PDA

View Full Version : Best price/ quality combination ATPL distance learning course UK

Bearcat F8F
11th Jun 2013, 20:16
Hi all,

I would like to start studying for the ATPLs (distance learning) soon. I've heard very good things about Bristol Ground School but they charge £2140 + £966 exam fees. So just over £3k.

Are there any other slightly cheaper packages in the UK but which would give equal quality of service/ training?

Thanks!

P.S. Cats aviation is advertising £1400 + exam fees. But that would be for an "Online Course" so without books... not sure what the quality is like either. Suggestions?

Happy Wanderer
11th Jun 2013, 21:32
I studied with BGS and would recommend them wholeheartedly.

Suggest you also try ProPilot (Ipad and/or books) based at Coventry.

Dusty_B
11th Jun 2013, 23:05
BGS or ProPilot. Used BGS and the brush up Cse was spot on. Worked at CVT and have visited/popped in to ProPilot a few times and am very impressed with the setup and ethos.

Dash8driver1312
11th Jun 2013, 23:38
I was at CATS for the in-house course 5 years back. All I'll say is that I hope they've improved. I got the passes, so won't complain.

Richard Phillips
12th Jun 2013, 11:38
Currently through CATS Online.. you can still ask for the £999 course.

acutabove007
12th Jun 2013, 13:20
CATS in house would be my recommendation. Extremely knowledgable instructors. Very profesional teaching with text books and IPad app. Huge company with with very good results and high averages. Check them out.

Bearcat F8F
12th Jun 2013, 22:35
Thanks guys. I wont be doing in house, only distance learning.

I'm interested to know how much the Pro Pilot distance learning course costs. Their website doesn't show prices but it does look quite interesting.

Richard Phillips,

Is it really possible to get away with just the online course? Do you at least get an iPad app? I'm not sure I could bare staring at a computer screen non-stop. Would love to have the actual books or even an iPad app. £999 does sound very cheap though! How are you finding the service?

Thanks to everyone for the useful info :ok:

Gordon Bennet
13th Jun 2013, 06:07
One maxim in life is that you get what you pay for.

Try also BGS and BCFT in Bournemouth.

Segala
13th Jun 2013, 10:33
I believe CATS It's good enough

The Flying Stool
13th Jun 2013, 14:24
I studied distance learning with CATS and to be honest...they were terrible.

They are cheap however, considerably cheaper than most other providers and are much more flexible in their approach e.g. sitting exams in any order, shorter brush up weeks etc.

However I did find them to be extremely disorganised and inconsistent in their approach. As an example, during the change over from JAR-FCL to EASA, CATS neglected to tell me what the changes in the syllabus would mean and therefore I ended up being forced to sit four subjects again under the new syllabus that I had already passed under JAR-FCL. They also seem to be obsessed with selling their CATS franchise around the globe and not actually looking after their students. Essentially, what you get for £999 is a password to use their online system and not much more.

If I did it all again, I'd go for Bristol Ground School. I've never heard a bad word about them.

Bearcat F8F
13th Jun 2013, 14:37
Very interesting! Thanks for your honest replies every one!

Pro Pilot and Bristol cost about the same... hmmm... decisions decisions :E

Gordon Bennet, I don't think BCFT offer a distance learning course :{

Richard Phillips
13th Jun 2013, 16:59
Bearcat
Just email CATS info asking for the £999 course.. They will send a link for payment.

So far not had any problems with them, always had quick instructor responses, though agree with flying stool about BGS..

But, money dictates!

Mr_ATPL
13th Jun 2013, 18:54
Before you decide on a GS, it really depends what you want to do after and where you are now (current location - are you a PPL/CPL/ATPL holder - total hours- general experience / degrees). There are many factors involved in making a sound decision, and please know that the cheapest is normally NOT the best solution !

Bearcat F8F
13th Jun 2013, 20:57
Selfin, I have decided not to go with CATS. Perhaps some people were satisfied with the service but given that a significant portion is advising against it I think I will pass.

trying to decide between BGS, Pro Pilot and GTS.

Pom pom
14th Jun 2013, 07:58
I studied with GTS at Bournemouth - printed manuals (revised for EASA syllabus), followed up with consolidation course. I got 95% average and I'm no academic. Very knowledgeable instructors and friendly to boot. I highly recommend. (Being based at an airport is inspirational too - the sound of jets and the smell of A1 whilst sat in class reminds you what it's all for :cool:)

cumbrianboy
14th Jun 2013, 22:52
Finished my ATPLs with CATS last month. The first stage distance learning, the second 2 in house.

Passed everything first time in 5 months with a 96% average and now happily enjoying my CPL and IR.

I've heard good and bad things about every school. Beware of the schools that encourage heavy use of question banks, in my performance exam for example (in May) the vast majority of questions were new so the QBs would have been largely useless... I didn't rely heavily on the QBanks but I know some do ...

I think with any ground school be it in house or distance learning you get out what you put in. From a DL point of view, YOU are supposed to do the work. The brush up is for the school to check you're ready and iron out any last minute changes. I get the feeling some people turn up at the brush up expecting to be taught 5-6 subjects in a week ...

Ultimately though, you should go with whichever school fits your requirements the best and whichever one you feel the most comfortable with, but beware of the bias of people who say any school is either great (do they work for them) or crap (did they not help themselves and fail?) ...

acutabove007
15th Jun 2013, 12:22
Bearcat F8F

I honestly think you should do some more research as opposed to relying on what is said on a "Rumour Network". As it seems like youve made your mind up from completely false accusation. I am not here to tell you what school to go to, but I think you should look at other places apart from here to source your info as your potentially Turning down some very good school(s).

I understand times are hard, and money has to go further with pilot training as it seems to be getting more and more expensive, but becoming a commercial pilot is not a drop of the hat career. It takes careful planning and research to find out what and where suites you best. There are many FTO who will happily take large amounts of money off of you, and not provide that much in terms of personal development of airline qualities (the sausage factory) where your in one door and out the other, and there are those that really strive to providing you with as much as possible throughout your training career. I know your only talking about the ATPL stage at the moment, but look at the bigger picture...as its that what will make you look different from everyone else when it comes to getting a job.

So I would suggest:

1) Call different schools up with some written down questions and give them a little grilling over the phone (ask all the "what" and "ifs" you can), and especially ask what happens if you fall out of sync with their training (not ready to take exams, or your learning style is slower then how its being taught) as ATPL theory is no joke, its hard and takes dedication and sacrifice.

(I would definitely say from my own experience that having someone teach it to you, and go through it as many times as necessary until its all understood, is key to not only passing those exams but retaining the knowledge for use throughout your career, as remember your captain will grill you on things and you cant just answer him/her with "A, B, C or D")

2) Go visit all these schools that have been mentioned or that your keen on.

3) Remember that regardless of what school you go to, its YOU and only you who can get you through these stages. What makes it easier is Picking the school that will provide you with the most support, and guidance which can only give you more of a chance :ok:

Bearcat F8F
18th Jun 2013, 10:06
OK, thanks fellas. :ok:

I will plan carefully. Thank you very much to all for the input!

sohailshah
20th Jun 2013, 18:44
I was an ex London met student; I joined Cats after The London Met Aviation section shutdown.
I found Cats school staff very help full especially Matt.
He was extremely understanding and very supportive through out of the course.
When I joined Cats I still had 4 exam’s remaining with school help & support I passed them with good grades
There ATPL distance learning course is well worth the money….
Thank you Cats school for all you’re support.