PDA

View Full Version : Fresh FI(A) rating: howto un-restrict?

Metlik
13th Jun 2013, 12:20
Good day!

I'm owner of fresh FI(A) rating and to cancel restrictions I need to release 25 students solo and collect 100 instructional hours under supervision of qualified FI(A). So, what I can count into these 25 solos?
I'm preparing the student for solo, my supervisor making a check ride with him and if everything is ok we release him for solo. And I can put into my papers that I released student to solo flight (25 solos - 1 ). That's right?
Next day the same student needs to fly solo again - do I need a supervisor to release him for solo? Can I count this "next day solo" into my account? (24 solos - 1 )?
The same question about first cross-country solo: do I need to arrange check ride for student with my supervisor to release my student solo? Can I count this solo into my account? (23 solos -1)? Next days cross-country solos - the same questions: check ride by supervisor, my account (22 solos -1)?
Maybe there is some detailed description of this process?
Thank you in advance!

BillieBob
13th Jun 2013, 14:51
One of the restrictions on your privileges is that you may not send a student on his first solo by day or by night or his first solo cross country by day or by night so none of these flights will count towards your 25. In every other case, you must be 'supervised' by a nominated FI but there is no explanation anywhere of what that means.

Under EASA rules the procedure for the supervision of FIs with restricted privileges should be included in the ATO's management system documentation and approved by the competent authority.

Level Attitude
13th Jun 2013, 16:06
As BillieBob says except Part-FCL uses the term "authorise", not "send"
or "release"

Also, I cannot find reference in FCL.910.FI FI - Restricted Privileges to
where it says a Restricted Instructor cannot authorise a student's first
night solo. Anyone care to point to where this is stated, thanks?

So:
I'm preparing the student for solo, my supervisor making a check ride
with him and if everything is ok we release him for solo. And I can put
into my papers that I released student to solo flight
Your supervising instructor authorises student's flight. You cannot as it
is their first solo - There is no "we" - an individual instructor authorises
the student.

Next day the same student needs to fly solo again - do I need a supervisor
to release him for solo?
Not first solo so you can authorise - but only if your supervising instructor
agrees (discuss it with them beforehand).

As an "owner of fresh FI(A) rating " you must just have finished your
FI course - you should have been taught this.

If you are unsure of anything then ask your supervising instructor, that
is their job/responsibility - they may not like you gaining "advice" from
an anonymous forum.

Whopity
13th Jun 2013, 17:26
FCL 910-FI Restricted Privileges
(b) While conducting training under supervision, in accordance with (a), the FI shall not have the privilege to authorise student pilots to conduct first solo flights and first solo cross-country flights.
Para a) (4) (4) for the night, towing or aerobatic ratings.

Level Attitude
13th Jun 2013, 18:35
Whopity,
Thank you for the reply but this does not answer my question.

According to Part-FCL 910, that you quoted, an FI(R) teaching for
the Night Rating who wishes to send a student solo only needs
to ask the question "Is this the student's first solo?" - and I cannot
think of a situation where a first night solo would also be the first
ever solo.

Whopity
13th Jun 2013, 18:49
The first solo for the PPL is not the same as the first solo for the night rating. Para a) treats them as separate items (1) and (4) and para b uses the words "flights" implying that there is more than one first solo.

It is not clearly written, but I do not regard it as ambiguous.

Metlik
13th Jun 2013, 19:01
Thank you for your answers gents!
To conclude:
restricted FI(A) is not able to supervise the first solo of student, but can supervise other solos (second, third, etc...), including first cross country solo. "Restricted" in this case means that these solos shall be coordinated (discussed, approved) with Supervising FI(A). I'm right?

BillieBob
13th Jun 2013, 19:26
Admittedly, the restriction on authorising first night solo flights is not as specific or clearly stated in Part-FCL as it was in JAR-FCL but, since the one is based on the other, it is implicit. FCL.910.FI(b), in setting the restriction, refers not just to (a)(1) and (a)(2) but to the whole of (a), which includes the night rating.

In any case, the restriction on authorising first solo cross-country flights is perfectly clear.