jun 2013, 18:23
Australian Chief of Army, Lt Gen David Morrison, addresses his troops on allegations of sexual misconduct.

Chief of Army message regarding unacceptable behaviour - YouTube

This, for the avoidance of doubt, is what leadership looks like.

(I'm aware that it's been referred to in another thread, but I felt it deserved one of its own.)

500N
14th Jun 2013, 18:31
The message has gone across very well indeed here in Australia.

Apart from what was said, the speed it was released and method
of delivery (you tube video) raised a few eyebrows as well.

tucumseh
14th Jun 2013, 18:56
Brilliant.

I wonder if our UK Armed Forces Chiefs will follow his lead.

No point asking about the Civil Service. The Head of the Civil Service (Kerslake) and Minister for the Armed Forces (Robothan) have specifically upheld the right to act in the ways categorically outlawed by General Morrison.

clicker
14th Jun 2013, 19:02
Now that's a leader I would respect if he keeps to his word.

effortless
14th Jun 2013, 19:03
"The standard you walk past is the standard you accept"

This should be stuck on the wall of every newspaper, bank, every police station, every office, factory and above all, the lobby of the Houses of Parliament.

500N
14th Jun 2013, 19:08
clicker

He'll keep his word, he's a no nonsense officer.

Edit
He didn't go through the Regular Army "Duntroon", instead graduated
from an OCU. For him to get to the position he holds, he would have
had to be very good. That is my HO only on the bias that was in the
system.

He has had some of the top postings of a career officer and you don't
get those in such a small army if you are no good.

Finnpog
14th Jun 2013, 19:16
Hat d'offed.
Top leadership and personal integrity.

clicker
14th Jun 2013, 19:19
500N,

I have no doubt about that. His look and tone of his voice said as much as his words did.

cornish-stormrider
14th Jun 2013, 19:28
BZ to that man
There is a leader I would follow, one simple video.
One well spoken message

smujsmith
14th Jun 2013, 19:44
Sounds like a top bloke to me. Can we get him to move to the UK and become PM. I'm getting pretty fed up of the current (spin every other minute) incumbent. I see we have a promise of no more cuts today. It'll be, "sorry, have to do the cuts to feed the undernourished Pakistanis, their government is busy building more Nukes you know!" What a damn comedy our politicos look, and where are our military leaders. Most of the retired mob that I see these days have taken the back hander (enoblement) and decide to blow a party trumpet. By heck, was I on a rant there, apologies Gentlemen, I'm sure there's a better way of putting it all.

500N
14th Jun 2013, 19:46
He spent two years in the UK training your officers !

Basil
14th Jun 2013, 20:32
I'd have to see the material to judge the reaction. Anyone have a URL?

500N
14th Jun 2013, 20:44
Are you talking about what the culprits involved were viewing ?

I don't think it has been released, I don't think it will be and
any media outlet that does publish it will probably be jumped
on from a great height.

Basil
14th Jun 2013, 20:49
That bad? I thought he meant a bit of light misogyny.

SOSL
15th Jun 2013, 06:07
light misogyny.

Have you ever spotted the word "oxymoron" in your travels?

Rgds SOS

Could be the last?
15th Jun 2013, 07:18
Outstanding. No staff speak, spin or political agenda just to the point!

downsizer
15th Jun 2013, 07:35
Australian Defence Force: Scandal Sex Ring's 'Jedi... | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/8800850/Army-sex-rings-Jedi-Council)

Wensleydale
15th Jun 2013, 08:26
"The standard you walk past is the standard you accept"

That reminds me - must watch "Trooping the Colour" today"!

Basil
15th Jun 2013, 08:38
light misogyny.
Have you ever spotted the word "oxymoron" in your travels?

Rgds SOS
There are degrees of most things, for instance:
Female German pilot transmits.
Some other German male pilot quips: "Eine weitere leere Küche!" or words to that effect (Another empty kitchen)
On a scale of 1-5, how misogynistic is that?

onetrack
15th Jun 2013, 08:40
It seems like quite a number of Australian Army officers, and possibly senior NCO's, obviously missed the education lessons, about "conduct to the prejudice", and "offences which bring discredit upon the armed forces"? :rolleyes:

So ... there's no place for anyone in the Aussie Army who believes in discrimination, belittling and denigration of others, ehh? Ahhh, well ... there's always PPRUNE, then, isn't there?? :E

Wensleydale
15th Jun 2013, 08:58
If all else fails, you could always charge them under "Section 69: conduct prejudicial" which in this case seems quite appropriate.

Boslandew
15th Jun 2013, 09:21
A great message, well-thought out and delivered with conviction and integrity. A lot of people closer to home could learn a lot.

On a technical note, does anyone know why the clip should keep stopping in the middle and at the same place? I have a fast iMac with Fibre Internet connection yet each time I watch, it stops in three places.

Thanks in advance

SRENNAPS
15th Jun 2013, 09:43
Well said Sir :D:D

In my near 30 year career I can think of only two officers that would be capable of saying something like that and more importantly, have the balls to say it; but let’s face it they would not be allowed to say it in our namby pamby nation for fear it may upset or offend somebody.

Boslandew

I have a fast iMac

Say no more :E:E

Basil
15th Jun 2013, 09:45
belittling and denigration
I thought that was part of army banter :confused:

I'd still like to see how serious the alleged behaviour was. I'm getting the impression that it went beyond acceptable joking.

pohm1
15th Jun 2013, 09:56
The Age (http://www.theage.com.au/national/armys-sex-ring-pooled-women-20130614-2o9vr.html)

It concerns a group of commissioned officers and SNCOs who filmed themselves having sex with servicewomen and civilians and then shared the videos amongst the group via service intrawebs.

When it invovles a serious criminal offence, it goes a little bit beyond "army banter," no?

P1

Boslandew
15th Jun 2013, 10:17
SRENNAP

"I have a fast iMac"

Say no more?

Could you elaborate, I'm a user sooner than an enthusiast.

Basil
15th Jun 2013, 10:22
pohm1, Thanks for that.
it goes a little bit beyond "army banter," no?
Yes, I'd certainly say so and, coming from officers and NCOs who have a particular duty to uphold the service, totally unacceptable.

pohm1
15th Jun 2013, 10:28
I watched the you tube clip of Lt Gen Morrison and I wouldn't want to be having a 'hats on' with him.

P1

SRENNAPS
15th Jun 2013, 11:05
Boslandew

"I have a fast iMac"

Say no more?

Could you elaborate, I'm a user sooner than an enthusiast.

Sorry mate, just a bit of banter between a PC user and a Apple iMac user. I obviously did not take on board what the Aussi Lt Gen said :rolleyes:

More seriously, you should have no problems watching the video with a fast iMac and fibre connection. I can watch it with no problems using a, relatively speaking, old PC using an 8 Meg copper connection.

Have you tried watching any other videos to see if the problem arises there? Try watching You Tube in HD (select the small cog type wheel at the bottom). Try selecting the highest mode 720HD or 1080HD and see how it plays.

If all is ok I would suggest that it is just a glitch and would not worry too much about it. It will probably work fine later on in the day or tomorrow :)

PS If you do have further problems, please feel free to message me and I will try and help.

Dunky
15th Jun 2013, 11:08
A great message, well-thought out and delivered with conviction and integrity. A lot of people closer to home could learn a lot.

I totally agree, our own Army have a long way to go to meet such standards.

Boslandew
15th Jun 2013, 13:17
SRENNAPS

I must be slowing down, I can usually pick up the banter.

Many thanks for your comments. I tried using another browser and it worked fine. I suspect that Safari, that amazing APPLE system, was, as you suggested, just a bit overloaded this morning with everyone and his dog catching up on a weeks e-mails or whatever.

Regards

Boslandew

SOSL
15th Jun 2013, 17:16
Re your #19; that's not misogynistic at all, that's just banter, given the context.

Re your #27; now you've got the point.

Rgds SOS

P.S. No offence intended now or earlier.

Chronic Snoozer
16th Jun 2013, 04:04
It is terrrible shame that such displays of leadership are brought about by such sordid events.

The Old Fat One
16th Jun 2013, 08:00
oh well, good for the aussies...

We can't really go down that road, seeing how we've kinda accepted "not-so-private" displays of sexual nature amongst our officer corps as acceptable, judging from a recent well publicised event :E:E